240 240 turbo choice /opinions

Hey guys I'm looking at a new turbo for the wagon build just wanted some opinions cause my knowledge is still limited.

I'll be running a top mount manifold with T3 flange

I'm going to have the manifold modified to use a external wastegate.

This turbo was recommended for what I'm looking for.

Opinions?

If going with this turbo what turbine housing the 0.63 or 0.82.

End goal will be around 400hp

Looking for Something abit more responsive over a massive lag monster.

Comments

• Ex850RSnoopy @Ex850R Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Melbourne.

I saw a P3 T6 turbo and Mani for sale somewhere, it's a good low down torque turbo on the 3 litre six and probably good for 260kw on that motor.

It gets you modern turbo tech but also probably not as cheap as other options of regular simpler turbo.

• Is this for a redblock?

I emailed Torgeir from Scimec Motor about this when buying a few parts off him. He recommended the GTX3071 over the 3076 to reduce unwanted compressor surge. He did say the new G Series turbos were better than the older GTX though.

I've got a Pulsar GTX3071 T3 .63 with an external gate on my B230FT. It also has a custom top mount manifold and a Link ECU. From the logs it seems to build boost around 2900rpm and is making 6psi at 3700rpm. The gate opens at 8psi and this made 200hp at the tyres on the dyno. We didn't go higher because I need to get the T5 gearbox and stronger short block in first. It feels really good to drive and I wouldn't get a smaller turbo than this. Hopefully I can finish the gearbox and engine swap done later this year and get it turned right up.

pigdog
  • pigdogdave @pigdog Wollongong NSW

Oh yep sorry I just assume everyone knows my wagon by now haha

It's going on a B230fk.

What other mods have you done, cam, head work etc etc?

The 3076 with 0.82 housing was recommended to me but I'll look at the 3071

• My current engine setup is absolutely stock skinny rod B230FT with an A cam.

Ahh OK, I have the stock 13mm rod block and 531 head with ipd cam

I will be building the motor though H rods a more aggressive cam and maybe big valves etc

• Yeah I'm doing the same thing with a stronger 93 block and 531 head. Rod, pistons, KL cam, springs, new intake manifold, maybe valves and a bit of port work but see what the engine builder reckons.

Yeah mines a 96 block with squirters.

Was just going to keep stock pistons.

What can are you looking at, I've got the ipd cam but was looking at KG2T or maybe something abit more aggressive.

I need advice what to do with the head I haven't really crossed that bridge yet, my lack of knowledge says go huge big valves etc etc but I just don't know so will be picking brains for that one haha

• The KG2T would be great but they seem to be out of stock everywhere. I have a KL Racing T2 from memory. I was trying to match the cam to the turbo. I hear good things about Enem V16 but there are probably loads of good 8v cams out there.

As for the head, have a look through the FB page I listed above. He starts making modified 531 heads for 400hp and over. After chatting to them about heads I decided to leave it and just do the basics for safety. Springs, cam, a light clean up and stock(ish) rpm limit. 300-350hp is fine with a bit of work but 400hp is really starting to push the stock head. I need to spend money elsewhere before I build a 400whp head.

Alex Issac is doing KG2T regrinds.

Yeah i might keep it simple for now and see how I go it's real easy to go overbored, paying for it is the hard part I don't even want to think about the money I've already spent and still have to spend

• jamesincJames @jamesinc Oz Volvo Ice Fortress

On the head you want to enlarge to 38/46mm, and ideally also deshroud the valves, and correct the exhaust port geometry so there is less of a sharp knee out of the head.

Then probably match the chamber volumes to one another and calculate your static CR

Garrett have an online tool to help size turbos

pigdog
  • saw 411bhp on a t3 back housing gt2860 - using a t3/t4 on current build. plenty of turbos will do 400, its whether they spool at 2500rpm or 6000rpm.....

pigdogGingerNinja

What was your setup if you don't mind me asking?

I've decided to go with the 3076 and 0.82 housing

I think ill grab a KG2T cam aswell.

• B230f, rods, head studs, k cam, running 2 deg iirc. Tubular t3 manifold, emerald ecu. 1000cc injectors, deatschwerks fuel pump in tank. Few other bits I don't remember. Made 411bhp on 19psi, this was back in 2010. Wasn't bad but boost came in at 5k so was crap on the street. New build I want the turbo into boost by 3k.

pigdog

Nice that's the goal haha

Did you still have the stock headgasket?

Seems to be mixed opinions about how much power they are good for.

General consensus on turbobrick's is the stock gasket and head bolts are good for quite abit

• Yeah stock elring gasket. No issues there, did studs for better clamping pressure .

pigdog