2019 Nationals in Bathurst are 8-10 November, just over three months away! Make sure to register at ozvolvo.org/nationals!

S90 XC60 T6 burning oil

Hey all,

My mate has an XC60 T6 R design. Pretty sure it is a 2012 model with 80K km on it.
He's been having to top up the oil every 5K km for the last 20K km. Voldat don't seem concerned at all. They said it was pretty normal when he asked them about it. Whilst I have huge respect for the guys at Voldat, surely a T6 burning enough oil for the oil light to come on every 5k KM isn't normal?
Is this fairly common for the T6? Could it be rings or turbo seals? Should he be concerned?
The car doesn't blow any smoke, even when floored.

Comments

• Hey all,

My mate has an XC60 T6 R design. Pretty sure it is a 2012 model with 80K km on it.
    He's been having to top up the oil every 5K km for the last 20K km. Voldat don't seem concerned at all. They said it was pretty normal when he asked them about it. Whilst I have huge respect for the guys at Voldat, surely a T6 burning enough oil for the oil light to come on every 5k KM isn't normal?
    Is this fairly common for the T6? Could it be rings or turbo seals? Should he be concerned?
    The car doesn't blow any smoke, even when floored.

Fairly to extensively common for the later T6/3.2 motor, There is significant suspicion that it burns oil to slightly reduce fuel consumption for a better Euro rating
    You can overfill them an extra ~1.5L to reduce the frequency of oil addition
    Also my rule is they get serviced (oil changed) every 10k/6 months if you want to extend the life of the motor a bit... though there is still a good chance it will grenade itself early
    cubic25
  • I do plenty of these and don't have customers complaining about oil usage, are you sure no oil leakage also what oil do they use?, Maybe drop it in for a look we are located seaford..........Masons Prestige
    cubic25
  • I do plenty of these and don't have customers complaining about oil usage, are you sure no oil leakage also what oil do they use?, Maybe drop it in for a look we are located seaford..........Masons Prestige

50% of the 100+ I have worked on have this issue, a lot of the customers had the issue while under warranty and got used to Volvo telling them it was normal and so they just add oil and never mention it again unless I ask them about it
    cubic25
  • Masons Prestige

He said he'll bring it in for his next service. Thanks.
  • Thread from the dead.
    My mate just called me again. His last service was 3k km ago. Voldat told him there is nothing wrong with it, yet his oil light has just come on and it was down to the lowest mark on the dipstick.
    Where to from here?
  • Ex850RSnoopy (@Ex850R) Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Melbourne.
    Use decent oil. Check it more often.
  • edited June 28
    Check brake vacuum pump as its a common source of oil leak. Its driven off the rear of intake camshaft
    Check theres no vacuum at oil cap with engine running, i have replaced a few breather box/pcvs