Greg's 79 245GL Barn Find

1131415161719»

Comments

• Wow, supercharger too now. Such a cool and unique build!

• carnut222Greg S (@carnut222) Daylesford VIC

OK, getting serious now...I’ve painted the supercharger bracket! :) Probably ought to give the engine block a slapdash coat of matching paint as well...hmm!

Robbgpzfm142alphax

Got the exhaust manifold painted with pot belly black stove paint as per George Minassian’s recommendation. Sure looks nice! Just waiting for FedEx deliveries from RockAuto and FCP Euro now so I can start putting things back together.

• jamesincJames (@jamesinc) Oz Volvo Ice Fortress

Ooo I was just thinking about doing that with my manifold, did you have to sandblast it first?

It wasn’t badly corroded James - I just gave it a light scuff with a wire brush and wiped it down with mineral turps before painting.

• RobRob (@Rob) - Lockyer Valley, SE Qld

I did that with mine too and it has lasted reasonably well

carnut222

Got a few more things done today...slowww progress! Cleaned up the thermostat housing mating surface on the cylinder head and installed a new thermostat, gasket and housing. Also installed a new ECU coolant temp sensor. Wow, so easy when the engine is on its side and inlet manifold removed!

Also drilled the new holes for the later-style front bumper trim clips in the lower front end panel. Sanded and primed. Will paint it matte black. Still need to drill the holes in the front guards for the bumper hockey stick trim. From what I can tell, everything should align OK as the front end panel seems to have the same lip and offset as the later cars. The only potential minor issue is the 79 originally had the thin chrome strip above the rubber bumper trim lip. I've removed that and the old clips, which exposed some small holes in the front end panel. From the looks of it, the holes will just be covered by the new-style bumper trim and hockey sticks...fingers crossed. Was going to try to move the red wagon shell out of the hoist bay today but it started raining. While I'm waiting for the engine bits I want to get stuck into the gold 91 wagon...due for the 2-year brake fluid flush and I want to try and install the turbo (B21E) exhaust system I got from GCP...not sure how it will mate up to the existing non-turbo cat...if need be I can temporarily get around that. Dog walk time!

• If you're looking for a home for the old bumper I'll put my hand up.

Not ready to let it go yet Ian as I have the 77 245L that will need that style, so will probably need to mix and match to make up a good set. I know the rubber bits aren’t great on some of them so hopefully I’ll be right with what I have.

Roinik