120 1966 122S back on the road

VolDanVVolDan (@VolDan) Launceston,Tasmania
edited June 12 in RWD
Been a very long time coming..

I lost my 1970 P1800E to the Dunalley bushfires of 2013. It was devastating.
As a replacement, we acquired a one owner '66 122s in need of quite a lot of work.
Over the last 6 years I've been replacing too many things to mention, suspension, brakes, exhaust, etc.
Earlier this year we relocated to Launceston.
Over the last few months, the old girl has been in with Deloraine Paint n Panel getting some rust repair and fabrication work done, along with some electrical.
This week she passed her roadworthy inspection, yesterday was registration and new plates, and today...
I'm going to pick her up, and drive her for the first time on the road!
I'm just a little bit excited!
Yee-har!!!

Dan
mc4dg8pkstkv.jpg
nugget_940timboGingerNinjagavinhcarnut222Dave_SALVO360

Comments

• 1971_144GL1971_144GL (@1971_144GL) Launceston, Tasmania
    Congratulations. I was at my Dodge's shack when the fires went through, and that was more than close enough. Glad to hear that you managed to get another early Volvo. Do you think that we can make Launceston the early Volvo capital of Australia eventually?

Who did your roadworthy please? I need to get a 142 and 1800 done. Too many years sitting since relocation to Launceston.

Congratulations again.
  • Sorry to hear about the loss of the P1800. Had a few mates lose Valiants in the Black Saturday fires... some of the panels literally melted.
    Let me be the first to tell you we need some pics of the new pride and joy as well.
  • VolDanVVolDan (@VolDan) Launceston,Tasmania
    Thanks guys!
    I think Launceston is possibly already a mecca for classic cars, so makes sense it should be the early Volvo capital :)
    Pretty sure Automotive IQ in Kings Meadows did the roadworthy, will update if I've got that wrong.
    The auto electrician (freelance) who wired up my odrive relay used to own a 142, so can pm his details if needed.
    Will post some pics later..
  • Well done - another one brought back to life. Do you have any photos?
    Unfortunately not in the clear yet. Rego sorted, but immediate brake problems.
    Too long sitting around before and after my ownership has the pistons seized in the brake calipers.
    Don't know how this wasn't picked up, but in all fairness the car hadn't been driven any distance.
    After spending most of a day to remove 2 out of 6 pistons, new calipers are looking more economical than rebuilding.
    Drums seem fine after adjustment, but won't know til it's all back together..
  • jamesincJames (@jamesinc) Oz Volvo Ice Fortress
    @VolDan how are you getting the pistons out? I usually put a clamp over them and compress until they unstick, then get the compressor onto the fluid fitting and punch the pistons out with the old air mallet.
  • @VolDan how are you getting the pistons out? I usually put a clamp over them and compress until they unstick, then get the compressor onto the fluid fitting and punch the pistons out with the old air mallet.

I had to use my hydraulic press to force at least one of the stuck pistons in my ES back in, then used about 125PSI to pop it out a bit, then press again, then air...eventually it came out. Multiple pistons were extremely stuck...and my car has been driven regularly and had the brake fluid changed every 2 years, so I’m not surprised the pistons isn’t his 122 were a bitch to remove. I’d probably buy new or reco calipers if I had it to do over again. Not sure whether RockAuto has rebuilt calipers for the 122, but if they do, it’s likely to be good pricing. Worth a look.
    Thanks guys. Yes, compressed air and clamps, back and forth. The removed pistons are way beyond pitted and need to be replaced. Weighing up time and cost of rebuild kit + pistons, replacement calipers seems to make the best sense. Waiting on a shipping quote from Scandcar, but i'll look into RockAuto, thanks! :) I guess if you were rebuilding to survive the zombie apocalypse, stainless vs chromed pistons may last longer? Down the track I might look into upgrading to dual circuit and discs all round, but for now, I'd just like to be able to drive :)
    ALVO360
  • @VolDan I'm starting to think that a zombie apolocolypse may not be too far away.
    A couple more photos..hif9ylfgsgna.jpg
    9baxhkycgqdk.jpg
  • What a beauty!
    ALVO360
  • gavinhGav (@gavinh) Parmelia, Perth
    Looks good