Reminder: videos and articles you find on the web all belong in the off-topic section, even if they are about Volvos.

Buttcheek supreme

I’m not really doing much with this car, just created a space to post my pictures and musings without clogging the Bruce thread.

It’s an ‘85 240GLE and it has supreme buttcheeks.

Comments

• jamesincJames @jamesinc Oz Volvo Ice Fortress

Chop them off and weld in flat patch like a 242GT?

• edited August 3

Something like that, I recently did the floors of my Z3 and this has way more space to move around. I’ll probably just deconstruct what’s there and get my mate who is a metal magician to make some bits to weld in, then I’ll slosh around black bed liner and she’ll be apples. Maybe.

Which thickness metal did you go with for yours? Not that it’s hard to measure nor all that important if I go thicker or thinner as this isn’t a restoration, but just out of curiosity

• edited August 3

emptied the fuel tank, the contents looks more like ATF than petrol. I might buy some rust remover and slosh it around and see what happens, maybe..

Pulled one of the front wheels off. Clearly someone has been into the wheel bearing and replaced or regreased or done… something.

Also, the oil is brand new, filter is brand new, hub has been wire wheeled…

The work looks…. Look, I’ve dealt with cars that people have “tried” to resurrect and there’s tool marks everywhere, fasteners are galled etc, this all looks professional. Even the filter is a proper Z89 rather than a Z9.

A professional has done this.

I wonder if Mr Harmer knows anything about it, the car came from around the vicinity of where his shop was.

I’m wondering if the brake lines and main fuel pump are missing because they were brand new, never paid for and hence made their way onto other cars?

Even the wheel bolts were fastened to the correct torque, not just ugga-dugga’d.

• Tim told me to check the intank pump, so I did.

If it wasn’t dead before, now that I’ve pulled it apart it sure is!

Cleaned up the intank mount. Wish I could undo the mount and wiring but they’re stuck. Oh well still have continuity in the wiring so that’s ok.

A little flapper bit fell off in the ultrasonic cleaner so I zapped it back on. Even hit it with solvent resistant paint. Good, still have no pump though.

Fickled
  • jamesincJames @jamesinc Oz Volvo Ice Fortress

You can get generic in-tank pumps off the shelf at supercheap, there's nothing particularly special about them just bring your old pump and match by size

• Ex850RSnoopy @Ex850R Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Melbourne.

Title of thread suggests a new burger at Maccas.

nugget_940
  • Rump is too expensive a cut of meat for maccas and you should know this....

@Wino

My brake lathe and bead blast cabinet are open for your use if you want to clean stuff up a bit more

• edited August 4

Awesome if it ever gets to that point

Just want it moving and stopping so I can get it into the shed for welding

Would be good to see if the rear end and front hubs would adapt easily to the ute actually

• Holy moly, there must be 2cm of rust under there

Went fishing with a battery clamp post

Found the fuel level float.

i assume I have to weld this back together, I can’t see how else it works

Fickled

Buy a whole new in tank or do external with a decent pickup from later model.

• edited August 4

Oh ye Les of little faith

Gotta say, ultrasonic cleaning. F-ing brilliant.

Ex850RramrodFickled
  • Great work 👍

May I ask where you got your ultrasonic cleaner (and what size)?

Tony.

• If you type ultrasonic cleaner into Google, you get spammed with these ones

I bought the 10L version.

I WOULDN’T recommend it though. It’s cheap and the duty cycle sucks. Spend a bit more and get a better one that will last longer.

Fickled
  • That is helpful to know that they are a bit crap. 👍

And it's good to know size, because I'm sure the first carb I try to put in one will be juuuust too big...

T.