240 Volvo 240 Speed difference

Hi,

Since owning my Volvo 240 wagon I've noticed that the speedo is out. When I do 100Km/h on the GPS the clock is reading nearly 120km/h. Why is this? Should I have certain cogs in the Tacho/Speedo with a certain amount of teeth?

Everything works but it's just clocking up 20% more km's than it's actually doing!!

Thanks,
Martin

Comments

• What size tyres are you running?
  • Have you confirmed the odometer is out (which seems to be your concern). I know both my 240s (91 and 93 wagons) read about 10 kph too fast, but the odometer is spot on (go figure...)
  • Have you confirmed the odometer is out (which seems to be your concern). I know both my 240s (91 and 93 wagons) read about 10 kph too fast, but the odometer is spot on (go figure...)

I must compare my odometer with my GPS, i'm ok with the speed difference if the odometer is correct :)
  • Mines 10kms fast but the odometer is spot on
    If you want to check it, it’s best to bring up google maps or what ever you use set to a destination write down the total distance
    Drive it and compare

Thicker and wider tyres will also throw out the speedo, but even with standard tyres mine was 10kms out
    carnut222morch_66479