I bought this S40 at the start of the year from @Steadfst who I think bought it from @Ballast a few years prior, and I am fixing it up.
It is in interesting condition, there are a lot of random parts missing, e.g. the stainless sill foot plates are mostly missing their screws. Stuff like that. The driver's knee panel is missing. A bunch of trim is missing from the boot.
When I bought the car, I knew:
- The front suspension needs some work
- There is some intermittent non-start issue
- Oil leaks
The oil leaks appear to be driven by crankcase pressure, so I've bought a whole new PCV system, as well as a new timing belt and new cam seals. The timing belt doesn't look very old, but it has been exposed to oil, so no good.
Other things I have found:
- Needs a lower gearbox mount.
- The upper heat shield on the firewall is missing
- Steering rack boots are split
- Headlight beam adjustment inop (I love this kind of thing, I 100% am fixing this)
- Trip computer, central locking switch, child lock switch all inop (it turned out that they were just unplugged 🤷♂️ they all work fine now)
- Tyres probably won't pass rego
- Spark plugs sad, one damaged
- Coil packs OK
- Coil leads sad
- Coilpack wiring harness disintegrating
- Bunch of brittle rubber hoses around the place
- Air filter sad
- Air filter box missing some clips
- MAF clips missing (the ones that attach it to the air box)
- Vacuum pump fuse missing
I've given it a fresh set of OE Volvo spark plugs and Bougicord leads. It runs a bit more smoothly. I've also got a Dave Barton harness repair kit for the coilpack harness.
It's been a slow start while I recover from a back injury but expect to see some stuff happening with this car over the next month or so.