240 Starter motor part 2

Ok, I found a starter motor buried in the container. Seems good: throws out and returns easily and the teeth aren’t chipped.

But how do I get the old one out? What are the tricks? On a 144 it’s a bit of a PITA, but I’m really struggling on the 244. I got the lower bolt off, fortunately it wasn’t too tight, but I just can’t get purchase on the upper one with standard spanners.

It’s got carbs but I really don’t want to take a carb off just to change a starter motor.

Help please!

Comments

• VolDanVolDan @VolDan Launceston,Tasmania

Just did this job today. Socket on an angle swivel extension, then another straight extension, from under the car.

Essbosjamesinc
  • Thanks, I’ll try that tomorrow. I didn’t think there looked enough room when I was there today.

• You need 3/8" sockets, universal joints and extentions

It's tight even with these

bgpzfm142jamesinc
  • volvodrivermanvolvodriverman @volvodriverman Redcliffe Queensland

Drop the trans crossmember & let the end of the trans down until the head's in the firewall. That bit of extra angle makes all the difference.

bgpzfm142
  • 3/8” socket (short) and a couple of long wobble bars did the trick. Tight but easier than I expected. Half an hour killed it.

Thanks for your help.

John

• I think the main difference between the B20 and B21 starter is the connector for sending 12V to the 9V coil when cranking. Good to hear you've wrangled it.

• There's no need to touch the transmission or lower it for this job if you have the right tools

jrhendo