940 Limited slip diff identification

Wanting to know for sure if my wagon has LSD, tag on diff housing see photo says if has LSD. Jacking up the rear end both wheels off the ground and turning one wheel and the other might move slightly or not at all. AnyJ2q2VDgh.jpg
suggestions

Comments

• How do you know 1031 on tag says it is
  • How do you know 1031 on tag says it is

1031 says that its not, also the LSD was never an option or a std feature on a 8v 940
    1041 == LSD on 940's
    Vee_Que
  • Vee_QueVee_Que @Vee_Que South Eastern suburbs Melbourne.
    Also 4.10 was standard with the Aw71/0l auto.
    nugget_940
  • G'day, I don't want to hi-jack the thread but it is titled "limited slip diff ID" .

My '93 240 wagon has this label on the axle tube.

After reading the previous comments I followed the link .

I'm confident that I have a locking diff. I'm hoping someone can confirm this for me and maybe start a discussion on ,if my car does have a locking diff Is it rare? Why does it have the diff? etc.

My diff link:-

www.volvopartswebstore.com/products/Volvo/1993/240/Rear-axle/1201020/1216417.html

I've done some reading ( internet research ) and as far as I can tell Aussie 240's shouldn't have locking diffs.

Would it be possible to fit ABS to my car?

My '93 wagon has 230fx motor,AW71 trans and 1031 diff.

It also has driver's airbag.

I've looked up the chassis number and it's one of the last 15,000 made. Imported from Gothemburg.

I had planned to do some modifications to the car but now, more and more I'm thinking I may have something quite rare ,to Australia at least, and should not mess with it.

Opinions?

My car as it will appear in "Peter Rabbitt2" release date February.

• edited January 7

p/n 1216417-4 is a 3.73:1, non-LSD rear axle.

See 240 1988+ parts manual, Group 46, pages 633 and 649.

It won't have an LSD unless one was fitted after the car left the factory.

ETA - p/n 1216416 was the LSD version.

• SpacSpac @Spac Canberra-ish.

As a general statement:

LSDs were never standard fitment to ADM RWD Volvos. They were an option, but one that was very, very, very rarely ever selected.

The vast majority of the small handful that were optioned, were in 140s destined for motorsport use from new. They got even less common from there, as Volvo’s market (and marketing) moved more and more toward safety.

In nearly twent five years of messing around with these things, I have never heard of anyone stumbling across an LSD in their car.

Cars like Rabbitt’s COULD be the exception, as funny things happen at the end of a model life cycle (like the Ohlins shocks in late C70s), but my money is still on it having an open diff.

• Oh bother, I must be misinterpreting this page from parts store.

Rear axle -1991 1992- Differential lock. 1985 1986-

Full Diagram

#1Required:

MARKED 3.73-1216417

What does the "differential lock" refer to.

Wishful thinking on my part....LOL

• SpacSpac @Spac Canberra-ish.

Jack it up and see. In gear/park with both rear wheels off the ground and handbrake off, try to spin a rear wheel.

Open diff = wheels spin in opposite directions.

If you can’t spin the wheel, then pop it into neutral and try again. If both wheels rotate in the same direction, then that’s a good sign of an LSD.

• 1041 is the volvo number for ALD (automatic locking differential) This is not another term for LSD

See here for the detail

People think their G80 1041 axle in their 940 is an LSD, it's not

Once the centre rpm reaches 100 (roughly 40km/h) the centrifugal force opens the weight, thereby unlocking the centre. In Sweden where it snows, many 940's have the 1041. It locks when it senses a difference in rpm between the axles, so it only locks when you encounter wheelspin. Once you go beyond 40 km/h, it unlocks. People have had success removing most of the weight which is used to unlock the centre so it acts more like a full time locker, but only when there is a wheel speed difference between left and right. The 1041 acts like an open axle until it loses traction on one side