Removing Volvo 240 vinyl door sill trims

This is an annoying task, but I finally figured out a good process. You'll need:
  1. A heat gun
  2. WD40
  3. A dish cloth
  4. A good razor blade holder
  5. a couple of plastic blades (ebay link)

Note that the blade holders you get with those plastic blades are junk. I used a Trojan blade holder that I already had, and it worked fine and the blade didn't shift around.

t8knrYuh.jpg

The process is then simply apply heat, use plastic blade to peel back vinyl, repeat.

Once you get all the vinyl off, you'll be left with a layer of really stubborn glue. Soak it in WD40 for 5 minutes, then heat gun and scraper, over and over, until it's all gone. If you are planning to repaint the door, you can do this last part a bit faster by using a Scotchbrite pad, which will remove the adhesive faster, but it will scuff the paint a bit in the process. I wouldn't recommend using this method otherwise, as it will leave the paint too thin around the high spots of the bodywork.
carnut222bgpzfm142ljk346Ramrodfunk

Comments

• Heard a caramel wheel also works?
    Inspired by Jungledorifuto's 1980 GL
    Looking for a 240 74-79 model for round light front end conversion
  • jamesincJames (@jamesinc) Oz Volvo Ice Fortress
    You heard wrong
  • I have used a caramel wheel successfully.
  • RaebirdRaebird (@Raebird) Springfield Lakes, Qld.
    I have used a caramel wheel successfully.

I too had success with a caramel wheel...
    360GLT - Will eventually be AQ171 powered!
    240GL - No frills street racecar... Maybe a couple of frills...
  • jamesincJames (@jamesinc) Oz Volvo Ice Fortress
    I did try a caramel wheel, but it was not effective. It may work if the vinyl is in better (or worse) condition than what I was working with? Either way, heat gun and plastic razor blades worked well for me.
    Raebird
  • RaebirdRaebird (@Raebird) Springfield Lakes, Qld.
    Mine was very sun damaged and all cracked, maybe the older it is the better the caramel wheel works.
  • I used boiling water and a fish slice/spatula to remove my sun damaged vinyl. It was slow going, but it got rid of all the gluey residue and no chemicals too. I used a plastic spatula (like you'd use on a non stick pan) which had a bit of flex to be gentle on the paint.
  • what is the best replacement option? Matt black paint or is there a replacement vinyl sticker kit?
  • what is the best replacement option? Matt black paint or is there a replacement vinyl sticker kit?
    Tape kits are available. Here’s one place that has them. May be other suppliers too. You could contact Mark Richardson at VP Tuning to see if he can get them as well as he has connections overseas and I know he sells the bumper tape kits.
    http://www.skandix.de/en/spare-parts/body/body-parts/trim-parts/foils/adhesive-foil-door-shadow-line-kit/1029305/
  • Thanks.
    Is there a guide to fitment?
    I know the vinyl sticker and sign guys use soapy water to help move the stickers around then squeegee it out.
  • Thanks.
    I know the vinyl sticker and sign guys use soapy water to help move the stickers around then squeegee it out.
    No these are not the type of film that has water-activated adhesive (such as window tint). It is a peel-off backing and pressure-sensitive adhesive, so it has to be carefully installed without allowing bubbles to form.
  • Thanks.
    No these are not the type of film that has water-activated adhesive (such as window tint). It is a peel-off backing and pressure-sensitive adhesive, so it has to be carefully installed without allowing bubbles to form.

Thanks
  • Thanks.

Thanks
    No problem! I have a kit to install on my 240 wagon, but not quite ready to do it as I have a back-log of projects. Will make some notes and post on my project thread when I get around to it...
  • @carnut222 ."I have a back-log of projects". Now there's an interesting thread starter.I know I've got 4 or 5 on the back burner,LOL.
    carnut222