Oz Volvo Nationals 8-10 November - register today! ozvolvo.org/nationals

850 electric fan in 240

Comments

• I did consider that actually but I did check, and it's a pretty solid earth connection.
  • 240 (@240) wrote: »
    Interesting that you should say that...
    As I said, the engine seems to running cooler (about a third up the gauge but the fan doesn't kick in then - only when I'm sitting in traffic and the temp goes up more.
    In other words it can't be the 82° switch can it, because the engine isn't even getting to 82°...

Where is your probe? That might make a difference.
    If your reading on the cold side, it will activate very differently to the hot side.
  • Lower hose
  • 240 (@240) wrote: »
    Which is the cold side.
    So your engine is getting up to temp, continuing to get hot, then after the coolant and radiator are heatsoaked beyond the thermoswitch, the probe finally start reading.

This isnt all bad. So as long as it doesn't spike before it can catch up.

What I found when I was running the probe in the lower hose, the fan would cycle way too frequently. Although was only short periods.
    Where as the top hose (hot) would cycle for longer and less frequently. Which dropped the overall temp further and for longer periods of time.
    Note this is also the position recommended by most cooling systems.
  • blondejay wrote: »
    240 (@240) wrote: »

So your engine is getting up to temp, continuing to get hot, then after the coolant and radiator are heatsoaked beyond the thermoswitch, the probe finally start reading.

Interestingly this doesn't seem to be what happens; the gauge gets to about 1/3 and no higher (because the fan kicks in). What you say makes sense but I don't understand how that's actually happening on my car with it running so cool. Based on what you say I'd be expecting it to run a little hotter than with the mechanical fan...

• Thermostat not working correctly?
    And the faker/gauge damper in effect.

I don't trust factory gauges. As they don't actually show what was going on.
    Mine like lots, sit at a spot on the gauge once at temp and do not move until it's cooled down or over heats and it's almost too late.
  • The gauge in my Discovery reads the same from 75 decrees to 115 degrees.....
    That's why it's getting an aux temp gauge in it soon....
  • I tried installing an electric fan in my 740 but ended up taking it out because I couldn't get the fitting for the sender to stop leaking. One thing I did notice is that the AC did not work as well with the electric fan. I presume that this was because the normal fan runs all the time while the electric one cuts in and out based on the engine temp with no regard to the working of the AC.

Next time I set this up, I intend to wire the aux (electric) fan in my 740 to run whenever the AC compressor is running.
    Vee_Que
  • I wonder if there's a way to use an aftermarket (ie more accurate) temp gauge but fit the 240 face to it... or is that immediately ruled out by the design of the instrument cluster?
  • The temp smoothing is part of the gauge rather than the sender.
    So another gauge does show accurate constant temps.
    The davies craig units I have in bother the 740 and 142 have integrated gauge. Mine reads switching at 85deg (manually set) and will drop as far as 77deg before it starts to climb again.
  • Vee_QueVee_Que (@Vee_Que) South Eastern suburbs Melbourne.
    There is a mod that can be done to make the 240 cluster gauge more accurate.

And the Davies Craig fan controller has an ac input, as in. It can turn both fans on when the ac is switched on, Volvos then ran the ac fan on the front off the pressure switch, if it's always on when the ac is on, the ac runs cooler, particularly in the hotter areas of Australia.
  • davies craig unit Turns on the secondary fan only. (Switch number 2 which generally is set as the pusher fan.
  • GhettobirdJulian (@Ghettobird) Melbourne - SE Suburbs
    I found that when I hooked up my controller up to the AC aswell the bloody system would get too cold and keep cycling on and off!
    I just let the volvo system do its thing and it is far more seamless

One thing I do have to say, If using the Davies Craig system - TOP RAD hose OR top corner fins ONLY!
    I have my sensor in the fins and it is quite slow to react - a spirited drive up the mountains will cool the sensor down too much and the fan will not come on - dispite the stock temp gauge AND an aftermarket VDO 52mm gauge telling me im popping 100 degrees +
    What I would do if using the fins option - is to cut out a piece of plastic - maybe 2cm x 2cm and use it to cover up the fins where the sensor is, It helps keep heat in that area and will improve the accuracy of the unit

I also had to use a 40A Maxi fuse as mine kept eating the pathetic 30 ampres

TLDR
    I have noticed NO performance gain from using an electric fan, but it does sound 10 times better and is overall a LOT cleaner in the front end
  • The ac trigger is via the compressor. So its only cycling when the compressor is running.
    I had mine trigger from my systems existing AC fan, then wired up the existing fan as my secondary - got too cold and the pressure switch would switch the compressor off - The gas is 4 months old and system has no leaks
    Blows cold as hell on a 40 degree day B)
  • Yeah, though the triggering of the compressor is what is supposed to switch the secondary Dan on. As well as the secondary fan switching on 10seconds after the primary fan switches.
  • Vee_QueVee_Que (@Vee_Que) South Eastern suburbs Melbourne.
    I had mine trigger from my systems existing AC fan, then wired up the existing fan as my secondary - got too cold and the pressure switch would switch the compressor off - The gas is 4 months old and system has no leaks
    Blows cold as hell on a 40 degree day B)

The pressure valve is adjustable, I would suggest having that adjusted as it's a lot better to use on the hot days.
    I take it out, I loose my gas... A pointless exercise when the system works very well as is

For the non-believers
  • There is a flat head adjustor on the out side of the pressure switch, no need to remove
    Vee_Que
  • Ex850RSnoopy (@Ex850R) Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Melbourne.
    blondejay wrote: »
    There is a flat head adjustor on the out side of the pressure switch, no need to remove

Which way is colder and what negatives are there?