S/V/C70 Will's 98 V70R Build
Been lurking for a while but thought I would start a build thread for my P80 V70R.
Someone else may get something out of it but most importantly I'll be motivated to do more to the car and will hopefully get some handy pointers😉 I am by no means skilled (couldn't change oil a few years ago) so any suggestions and tips are welcome. Some of the posts will be about things I added in the last year, if I can find some photos. Enough about me though.
I already have a 1998 silver V70 (Naturally Aspirated) which I drive pretty much solely to the shops. That car is not bad but at 340,000 Kms smaller niggles are getting larger. It might not being worth fixing if the valve stems seals leak more or the transmission kicks it. It is quite nice for a NA as I swapped in the Volvo amp, added an AUX socket, swapped to electric seats, has a tow bar and it has great aircon still (way better than an inter-cooled car would ever have) etc.
So last October I bought a black 1998 V70R for around $4k. This black V70R was not in the best condition but it also wasn't super terrible. I was keen on buying it about a year before when it was selling for around 1500 with a ruined transmission. The car had around 280,000 km and unfortunately is automatic. The guy i bought it from swapped the transmission, redid some vacuum lines, put a new radiator in and swapped to some Propus wheels off a c70 😊
My goal for this car has been to make it basically stock + a little bit+manual. It will stay as a 16T for now but i will get a downpipe, add a trans cooler, attach my R manifold and get a tune. I hope it one day becomes a manual since auto+more power+AWD seems like an auto box killer and even auto AWD boxes arent super easy to find. After that then maybe 18/19T, green injectors, fuel pump, etc. or maybe even a 2.5T swap if the engine fists itself. So many possibilities.
When I got the car there was some good stuff and some bad.
- P80 V70R
- AWD worked and angle gear isnt mauled
- Seats are still intact - small drivers side tear
- No major oil leaks
- Service history until about 2012 (at about 200,000km)
- Newish Pirelli tyres
- 302mm brakes already fitted
- came with full OE timing belt, waterpump kit
- Terribly "fixed" paintwork - the bumpers are peeling, overspray everywhere
- The cat back "custom" exhaust is drony and has no more flow than stock
- Electrical issues - dash wouldnt light up, everything cut out
- Sound system would buzz and cut out
- Minor oil leaks
- groaning and slop in suspension
- ABS light on
- broken trim - steering wheel and centre trim was all broken
- Odd boost behaviour (Would either boost to less than 7PSI or would overboost to like 20PSI)
- Saggy headliner
- Blocked off heater core (can be seen as a pro too!)
- Handbrake didnt really work
- Light rear wheel noise - thinking wheel Bearing or diff
It could have had no engine in it and I still would have bought it.
Got home and swapped out the ABS module, fixed the 6cd changer and swapped the front two speakers for a couple spares I had sitting around. This stopped the issue with the stereo completely as the $20 speakers that had been put in were shorting against the chassis. The ABS light also came off. The next day i swapped the ignition switch out,fixing the electrical issues.
Before driving it again, I needed to change the timing belt. The only record of it being done was at 124,000 kms , more than a decade before. I was not game enough to risk that any longer. I hadn't changed a timing belt and water pump but it wasn't too bad. It was already marked, I had a camshaft tool and it only ended up taking a few hours. The PCV looked like it hadn't been changed so I redid that with an Volvo kit I had.
From there I spent the next few months swapping some parts out.
The laundry list
- Front Brakes - The pins were sticking from spray paint because sprayed the caliper red forgot about overspray. Replaced with new 302 mm rotors, Akebono pads, flushed the whole system and added some OE brakes hoses
- Trans fluid - Drain and refilled approx. 3 L of Penrite Synthetic FS 3 times over the last 5000km
- Power steering- Flushed a litre of the same fluid
- Dizzy and ignition - Swapped the dizzzy, rotor, spark plugs and leads to new OE ones (spark plugs are coppers)
- New Bosch Oxygen sensor - Why not?
- Various hoses - vaccuum hoses, IACV etc
- Front Endlinks - Just used lemforder ones, heard the IPD ones sucked
- Added non-broken trim
- Front grills for the bumper
- Volvo coolant hoses for turbo and behind engine
- Fixed heating
- Snabb air intake pipe - mine was cracking at turbo inlet
- New pierburg TCV - my spare was as bad as the one one there. I also noted that the hoses were on wrong, hence the dangerous overboosting
There has been a lot more since then but this is just the start. Will update with a few writeups on things.