Reminder: videos and articles you find on the web all belong in the off-topic section, even if they are about Volvos.

New project car 244GL-meatball1

New to me 1982 244GL in red just purchased yesterday and will be driving it back to Sydney from Melbourne in a few weeks. I've had an affinity for the 240 for ages and never been in a place to buy one, until now. The one I bought is in pretty good order, straight and rust free. 292k B230 with the 3 speed auto. Aircon but no power steering and a broken blower motor it would appear. Bought it as a project, the wife gave me a brief of leave it dead stock or make it stupidly fast... Which really only gave me one option... Stupidly fast it is.

Plans so far are literally plans on a page and subject to change, car will be registered and engineered and weekend driven, with some drag duties and some circut fun.

The plan so far is-

16v turbo b230 , not sure if I'll go manual or auto yet, checking to see what options work and are available to suit the power id like.

Haltech engine management for flexibility to be able to run drive by wire and traction control etc.

Suspension I'm leaning toward BC racing coilovers br-ra series.

Brakes will be Brembo calipers and rotors, I see yoshifab has a bunch of options. Braided lines for certain. Unsure if master cylinder will need changing but that's an option I'll cross when it happens.

Differential will need upgrading but not sure what I'll go with had a truetrak in my old daily and it was flawless so that's an option with some upgraded axles in the factory Volvo housing.

Interior will be Alfa 156 seats for the front and most likely retrimmed rear seats to match. Not sure about anything else just yet. I'm sure I'll get opinions that will change the plan, but that's why I'm on the forum. I've got good mechanical skills and knowledge, not too bad at wiring and electronics. More to come when I drive it home. Sorry for average photos but my old man only took one and the rest are from the sale ad.

Ghettobird

Comments

• Ex850RSnoopy @Ex850R Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Melbourne.

Ahh you got the 244 Mark swapped with another 240 for a better 240 off of that charlatan.\

It was valued at $2600 by Mark with its real mileage and complete service history.

Im afteer oxblood ALFA seat as well , its not limited to the 156 , can be other models too..

• Hahah tony was the fella I bought this off. I got the full service history with it . What gives him the charlatan title?

• Turbo 16v be prepared to spend big $

Keep in mind if you go manual youll have to rig up a solution to fit the clutch master cylinder as well.

Nice car though!

waleus
  • Yeah I'm under no illusions it's going to be a cheap project, I had toyed with the 8v option but if I can get my hands on the 16v head it'll be what I use. Buy once cry once

• Definitely DEFINITELY keep the 8 valve head (but do have it ported)

Or you'll be sorry (financially and mentally)

• What's the hesitation with 16v vs 8v I do understand there is work putting the 16v on it but is it really that much of a drawback financial and mental ? As I mentioned before more than willing to listen to advice, happily learn from someone else's mistakes

• I've not done the 16 valve conversion into a 240 myself, and I don't believe I ever would - I can make more than enough power with 8 valves, if I study enough into how these redblocks make power, and speaking to others that have made the type of power you're thinking of, without 16 valves.

If it was a 740 or 940, different story as those cars had an option that allowed them to be ordered with 16 valve engines so the heads go straight in on those models.

Have you researched what it takes to adapt a B234 head into a 240? It's a lot of work, and I don't think the ROI will be worth it.

That's my two cents

waleus
  • edited November 6

More than happy to stay with 8v , my goal is 600-700hp being honest hence thinking 16v was a better option.If I can get there with 8v happy to not spend the money on 16v. I've read a bunch of about what's required to get the 16v into the 240 so have a fair idea of what's required, but obviously not done one yet. Really appreciate your 2c, happy to learn.

edited November 6

Iirc Mark spent about $7K building a complete 16V conversion with a pair of dual sidedraft Weber's as well. That done by Volvo engine builder with all new internals.

You run out of room if you want turbo as well having issues with master cylinder and booster and such.

He is building another for one of his projects in near future.

Give him a call at Berry Motor Group as he will have all the parts you need, have a chat about it.

*The motor sounded EPIC I must say though!

waleus
  • Thanks for the info that's a lot of coin for a carburettor conversion. Yep the space issue is definitely not an easy thing to work with. I'll drop mark a line and find out what he knows, someone somewhere has either done it or tried it and has a story to share.

It's the fact you need to do so much to swap the engine around, new pistons etc etc etc, that's why it mentioned previously that it's not cheap.

Dual Weber's sound epic though......

waleus
  • Hahah tony was the fella I bought this off. I got the full service history with it . What gives him the charlatan title?

Wound back the speedo, advertised it as having half the mileage it really had, then lied about it.

What's the hesitation with 16v vs 8v I do understand there is work putting the 16v on it but is it really that much of a drawback financial and mental ?

With the B230 engine block installed at its usual 15 degrees slant, the 16V head fouls the factory location where the clutch master cylinder attaches to the firewall. You will need to devise an alternative clutch actuation method.

16V head has its ignition distributor mounted on the rear of the head; there's insufficient clearance between it and the firewall. You will need either a block mounted distributor, or a way of doing ignition timing via your [aftermarket] engine management system.

Exhaust manifolding - You will need to devise your own 16V turbo manifold. Factory 16V turbo manifolds are rare and won't fit a 240. 8V +t manifold to 16V head adapters are available but they're not optimal. The crap on Ebay is.... well, crap, and you'll need to re-weld / fix it until it fits properly. Custom manifold can be big $$$.

...and that's only the big stuff. There's a lot more little stuff.

It's only worth doing this conversion if you plan to keep the car for a long time - you will not make money on it.

That said, 8V with a lot of big $$$ work flows about the same as a 16V with no work at all.

...... my goal is 600-700hp ....

That output isn't realistically achievable in a B230 powered daily driven road car with any degree of reliability,16V or otherwise.

You may need to revise your expectations.

Chrisnugget_940VolvoHordz
  • AshDVSAsh @AshDVS - Geelong, VIC

There's certainly been some questionable tales around this specific car. Despite all that, it still looks like a nice starting point.

With a 240, as long as the body is decent, the rest doesnt matter too much I guess.

As @bgpzfm142 mentions above, there's a bit in getting a 16V head on an 8V B230 bottom end. All achievable, but there's a bit in it. You'll also need to consider the timing belt tensioner requirement. You can address the distributor issue via a short bodied housing (ie. having it machined) and a Saab cap (if you're using a distributor.

Regardless of how far you go with it, while a stock 16V head will out flow even a fairly developed 8V head, you're not coming near 600-700hp.

@jared244 has done 16V 240 conversions so could be someone to reach out to in order to provide actual experience and may wish to chime in here too.

In terms of suspension, regardless of your intended application, you're likely to not be particularly happy with the rear spring rates supplied in the BC kit. Damping is 'ok' but not brilliant. Happy to provide advice into this if you would like it.

Regarding brakes, there's a few options now for the front of 240s - a couple of different Brembo arrangements that are easily enough available, including the Brembo P2 S60R 330mm brakes and also GM-branded Brembo four piston calipers upfront.

The BA-BF Falcon sliding front caliper is actually a good upgrade here (despite being a two piston sliding caliper replacing a four piston caliper) - pad size is larger, rotor is larger, bleeding is easier and there's heaps of them available, and... they're cheap.

Beyond that, there's the series IV RX7 caliper upgrade too that uses 740T rotors. The issue here is that series IV RX7 calipers are becoming sought after.

Regardless of the history, backstory and even the drama that a few of us are across to varying extents, a nice looking 240 is still a nice looking 240. Best of luck with the project and this forum will be of great use to you in getting it done.

bgpzfm142Ex850Rwaleus

Hej Ash, do you manufacture the Falcon brackets?

Les

Nope. Matt did a great job of these, I just dont feel that it is appropriate for us to offer something when we can just point people to Matt and he can maybe make some money for his effort. He's also a good bloke.

waleus

I can shoot you his contact details when I get back in.

Ex850R
  • Thanks @AshDVS really appreciate the information you're sharing here and thanks for the resources. I'll ask jared244 about the 16v conversion, experience is worth alot. the project is only getting off the ground so the more information I can get the better choices I can make.