240 Overfilled Radiator reservoir

edited November 13 in Troubleshooting 56 / 15joined Dec 2014
So I'm cleaning my Volvo 240 and I notice that the radiator reservoir container is caked with coolant at the top.

H1yLtGih.jpg

My mechanic workers must have overfilled it in one of the previous service. Its pass the max level. I also notice the mech who filled the coolant spilled it onto the container as well. As I am trying to clean the dried residue up I notice a small hole in the middle of the plastic container where the brace is. See photo. It looks like a holding point.

The surrounding area is caked with dried residue coolant. I clean it up using a damp sponge but as I do so, a metallic Volvo sticker flicks out and I catch some water+ probably a bit of old coolant in my eye.

I do find that the hole or indent is full of coolant. And I flush it out with water until its clean. I hope I'm doing the right thing. (FYI I did tighten the black cap and did not open it the entire time)

Comments

• Ex850RSnoopy (@Ex850R) Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Melbourne.
    9479 / 172joined Jul 2013
    Is car cold?
    If overfilled it will blow some out the vent/pressure relief valve.
    Take it back to them.
    Or ask again here about getting level correct if you need the help.

Wash your eyes out with water if you haven't done so and seek hospital attention if you get inflammation or itching etc.

You are doing the right thing cleaning up, flushing it with lots of water helps.
    Spac -
    "High speed rail, Melbourne to Brisvegas!
    I retain a deep suspicion, but maybe these shitcunts will actually manage to do something not entirely shit?"
  • 56 / 15joined Dec 2014
    Yes car was cold.

I was trying to do the right thing by trying to clean it off with a wet soapy sponge and paper towels instead of rinsing it out with water.

But that damn volvo sticker flicked out and I got some of the crap in my eye. I didn't think much of it at the time, but after 5 - 10 minutes, I thought I should get it washed out properly. And so I did. Washed it under the shower for a few minutes My eye was a little bit red. And I got a bit paranoid. Washed it out again. Seems ok now except in my imagination.

Back to the subject, a fair amount of coolant seemed trapped in that hole/indent (under the metal brace) in the coolant container. I had to resort to using several buckets of soapy water to flush it all out. Then I used my garden hose and washed the whole damn thing.
  • Ex850RSnoopy (@Ex850R) Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Melbourne.
    9479 / 172joined Jul 2013
    Clean under bonnet now!
    That little indent is annoying.
  • JakeNZJJakeNZ (@JakeNZ) South Auckland, NZ
    5 / joined May 2017
    It should be fine if you get a hose and thumb over the end and squirt around the edges of the engine bay, I think the proper thing to do when washing inside there is to leave it running and let it run for a few min afterwards to dry it off.

Whats the problem with spilt coolant?
  • 56 / 15joined Dec 2014
    I don't know much about car maintenance but I do know that radiator coolant is especially poisonous, and corrosive, similar to paint thinner.
  • Vee_QueVee_Que (@Vee_Que) South Eastern suburbs Melbourne.
    7336 / 36joined Jul 2013
    No, it's no where near that bad.