Alex's 360 build thread

Comments

• Congratulations, neat job. Now you can come and fix my 360!!
  • Congratulations, neat job. Now you can come and fix my 360!!

Can Do! I accept payment in Volvo's, Gold, silver, pats on the back and Hens teeth (so I can finally finish my 360 project).
  • Yep, understand your request, you must be nearly as bad and desperate as me!!!
    ALVO360
  • edited June 25
    Installed a new master cylinder. I thought I may as well since its likely a vintage unit with vintage seals. I thought it wasn't leaking but it was seeping at the booster. New Master Cylinder was branded 'TRW'. Seems to be a good unit.

I also wrapped the New downpipe. I asked the exhaust shop to do it and they said they'd make a heat shield. Never happened.

ykhjgxevxnyo.jpg
    3a0uyhf3kcfs.jpg
    cgb0a373d4wc.jpg
    Vee_Que
  • edited June 25
    I was having brake drag issues, mainly noticeable on the front right wheel. After replacing the master cylinder I have realised that the wobble id get in the steering over 80kmph (just like an out-of-balance wheel) and the tracking issue I was experiencing when driving over bumps or grooves in the road, were all due to a bad master cylinder causing brake drag.

The old master cylinder's pistons were jamming throughout their travel and causing a hard brake pedal feel and the brakes to drag. Maybe due to the fluid return port being blocked off from the pistons not seating properly?

Replacing the master cylinder was next on my list of replacements anyway, it just so happened to solve 4 of the issues I was having. Bonus.

I guess sometimes you win some and sometimes you lose some.

Clutch is still slipping, even on base boost. I'm going to try @Laurie 's suggestion and degrease it and wash it all out. If that doesn't help then the engine needs to come out....AGAIN! :angry: that would make it the second time the engine has been out for clutch related issues in 3000kms.

WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!
    timbobgpzfm142Vee_Que
  • Here is the full technique for degreasing an oily clutch. 1. Jack up car and remove rubber cover. 2. Start the engine and let it idle to get the clutch hot (in neutral of course). 3. Press gang a helper to disengage the clutch and engage it repeatedly, leaving the pedal depressed for 3/4 seconds at a time while spraying degreaser into the works. 4. Every 5/6 cycles get the helper to take foot off the clutch for a minute or two so that the degreaser is squeezed out. 5. Repeat until you have used two cans of degreaser. 6. Hose out with hot water and grease all the moving parts.

Remember the bearing in the flywheel could get a dose of water but a hot engine, flywheel etc should drive any moisture off. Take the car for a good drive to warm things up to operating temperature.

It is recommended that the rear wheels are off the ground and put the car on stands. I had a silly f*$&*#% helper try first gear while I was under the car. I have never moved so fast before or since. The 360 I tried this remedy on only pulls 86kw on a good tank of juice and the clutch has never slipped in about 400k since. The car had covered about 400k then.
    ALVO360
  • Thanks @Laurie . How did you hose out with hot water? I guess I could connect a garden hose to my laundry tap or use a weed sprayer type bottle?
  • Use a Short length of garden hose fitted with a bolt drilled with a 4mm hole down it and screwed into hose and clamped. That gives gives a good powerful water jet. I used the hot water tap in the garage. The hose was just long enough to do the job outside. I did not have to mow that bit of grass for a few months!

BTW, if you have good water pressure, the jet of water should travel about 10/15 meters at least. Also was good for deterring next doors cats from pissing in our place. I now have a high pressure (1500psi) hot/cold water sprayer for general under car/boat cleaning but not had to use it on the clutch.
    Also on another 360 I had to change the clutch plate etc. The gearbox/diff was unbolted at the crossmember, cv joints and lowered on a trolley jack. Put a jack under the motor. Unbolt the bell housing and slide the whole assembly rearward just enough to get comfortably at the clutch bolts. It beats taking the engine out by hours.
    ALVO360
  • This method seemed to have solved the clutch slipping with base boost.

Here's my hot water supply:
    vgqsuhuj19p3.jpg
  • Good news Alex!
    With only about 3k on the new clutch it more than likely it is not really bedded in. With close examination the surface of the plate you would find it slightly rough and not "polished", slightly porous look. So at the unlikely worst there could still be traces of oil embedded in the surface of the clutch plate. However this oil will burn off as as the plate beds in over the next 2k or so on light boost. No dragging at the lights for a while!
    ALVO360
  • edited June 26
    @Laurie I didn't have a helper so instead I sprayed, then started the car while pumping the clutch, then sprayed again and repeated. Used 3 cans of degreaser.

Hosing out: I started the car, sprayed water into the bellhousing then jumped in the car and pumped the clutch several times. I repeated this process about 10 times while the car was running.

I've put the manual boost controller back in and I plan on testing if it will hold boost at 10 psi.
  • Grill + new number plate 🙄
    ec58f9g9c8ge.jpg
  • pigdogdave (@pigdog) Wollongong NSW
    you have done so much work man its bloody awesome mine is an absolute nugget compared to yours
    ALVO360
  • @pigdog and I'm still not finished, it's madness! Still have the rear of the car to sort out like wheel bearings, brake cylinders, gearbox and mounts etc. Plus I'm yet to replace the fuel pump and filters.

I'm sure yours is fine. You've replaced a fair bit haven't you? I don't think there are many 360's around that look awesome. Actually, I think @laurie owns them all haha.

The body and paint is rough on mine. I just can't bring myself to spend any $$ on it right now...or ever...(again). I'd rather spend $10k on a sweet gearbox and diff setup and build build a motor to handle 200-250kw and some nice torque levels.

At the end of the day, the car is what you make of it. For some sick reason I have an obsession these 360's. In all honesty, there are countless other cars which would be better to sink you $$ into, but for me, I like 'em and its worth it. Although chasing simple parts which are discontinued (like the release bearing), and only really having one option for performance parts, creates obstacles which are extremely frustrating.

I take it one day at a time with this crap.
    Vee_Que
  • Look at the All matters 360 thread.
    ALVO360
  • pigdogdave (@pigdog) Wollongong NSW
    @pigdog and I'm still not finished, it's madness! Still have the rear of the car to sort out like wheel bearings, brake cylinders, gearbox and mounts etc. Plus I'm yet to replace the fuel pump and filters.

I'm sure yours is fine. You've replaced a fair bit haven't you? I don't think there are many 360's around that look awesome. Actually, I think @laurie owns them all haha.

The body and paint is rough on mine. I just can't bring myself to spend any $$ on it right now...or ever...(again). I'd rather spend $10k on a sweet gearbox and diff setup and build build a motor to handle 200-250kw and some nice torque levels.

At the end of the day, the car is what you make of it. For some sick reason I have an obsession these 360's. In all honesty, there are countless other cars which would be better to sink you $$ into, but for me, I like 'em and its worth it. Although chasing simple parts which are discontinued (like the release bearing), and only really having one option for performance parts, creates obstacles which are extremely frustrating.

I take it one day at a time with this crap.

haha yeah its a sickness we have , no sane person would get so excited to throw away all their money on a 30yo volvo /Daf bastard child , i love the little nuggets though and i still get excited to jump in and drive the thing everyday

ive replaced a lot i think i just took a bit more of a dodgy approach then you, ive read thru your thread a couple times and get blown away at how much you've done and how well its done then i look at mine and im like oh yeah thats cabled tied on,beat that thing to make it work, couple tech screws in that thing seems to hold it hmmm thats abit off maybe it needs more cable ties hahaha

getting parts has been the biggest hurdle and will be forever unfortunately i suppose we are lucky theres any performance stuff available at all otherwise everything would be a custom job and prices would be even crazier .
    Dai actually got some NOS release bearings in i grabbed one in my order the other week cause i knew i would never be able to get one again think he only got like 20 though looks like theres still 17 left ... if i had the money i would've just bought them all haha

ALVO360Vee_Que
  • @pigdog - no way! I'm gonna get me one too.
    I just checked them out...they're only $60!

Hmmm. I think im going to get:
    New ttv flywheel and clutch combo
    Release bearing
    Torsens LSD
    And hopefully my diff gasket and boot lock seals will arrive this time around.
    Dai wanted to know if the box looked like it had been opened and re-taped? He thinks maybe customs took it out. It's one of those bright yellow A4 envelopes. It wouldve been the most obvious thing in the box if it was there.
  • I've just realised that the dished flywheel on the b19e engine from my 360 doesnt have any drill holes...meaning it could easily be drilled to the 60-2 pattern. Sweet.

fg4ve8m3zv85.jpg
    bgpzfm142
  • At the end of the day, the car is what you make of it. For some sick reason I have an obsession these 360's. In all honesty, there are countless other cars which would be better to sink you $$ into, but for me, I like 'em and its worth it.

Your car is really something very special, and you're building it in the way you want it. The 360s are more than just toasters or other appliances to you (I get that - I have same view with my little fleet). Just as long as you're building the car for keeps, because you won't get your money back on it. I have put some crazy dollars into my 142 already, and I know I'd never get it back if I tried to sell it.... but selling it isn't going to happen; I love 140s and I'm keeping mine, for life.
    ALVO360Vee_Que
  • @bgpzfm142 - What's interesting is that I've owned over 120 cars in my short lifetime And the 360 is the only car I want to keep forever. I'm actually not very mechanically savvy, I just learn as I go and hope that I do the right things. I have no idea how many $$ I've pumped into the 360 to date, but as you said, it's for keeps and won't ever be for sale...however, if someone offered me $50,000 I'd likely says yes and just build two more haha.
    bgpzfm142carnut222