S/V/C70 2004 V 70 R PCV Replacement

Hi all,

Hope you can help me out

I'm currently in the process of replacing the PCV on the R. All was going smoothly until i came across the coupler which attaches to the fuel rail where the high pressure fuel line from the tank connects to the rail. For the life of me i cannot get the coupler to release and hence this is holding up the job.

I found a link to the coupler on IPD's website that states that thesis "old" style coupler were prone to leaking and hence were replaced with the newer style in the link. The "older" style coupler is the one on my car. Photo of older style and newer style in IPD's link below

https://www.ipdusa.com/products/7754/115619-fuel-rail-line-disconnect-coupler-fitting[/url]

Looking at the older style coupler in the link you would think you would press the green tabs and the fuel line would release??

Can anyone give me some tips to remove this coupler or can i just destroy and replace with the newer style coupler when refitting?

Thanks
Stewart

Comments

• Push the fuel lines together slightly, squeeze the green tabs together and then pull the lines apart. It's easily done by hand unless some damage has already been done to the fitting
  • Thanks Tim. I finally got the fuel line out of the fuel rail. I found the secret by looking at the Youtube video below. The green tabs actually lock in place when you push down. You need to do the top and bottom one and then it comes off easily.

Any idea if i can retrofit the newer style clamp from above IPD link to the fuel rail in case it leaks when put back together?

Also i'm having real trouble with one of the intake manifold lower bolts near the thermostat. I believe i need a 10mm wobble head 1/4 inch socket according to FCP euro. Can't seem to find any at Repco,Supercheap so will try some specilaist stores.

This is certainly a job that tests your patience!!!

Cheers
    Stewart

//https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AA0QHCKuS2k"]
  • Yeah not much fun the first time. I have never had an issue with those fittings leaking so I would leave it and keep an eye on it. You can get a wobble extension bar and use a regular short 10mm 1/4" socket.
    You can't undo that bolt all the way as the thermostat housing is in the way but the lower bolt holes on the intake are slotted to allow you to slide it up and out.
    There's also a 17mm banjo bolt on the underside of the intake manifold that's usually really tight to undo and awkward to start on reassembly.
  • Ex850RSnoopy (@Ex850R) Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Melbourne.
    I've done that bolt with straight 1/4 extension before I reckon!
    cancer sucks
  • Thanks guys for the info.

Snoopy - I have tried all extensions however the thermostat on the "R" prohibits a straight extension

Might look into a shorter 10mm socket and decent wobble extension bar. Any tips on what brand to get?

Thanks
  • Snoopy you haven't had a 2004 model with the different thermostat housing and manifold though?
    Snoopy you haven't had a 2004 model with the different thermostat housing and manifold though?

Nah, just reminiscing about the job on earlier motors, Ahh, the fun!

Any cheapo tool will do if it's the only use you have for it. Amazing how good some cheapie are if only for home use.

But, it's tax time, claim a full tool chest on tax!
  • Better still get work to pay for it....ha ha
    Stahwille then!
  • Hi,

After a day of frustration and several choice words i manged to get the last manifold bolt loosened enough to remove the intake manifold.

The wobble extension and 1/4 inch universal joint do not cut it. You cannot get enough of the socket to catch the head of the bolt (there may be other people who can) as the clearance to the thermostat housing is very tight. I also started to grind down an 10mm socket to see if i could get it securely onto the bolt.

In the end i used an open end spanner. It was very difficult and managed to turn the bolt approx 1/8 of turn each time. After a few revolutions it released enough to remove the manifold.

Anyway a lesson learnt and happy that the PCV replacement will be good when finally put back together.

Time for a beer or two, maybe three!!!

Cheers
  • TzantushkaTrent (@Tzantushka) E. suburbs - Melbourne
    You sir, deserve a beer after that...
    Here, this one's on me!

giphy.gif
    2004 V70 R | 2008 V50 T5 AWD | 2015 V60 Polestar
    egads
  • Hi,

After a day of frustration and several choice words i manged to get the last manifold bolt loosened enough to remove the intake manifold.

The wobble extension and 1/4 inch universal joint do not cut it. You cannot get enough of the socket to catch the head of the bolt (there may be other people who can) as the clearance to the thermostat housing is very tight. I also started to grind down an 10mm socket to see if i could get it securely onto the bolt.

In the end i used an open end spanner. It was very difficult and managed to turn the bolt approx 1/8 of turn each time. After a few revolutions it released enough to remove the manifold.

Anyway a lesson learnt and happy that the PCV replacement will be good when finally put back together.

Time for a beer or two, maybe three!!!

Cheers

I've never had a single issue doing this with my 3/8 wobble end and a long 10mm socket.... does take practice before you get really good at it though...
    I think you need to add i was in an s80 with three wheels getting pulled backwards and was told to "hold on shit is about to get real".
  • https://www.discounttrader.com.au/product/gearwrench-10-piece-14-38-drive-6-point-10mm-socket-set-80319/

It depends on your tool kit but as far as 10mm sockets go this kit is the tits
    Ex850R
  • https://www.discounttrader.com.au/product/gearwrench-10-piece-14-38-drive-6-point-10mm-socket-set-80319/

It depends on your tool kit but as far as 10mm sockets go this kit is the tits

thats just total overkill.... drool...
  • Hi,

Thanks for the beer and the tips for the 10mm sockets....definite drool... I want one!

I finally completed the job and all is back together and running well. The banjo bolt that's underneath the manifold was tricky to get started by perseverance paid off. Also completed a front spring seat (CX90 seats) / mount change as well so its good for another few km's.

Cheers