Stu's '$350 special' - 1986 740GL

Picked her up the other night for an awesome $350. Current plans for it is to clean it up a little and use it as a daily driver.
B230F with 289,000kms with a 4 speed auto behind it(unsure of type yet) it even has cold a/c! All electric windows work, mirrors, central locking etc. It came with 2 alloys on the back and 2 stockies on the front, however he did throw in both sets.

So here's why it was $350, trans wont shift up or down gears until she warms up(about 5 minutes idling) then shifts up and down fine. Ive checked trans fluid and it doesnt smell funky and isnt burnt. Also the torque converter is making a squealing sound like its blocked up or something. Not sure whether to change the filter in the trans or just get another box and torque converter.

Anyway here she is:
20150108_190412noplates_zps02dfbe77.jpg
20150108_190418noplates_zps4f107e5b.jpg
20150108_190403noplates_zps029d30e6.jpg
20150107_225517_zps0be824de.jpg
20150108_184401noplates_zpsb1559569.jpg

Comments

• RobRob (@Rob) - Lockyer Valley, SE Qld
    Bargain
  • Vee_QueVee_Que (@Vee_Que) South Eastern suburbs Melbourne.
    Change the filter. But the box is ready to die.
  • Change the filter. But the box is ready to die.

Cheers @Vee_Que‌ am i better off getting the trans rebuilt or hunting around for another box with low kms? I've read most AW70's are good for high mileage?
  • It appears to have a boost gauge
  • Good spotting @volvodriverman‌, it was fitted with a GLE dash a few years back when the original odometer packed it in (reads 20,000km more than actual mileage)
    Rebuilt will be over $1200. No point for a cheap non turbo car. If you can get a aw72L from a 740 16v. It will go for as long as you plan to own the car.
  • AW72L would be nice, i guess they're quite rare though - ive only seen 2 740 16V for sale in SA in the last couple years. Might have to have a look at upullit and start checking trans stocks
  • Nice buy. As for the gearbox, you see the occasional one on eBay for a few hundred with reasonable k's.

When the AW70 went in my 86 240 probably 15 years ago now, a reco box was $900 fitted. But I'd imagine there'd be plenty sitting in wreckers waiting to go. The AW70 and 71 boxes were used in Toyota Camry's as well, but I am not sure what you'd need to do to make one of those ones fit a Volvo.
  • Yeah im also after one for my 244GL - currently has a BW35 so shes only good for around town.

Thats interesting re the Camry's as they're front wheel drives, i have a couple SV21's myself(my old pizza delivery car) would probably need a different bellhousing/flex plate though
  • Turns out Wikipedia provides some info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvo_AW70_series_transmissions - I do know from ordering a new seal and filter kit this week that I ended up with a kit that fits both Volvo and Toyota gearboxes and was listed with Toyota part number. Same goes for the oil filter.
    The box isn't the same as the camr bring fwd. The volvo specific boxes are common enough that you don't need to pay more than $100 for a usee auto from a running car. People who want more now are dreaming or a wrecker. But most won't be low kms either.

The hilux and cressida and pajaro use the same basic auto Yes.
  • Finally got around to checking out the box - its a ZF22(pronounced dead when revved too much past idle in park as the oil pump inside is not running when in park) Also gave it a 10L fluid flush by disconnecting the trans line from top of radiator and fitting with a 3/8" plastic clear tube to drain approx 1L at a time.

Still no luck, very noisy in reverse and doing its old tricks with sticking in 1st until it warms up then changes into all other gears fine + taking off from first again into all other gears.

So, anyone have a good ZF22 trans + torque converter for sale?
    They are hard to get. But a reletive to them is in v8 range rovers etc which are stronger.
  • Its official, the ZF22 has died!
  • Still looking for a ZF22 for this one, please let me know if you have one for sale or know someone who does. Cheers

• You'd have a better chance finding an AW71 and slipping that in

bgpzfm142
  • Would a Falcon ZF 6 speed auto fit the bell housing?