120 Adrian's '63 122S Restoration

AdrianHDrain74 @AdrianH Elphinstone, VIC
edited January 2021 in RWD

Here is a build thread for my 1963 122S Amazon, first time I have done one of these threads so will see how it goes. I have had the car for a number of years with the original plan to head down a kustom path with it. I had not made a lot of progress, no fundamental changes, when a friend also brought one and we looked at current values.

This has led to a revision of the plan to first restore it to get back on the road and then modify in a way that can easily be returned to original. I intend to return the car to the original color (mist green).

When I got the car, it was running but plenty of body work with rust present in all doors, both front guards, bonnet and boot lid. 

I am currently working on the doors to repair rust damage, replace the door card backing boards which are deteriorated and new seals and guides. 

One of the back doors rubbed down (in etch primer) ready for repair to rust in the lower area and the channel holding the door seal rubber.

KBeedmmChrisalphaxcarnut222AshDVSGreenGLbgpzfm142GingerNinjaVee_Que
Tagged:

Comments

• Good to catch up today Adrain and see the car(s) in the flesh! Some great projects and I look forward to following them!

AdrianH
  • Look forward to seeing the finished product. I bought a 1962 version 5-6 months ago, now named "Mort" which will be a labour of love. Just spent lots of $$ getting the brakes to work again. Twin SU carbies re-conditioning are next on the money pit. Love it!!

carnut222ChrisAdrianHbgpzfm142alphax
  • AdrianHDrain74 @AdrianH Elphinstone, VIC

@Stacka , "Mort" looks great, I would be happy to have my body looking closer to this than the amount of rust in doors and front guards. At least most panels are available as sections to replace. When I get back from interstate work and it is cooler I will be getting back int the rear door for rust repair.

Previously working on the rear door had lead to the window winder mechanism not being serviceable. Does anyone know of a source for the part (no. 87 in the image below).

I believe these differ side to side, I am looking for the right side.

Any advice or information will be much appreciated.

• If nobody on here has one I reckon John Johnson at Voldat might if you want to give him a call - 9553-1091. Another option would be George Opoczynski in Malmsbury - close to you - though I don't know whether he has many mechanical parts. I'll text you his number if you need it (let me know).

AdrianH

@carnut222 : Thanks for the advice, I will see if anything turns up here and try Voldat. Otherwise I will grab the other contact and also follow up another one I have been given.

Once I get back from interstate work I aim to get back onto working on the rear door. I have some replacement channel for the door seal coming to fix a couple of rusted out areas.

carnut222
  • PaddlerEdPaddler Ed @PaddlerEd New England Region, NSW

Rusty wrecks on Facebook has an interior for sale in QLD at the moment. It's been around a few years so not sure what they're chasing on it

AdrianH

Hi @PaddlerEd, thanks for the heads up, will look into it. Now have a few leads to follow up and now home from interstate work will be able to follow these up.

I think I have been able to source the winder mechanism. Collected a door form Voldat in Melbourne yesterday but I am away for the week with work so will be a bit before I can check it out. There could be some other parts on it, will see what can be recovered.

• Vee_QueVee_Que @Vee_Que South Eastern suburbs Melbourne.

I love a good 122 restoration. Been there done that.

bgpzfm142AdrianH

It has been some time since I have been around, tied up with work too much and currently interstate for work again. I have been able to source the winder mechanism along with a new winder handle. Checking through the parts for the back door have found a number of parts to be replaced, working through ordering these.

The door has been rubbed back, in etch primer, with a couple of small rust holes found beyond what was known previously. These will be repairable given the spare door I have for sections. This will be the aim when I am home next on my break.

• VolDanVolDan @VolDan Launceston,Tasmania

I have 3 x doors, but in Launceston, if you wanted to investigate shipping costs?

And a passenger side fender..

AdrianH

Hi @VolDan, I could be interested in the doors and guard if I can work out transport. Might need to do an overnight run on the ferry!

Do you have photos of these? I have been working on the rear right door at the moment, if the others area available and good it would save a lot of time.

• @VolDan and @AdrianH - At some point, I have to go back to the mainland on the barge with a ute and trailer which will be empty going northbound, so if you guys work out a deal and you're not in too much of a hurry for those doors, they can easily go on the next Bruce Ledfoot Express.

carnut222AdrianH

@AdrianH Am away at the moment, will endeavour to procure photos over the next few days. I believe they’re pre ‘66 so might suit. Not looking to profit, so won’t be asking much.

@bgpzfm142 thank-you sir, sounds like a generous offer! We haven’t met up yet? I’d be keen to when you’re free, just don’t have much in the way of show and tell at the moment.

AdrianHbgpzfm142

@VolDan No problem, when you get a chance. I am currently working interstate at the moment and will not be home for a couple more days.

@bgpzfm142 Thank you for the offer, much appreciated. Not in a hurry for the doors what with only 5 days a fortnight at home to work on the projects.

bgpzfm142