The forums were recently upgraded, and this may alter behavior or break things. If you notice problems, check and report them in this thread

My RA23 Celica.

Bought it in 2016. It had a gen5 3SGE/J160 sitting in it on custom mounts and tailshaft, which was as far as the previous owner had got. It had a couple of rusty spots that I took exception to, next thing I know it's a bare metal shell.

X3zaCmrh.png
d0QdFN9h.png
timboSamman88jamesincTrexGhettobird

Comments

• Always had a boner for 70's rally cars. The Celica was one of the prettiest I reckon.
    a3sg7Igh.jpg
    mHOAsmRh.jpg
    ySzJ7LMh.jpg
    BjVSUFIh.jpg
    2EtjltZh.jpg

Some welding happened, and continues to happen.
    timbo
  • Hnnnggg!
    Bought a 1ggte powered Ra23 as my first car in 2013. I regret selling it probably once a week.
  • That car near demands an Atlantic racing motor...
  • CMTK1ALh.jpg
    tI82yHyh.jpg
    wcXYxlDh.jpg
    A 240 diff for it. NAIVssnh.jpg Plus a tasty treat.
  • GTDzZnQh.jpg
    UlyOR8ph.jpg
    YH6aw8rh.jpg
    iZ3RM3ih.jpg
    Got hold of a heater for it when I was in the UK last year. I'll get the ducting and vents etc. at Christmas when I go back. The toyota heater/fan BS was big, heavy, and needed all kinds of repairs and cleaning. The pics of the work I have done are not really in order, now that I'm looking through them. uqtxf1rh.jpg
  • 2sZ98rTh.jpg
    J3h1q92h.jpg
    ySq5GOph.jpg
    ggGt0IVh.jpg It's in Norglass 2k boat primer at the moment. I stripped it in sections, fixing rusty/bent bits and filling trim holes as needed. Overall a very clean shell, and only getting cleaner. I'm yet to sort the gear lever hole. Another UK holiday bit is required for that to happen.
  • Jx1A4Iuh.jpg
    I bought these for it, but I'm still undecided. Tempted to put them in the 240, but the same could be said for the Truetrac.
  • 3kfWvtbh.jpg
    IWeNa1oh.jpg
    Had AJPS do the struts for me. They did a nice job. I had to make the panhard rod longer.
    jamesincSA940
  • fZklRUMh.jpg
    vQEL0Mbh.jpg
    Hopper Stoppers so I don't stop no hoppers. They made me some hubs in 5x108 pattern to match the diff. Various trim bits, most of the bolt-on stuff like this, including the pedal box, has been put in a vinegar bath, treated with KBS products then topcoated. The stainless and chrome bits and bumpers are all in pretty good nick. So that's about where I am with this project. Seat mounts next, then I'll get it on its side and stitch weld all the shit underneath. I have chipped the stone-chip coating off the underbody, it will be cleaned and painted battleship grey. Engine bay and interior will get the same colour. Body colour will probably be white, or white from the bodyline up and red from the bodyline down. Gold Minilites? Fark yes.
    timbo
  • Ex850RSnoopy (@Ex850R) Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Melbourne.
    Quick tip, I see my workmate uses molasses to get rid of rust. Plonk anything in it a Nd it comes out etched.
    Xs4Eyes
  • Such a classic model and a sweet project
    Is this running a Black or red top beams?
    The techno toy tuning control arms look sweet!
    I would recommend getting some dust boots to extend the life of the rose joints though, as that's usually the only complaint I see with their gear
  • Blacktop+box with 48000km on it. I'm yet to crack it open to have a look, hopefully nice and shiny inside. I figured I'd start with the body. Had not touched a welder since high school, getting pretty good on the thin stuff. I could have left it alone and called it good, but it wasn't the right thing to do. Check out the Speed Academy celica on YouTube, sounds awesome.
    timboSpac
  • This makes me happy. Ra23's have a timeless shape.
  • That car near demands an Atlantic racing motor...

OK, that's pretty sexy. It's taken me this long to look them up.
    Ex850R