Dave and his forever evolving volvos

13»

Comments

• Interesting I'll have a look my reverse lights don't work unless I hold the gearstick in place so least I should be able to fix that , I know my throwout bearing is dodgy you should hear it haha it's super loud and annoying

• I had the same problem with my 360 when I first got it. No reverse lights unless I held the gearstick to the left. Not that convenient when you don't have power steering.

When I adjusted mine out until my reverse lights came on, it made it really hard to get into 1st,2nd and reverse. I had to find that sweet spot where they'd come on but wouldn't cause issues Shifting.

It only wears out in one spot, which means there is a limit to how much you can adjust it before you need to modify it or replace. If your reverse light switch is worn out too far, I can see if I have a spare one for you.

Some people on 300mania used araldite, but it's apparantely only good for a few weeks or months.

• yeah no power steering makes it abit harder I never bother unless I'm reversing near a cop then I just hold it and act like my car isn't a total piece of shit hahaha

I'll suss it out and see how I go Ive also got that parts car too I can steal things off if need be but knowing my luck it will be broken on it too .

I'll get into it tomorrow and see what I can do I need to fix my Speedo as well that hasn't worked since doing the front struts I'm hoping it's just popped out and I can get it back in I'll need that working for the LH swap plus a Speedo would be handy

ALVO360
  • The speedo cable slips out of the holder in the hub nut cap. I grab onto it with pliers and pull the cable out gently, then carefully put the cap on.

It should only take 5 mins to sort out...caaaaarrnn maaaaan, Nike that sh!t.

pigdog
  • Here is a photo of the reverse switch for the 360. The part that usually wears is the the white plastic actuator/lever on the gearlever. I made a replacement plastic part for the gearlever cut out of a block of nylon then filed to shape etc. T

he whole job took a couple of hours.

pigdogALVO360bgpzfm142
  • Cheers mate good to have a visual of the part before I get into it I'll have a crack at fixing all the little things over the wknd

• pigdogdave (@pigdog) Wollongong NSW

Haven't been doing a great deal to the cars Ive been putting money away for nationals , I'm abit paranoid about making the drive to Bathurst in the 360 haha I've never driven it that far and the idea of being so far from home in the nugget is rather scary , I'll be packing shitloads of tools and spares just incase shit goes down but hoping it doesn't haha

It had a wheel bearing failure the other week so that's been sorted and last week the top seal on the water pump blew on the highway luckily I was close to home I managed to throw some water in and crawl it back so kinda glad that happened now and not on the way to nationals .

If anyone sees a 360 on the side of the road on the way to Bathurst and a tattoed guy screaming at it shits broken and I need saving hahaha

I have cleaned the turbo motor up abit more , gave the block a coat of paint and painted the valve cover a sexy anodised purple .

Also swapped in a geared aux shaft and block mounted dizzy , did the front main and aux shaft seal , crankcase gasket and new sump gasket , after nationals I'll pull the head and put that in to be cleaned and skimmed and do the headgasket then finish of all the other seals ,water pump, timing belt etc etc

carnut222alphaxbgpzfm142
  • Wow nice paintwork on the cam cover! :) And the rest...

pigdogALVO360

Cheers mate it took a couple goes getting it right I took it back to bare metal and painted it but it showed up every little imperfection so stripped it again and used the fancy chrome base coat for this paint and it came out great think I might do the intercooler pipes the same purple with black silicon hoses just wanted something that popped abit without going overboard .

carnut222alphaxALVO360
  • Did you use the Duplicolor Metalcast paint or something else? Interested it hear how it holds up.

I've got some of that paint in the smoke colour to play with as I'm thinking about using it on various bits and pieces in my 242 build.

Yeah that's what I used , it said for use on bare metal or use the base coat I tried on bare metal but it shows up absolutely every little imperfection but the base coat was great and did the job hopefully it holds up well it says it's high heat too so it should be fine

Just a quick update , the 360 is currently off the road i had a rear wheel bearing failure ,that should be sorted in the next few weeks i just did a big order from skandix getting all new bearings, drums , tie rods and lots of other little things it needs which just finally arrived after almost a month .

But the big exciting news is i just bought a 740 turbo donor car for my 240 wagon!!!!

its a 1990 model so assuming LH2.4 it runs great and is super quiet and smooth, ill be ripping the motor and box out over the next couple weeks and ill freshen it all up before dropping it into the wags..

should have a heap of 740 stuff forsale soon to try and re-coop some of the costs , including the hydras if i decide i don't want them ;)

im sure ill be annoying you guys abit over the next couple months because i know absolutely nothing about turbos ive never had one or worked on one so this should be a fun learning experience .

ill get some better pics and go right over the 740 in the next few days when the rain stops and i can get it in the shed .

• What's the 10th digit on the VIN of the 740? That will tell you if it's LH2.2 or 2.4

• Well done! Another 240 turbo wagon to be. I need to pull a finger out and get stuck into mine. Mmmmm, Hydras!

no idea its pouring outside so im not going to check haha ill suss it out tomorrow

ive been meaning to do mine for ages but keep throwing money into the 360 figured its time the 240 got some love then ill go back to the 360 and throw my other turbo motor into that

carnut222

ok i got curious and there was a break in the rain ...... its LH2.4 so thats nice and easy

Motor and trans are out of the 740

timbo242GTcarnut222bgpzfm142