The forums were recently upgraded, and this may alter behavior or break things. If you notice problems, check and report them in this thread

240 crossmember bolts won't line up (M46)

This afternoon I went to replace the gearbox mount on my M46 (240) but found that the replacement I had, didn't fit properly. Went to put the old one back in, but for some reason the crossmember won't line up: if I put one bolt in, then the other side sits at least 20mm away from its respective hole. (Sorry if that needs explaining better.)
Picture attached to show how far it needs to move.

I have no idea how this has happened, and even less on what to do about it - any suggestions? (I do need to resolve this quickly so I can drive my car!)

Thanks.

jX6FiSCh.jpg

Comments

• Where would you ratchet strap to/from?

Poor quality pics of mount (not done up properly obviosuly)

wPUBliAh.jpg
    l3opubyh.jpg
  • jamesincJames (@jamesinc) Oz Volvo Ice Fortress
    Yeah I think Mike's right. Get one bolt in on one side, then put a strap between the trans crossmember and the front crossmember and gently bring it into position. It'll just be the rubber components (engine mounts, trans mount) needing to bed down again, I suspect.
  • put one bolt in on one side about 80% in
    strap around other side and hook to sway bar and ratchet and it should come in
    Tighten down the trans mount most of the way as well
    you may also need to jack under trans a little to gett it to move up some as the mount is so bad
  • Thanks, I'll give that a shot in the morning.

Are gearbox mounts always like this to replace?
  • 240 (@240) wrote: »
    Thanks, I'll give that a shot in the morning.

Are gearbox mounts always like this to replace?

With a lift and a few tools I have made over the years... takes longer to get the car on the lift and lift up than replace the mount....
  • OK, I've been trying to get this to work today.
    Because the old mount is so stuffed I've been trying to get the new one to work.
    It's a 164 mount (this) which the internet says is meant to bolt up fine.
    I can get it to fit OK if I jack the gearbox up a fair way. I had the same problem as before with the holes not lining up, but the ratchet strap almost did the trick - it allowed me to get one bolt in on each side, but not both.

It almost seems like my drivetrain isn't aligned properly.
    The distance between the crossmember and the bracket on the gearbox is 30mm,and that is with the box jacked up - but the new mount is 40mm thick (and even the old one is 35mm thick, presumably it was 40 when new). This makes no sense at all.
    Additionally, the threaded shaft coming out of the mount doesn't actually line up with the hole on the crossmember, meaning when I put it in the hole, it stuffs up the alignment of the crossmember:

BmtFU4yh.jpg
  • Motor mounts broken or in good condition?
  • driver's side engine mount done 30k ago, I did the passenger side yesterday.

---

update: I managed to get all 4 crossmember bolts in but it still doesn't line up properly as the crossmember now physically sits on the exhaust. (Presumably the gearbox mount is pushing down on it.) And, this is with the gearbox jacked up too.
    I think I'll just have to put the old one back in for now as I need to drive the car.
  • jamesincJames (@jamesinc) Oz Volvo Ice Fortress
    edited December 2016
    So if I am visualising this correctly, what's happened is that it's all bolted up, but now the exhaust is touching the underside of the crossmember? You might just need to adjust the position of the exhaust. It should be located by a bracket on the driver's side of the bellhousing.
  • That's a 164 engine mount, I'm not certain but I think it's a bit thicker than a 240 gearbox mount. It's also a bigger diameter and probably can't flex as much as the smaller 240 gearbox mount.
  • That's a 164 engine mount, I'm not certain but I think it's a bit thicker than a 240 gearbox mount. It's also a bigger diameter and probably can't flex as much as the smaller 240 gearbox mount.
    This
  • @jamesinc yes, but that's only because the new mount is physically bending the crossmember down - with the old mount, it clears the exhaust fine.

@Angus242164 I've read on a number of forums that the 164 mount is meant to bolt straight in, and apparently it's recommended as it's stronger than the normal M46 mount. But I suppose it's probably worth just trying the standard one.
  • 240JoeJoe (@240Joe) Geelong, Victoria
    I don't think I've heard of issues with standard transmission mounts before. I have with engine mounts but it still isn't a huge issue
  • volvodrivermanvolvodriverman (@volvodriverman) Barringwood Estate, Tasmania
    I've used 164 engine mounts under m46's & it's taken a little more effort to get back together due to the marginally thicker & firmer rubber but not caused the sort of issues you're having. Perhaps the exhaust had been "clearanced" with soggy mounts & now that it's all where it should be it needs a bit of adjustment.
  • volvodrivermanvolvodriverman (@volvodriverman) Barringwood Estate, Tasmania
    Oh & maybe try the mount the other way around with the big hexagonal steel plate at the gearbox side not the crossmember?