This is your final countdown - National Meet 2017 in just a few days! Register today.

Where to buy a DICE/VIDA unit

edited October 2016 in Articles & Guides 8989 / 77joined Jul 2013
Ex850R
I think you need to add i was in an s80 with three wheels getting pulled backwards and was told to "hold on shit is about to get real".

Comments

• kyrilkkyril (@kyril) Bendigo Victoria
    131 / 13joined Mar 2016
    Just looking at this Bear, it says the computer must be running windows 7 Pro. Does it work with later versions or does it have to be windows 7?
  • 8989 / 77joined Jul 2013
    Works with windows 8
    Im unaware of anything that runs 8 and wont run 7 other than crap consumer stuff
    Dependency is on the .net version mainly

Ebay
    Dell 6410/20/30 is your best bet as near all of them have a win7 coe at the base of the laptop
    Needs 4gb ram and a 120gb ssd
    Buy one on ebay for $200 shipped
    Buy a kingston uv400 120gb ssd for $70 shipped

Total setup should be no more than $400aud
    131 / 13joined Mar 2016
    Thanks, Bear. I think I lost track of what Windows were released when... I've got an older Dell XPS15 that runs windows 7. I upspecced it at the time I bought it to 6gb ram and 750 gb HD and the dedicated graphics card so it shouldn't have too many dramas running it. It still runs pretty well considering it's age. I keep it fairly trim! :)

Never used an SSD, I'm guessing that with their faster read times it just allows the program to run more smoothly? I might have to look into it.

I'll be getting some photos of my new ride up just as soon as I'm able to give her a nice bath and polish. I'm still wondering what I'll do about the couple of spots on the bonnet where the clear coat has gone....the rest of the paintwork is spotless!
  • Ex850RSnoopy (@Ex850R) Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Melbourne.
    9249 / 169joined Jul 2013
    Vinyl wrap it.
    Or just wax it a lot.
    Spac -
    "High speed rail, Melbourne to Brisvegas!
    I retain a deep suspicion, but maybe these shitcunts will actually manage to do something not entirely shit?"
  • 276 / 22joined Jan 2016
    For simplest install there are some virtual machine vida installs getting around. Google is a good start. I use at vm on an old laptop that doesnt meet current specs but is a clean install of windows 7 home but free of bloat. The vm works fine. Also use it on a surface pro with latestwindows 10.

Laptop etc live in the car.
    131 / 13joined Mar 2016
    My Vida dice combo arrived today but it seems i might need some help installing Vida. Thought the specs would be ok but it looks like the os must be win 7 Pro. No home versions. And it must be explorer 9.

A quick look on the web indicates that it can be tricky to install but I was hoping a local could come to my aid!!
  • 276 / 22joined Jan 2016
    Google vida vm swedespeed
    My Vida dice combo arrived today but it seems i might need some help installing Vida. Thought the specs would be ok but it looks like the os must be win 7 Pro. No home versions. And it must be explorer 9.

A quick look on the web indicates that it can be tricky to install but I was hoping a local could come to my aid!!

If In sydney, I can do the install for a 6 pack of crown lager
    131 / 13joined Mar 2016
    That would be awesome Bear but alas I'm in Melb.

Paul I'm guessing I'll install a program like Vm ware player then install Windows 7 pro on that VM along with IE9?
  • egadsegads (@egads) Yass NSW
    5491 / 166joined Jul 2013
    I think it is a pre installed ready to rock VM. The first link when you google vida vm swedespeed
    131 / 13joined Mar 2016
    I'll give it a shot. I wasn't certain that once installed if this version would be able to interface with the dice unit or if it's just a stand alone vida for referencing parts etc only
    131 / 13joined Mar 2016
    Well that's no good the files in the links are no longer available..
    131 / 13joined Mar 2016
  • egadsegads (@egads) Yass NSW
    5491 / 166joined Jul 2013
    Google 2014d virtualbox image
  • edited November 2016 276 / 22joined Jan 2016
    As above.

There are a few floating around even older versions running xp that have low spec requirerments.
    131 / 13joined Mar 2016
    Thanks egads. I'll give it a try.
    That would be awesome Bear but alas I'm in Melb.

Paul I'm guessing I'll install a program like Vm ware player then install Windows 7 pro on that VM along with IE9?

i'm in melb from friday night through 2pm sunday
    131 / 13joined Mar 2016
    Thanks for the offer Bear, I guess I should have been more specific, actually in Bendigo about 1.5 hours up the Calder freeway. You do get around though don't you!! :)

Not much room to move on the weekend either as the other half is on NS. But maybe I'll take the girls on a road trip saturday arvo.......
  • Ex850RSnoopy (@Ex850R) Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Melbourne.
    9249 / 169joined Jul 2013
    Can it be set up on a HDD external?
    131 / 13joined Mar 2016
    Not sure. I'll see how the VM goes. (I have to wait for the download to finish as it has data limits throught the hosting website) If I have no luck I think I'll go down the cheap dedicated laptop option.