Rob's Supercharged '73 164

RobRob (@Rob) - Lockyer Valley, SE Qld
edited March 4 in RWD

Thought i would post a few pics of my '73 164E.

Engine: B30 volvo 3L I6 Supercharged

Exhaust: Twin 2"

Suspension: low. adjustable rear koni's and adjustable upper arms. modified panhard bar

Wheels: front narrowed stock 15 x 4.5 165/80r15 , rear widened stock 15 x 8 235/60r15, whitewalls

Modifications: Blower, wheels, seat retrim, whitewalls, couple of other bits and pieces ;)

Stereo: Sound 4, modifed for usb, aux in etc.

Comments

• RobRob (@Rob) - Lockyer Valley, SE Qld
    edited November 2017

A couple more interior photos

• TigabuTiga (@Tigabu) Sweet Home Norwoodama

Looks great, Rob. I do love the pattern for the retrim B-)

"Patriotism is the last refuge to which the scoundrel clings, steal a little and they trow you in jail, still a lot and they make you a king" ~ Robert Zimmerman
    1978 264 'The Lady Syrah' PRV 2.7 BW35
    1978 245 'Spike' B21 M46
    1980 242GT 'Skiten Lådbils' B230 M47
    [GONE TO SCRAPPY HEAVEN] 1988 240 Wagon 'The Goon' B230 M47
    [GONE TO TEENAGE DELIRIUM]1985 240 Wagon 'The Cowabunga Mobile' B230 M45

• Such a nice car @Rob, really tasteful restoration too.

supermattyp said: How much? You know you want to sell it.

>

Yeah, good luck with that, Matty :))

edited July 2013

Yeah, good luck with that.... I sold it once, it took me a couple of years to find it and buy it back. It's not going anywhere soon...

• Fine. ...just be that way!

• BenBen (@Ben) Peter Harvey... Canberra

Looks great, love the seat material! What's the blower and management?

Ben (The Guv) said: Looks great, love the seat material! What's the blower and management?

Thanks .. The seats are very much love it or hate it. I have had some very.... hmmm... interesting ....opinions on them, but i guess your gonna get that with a Volvo at the best of times ;)

It is a Toyota SC14 Supercharger, from a 2TZ-FZE, and is currently running a [very] old microtech D5, it is something i have been looking to update but it works well so i figure i might just leave it that way.

Nice, I have the same one on my 240. Do you have it always on or triggered by an event? How do you find the noise? I read a hint somewhere that using 2 throttles can quiet them down (mine is so loud it's not funny) so I'll be looking at that in the future. I'm assuming you're getting a boatload of torque with the 6? Great to have another SC around!

edited July 2013

They can be very loud.. at first i was so sorry i did it..... the noise was hideous.

I have run it in a couple of configurations, first up i had the throttle body before the supercharger.. It was ok but noisey, particularly at idle. I then put the throttle on the manifold so that i could run a bypass valve with the intention of keeping it a little quieter at idle. it worked.... partially, the supercharger whine was reduced but the bypass valve created a whole new noise... probably worse than the whine. Since then i have added a clutch to it and also a larger pulley to lower the boost, it makes a little less power but is nice and quiet. You can still clearly here the supercharger whine but it sounds good...

I recommend putting the clutch back on if you don't have one.. best thing i ever did. I have always maintained that if i was chasing all out power i would V8 or turbocharge it.... I like it because it is something different....... and it still goes well.

You should post some pics and info on your car.. would be keen to see it.

edited November 2017

Some pics of my first setup.

Yeah, I'm debating wether to take of the charger and turbo it but most of the hard work is done and there's something really satisfying in driving a supercharged car as opposed to a powerful n/a or turbo. I might get around to putting up a project page but I already have one on TB and I'm moving house soon so pretty low priority!

Ben said: putting up a project page

Do eet!!! :D/

Cut and paste is your friend. :)

Cut and snort is a better one ;)

• Reminds me of my wizz fizz snorting days. Fuck that hurt.

nugget_940
  • Also, @Rob and @Ben, both of your cars hooked me into RWD. Something magic about seeing a SC in a Volvo.

• A_Volvo_DriverScott (@A_Volvo_Driver) Victoria, The Revenue State

Beautiful car Rob! If I was to ever get married, that's the kinda car that I'd want for the day :)

1985 240 Wagon Henrik aka "Hank" - build thread in progress
    1984 240 GLE Sedan "The Moose"
    1992 240 GL Wagon "The TURD"
    1997 Fairlane by Tickford "The Tickford"

Tarneit? Where is that?
    edited November 2017
    Time for an update.

I went to reverse my car out of the carport and had some real trouble... 2 problems were causing this.

1. front brakes grabbing.
    2. reverse slipping.

1. Easy enough to fix and involved simply rekitting the front calipers, 2 cylinders on each caliper were near seized. I decided to overhaul the master cylinder and rear calipers at the same time. Don't think it was necessary but at least I know all is new now.

2. BW35 had to go. I dug around in my pile of parts and found almost everything required for a M400 conversion. The few parts i was missing were able to be tracked down with the help of a few ozvolvo members.

While everything was apart i decided to strip the engine down for a quick cleanup and check over, I knew the engine was in pretty good shape as it had done fewer than 10,000 miles since it was rebuilt but I wanted to change the camshaft, so figured a full set of rings and bearings would be a minor additional task.

I also replaced the ball joints, tie rod ends and centre bearing.

A couple of days later and it is all back together, runs a treat and i am very happy with the M400 conversion. I am really loving the new camshaft, couldn't be happier with the way it goes and the idle sounds excellent.

I now intend tracking down a suitable LSD and am considering changing wheels. but I'm not sure, I really don't want to loose the clean look it has with the stockish steelies.

Manual conversion thread http://ozvolvo.org/discussion/140/robs-164-manual-conversion-amongst-other-things/p1

muqe8XJh.jpg
    662TTjfh.jpg