2019 Nationals in Bathurst are 8-10 November, just over three months away! Make sure to register at ozvolvo.org/nationals!

AJ's Ferguson TEA20

DauntlessDauntless (@Dauntless) Central West NSW
edited July 1 in Non-Volvo
A mate convinced me that this should be the next project after the LandCruiser.

DSCF9785.jpg

It's a 1948 model, the first year of production for the TEA20. This means it has the fairly rare 1.8L 80mm bore engine.

It's original apart from:
Converted from 6V generator to 12V alternator
Lights missing
Rear 11.2/28 tyres replaced with 12.4/28
Front 19" wheels replaced with 16"
Exhaust

Work required:
Full rewire
Starter solenoid
Possibly a new starter
Brake overhaul
Paint
Probably something with the hydraulics
Reassemble rear wheels for wider track width
Most likely a full engine rebuild. This will require splitting the tractor. A rebuild kit with 85mm sleeves is available which uses the later model pistons, and is most likely what I'll use. This takes rated power from 24 to 28hp.

16497700.jpeg
SA940alphaxtimbo

Comments

• Make sure you put a roll bar on that widow maker.
  • Splitting them is good fun, I've helped do it a while ago and my dad and brother did it again a couple weeks on my parents TEA20. It's a challenge getting everything lined up nice to slide the two halves back together. Probably ideally a 3 man job.

My parents tractor now has a new rear main, new ring gear and new clutch. Replacement starter being organised as it was found to be flogged out in the process. Surprising how much is still available for them.
    Dauntless
  • Angus242164Angus (@Angus242164) Western Victoria
    You need to come down here at a time when the Lake Goldsmith steam rally is on, there are usually about ten of them there, including one modified for tobacco farming which is raised up about two metres, to clear the plants and spray from above.
    VolvoHordzDauntless
  • PaddlerEdPaddler Ed (@PaddlerEd) New England Region, NSW
    We get a good turn out in November for the machinery show here as well.

Check out Rural Wrecking in Inverell, they might have parts for them - if not Tom will probably know who has got some.
  • DauntlessDauntless (@Dauntless) Central West NSW
    Make sure you put a roll bar on that widow maker.
    Not planning on it, sorry.
    Splitting them is good fun, I've helped do it a while ago and my dad and brother did it again a couple weeks on my parents TEA20. It's a challenge getting everything lined up nice to slide the two halves back together. Probably ideally a 3 man job.

My parents tractor now has a new rear main, new ring gear and new clutch. Replacement starter being organised as it was found to be flogged out in the process. Surprising how much is still available for them.
    Good info, thanks. What was used to support the two halves of the tractor?

The price and availability of parts for them is definitely a major advantage. A full engine rebuild kit with sleeves and pistons is only $600.
    We get a good turn out in November for the machinery show here as well.

Check out Rural Wrecking in Inverell, they might have parts for them - if not Tom will probably know who has got some.
    Thanks!
  • PaddlerEdPaddler Ed (@PaddlerEd) New England Region, NSW
    Good info, thanks. What was used to support the two halves of the tractor?

Heading out to a friend's place this weekend, I'll see what tractors they've got split at the moment out there.

They're often supported by either gantry frames or timber blocks and axle stands.
    Dauntless
  • DauntlessDauntless (@Dauntless) Central West NSW
    You need to come down here at a time when the Lake Goldsmith steam rally is on, there are usually about ten of them there, including one modified for tobacco farming which is raised up about two metres, to clear the plants and spray from above.
    That sounds like a great idea!
    Heading out to a friend's place this weekend, I'll see what tractors they've got split at the moment out there.

They're often supported by either gantry frames or timber blocks and axle stands.
    Cheers!
  • Ex850RSnoopy (@Ex850R) Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Melbourne.
    Make up a simple rhs or angle iron frame on wheels for each side.
    There's big tractor wrecker in the Stoney Rises in Victoria but maybe too far....
    Dauntless