240 Power Steering conversion - 1977 Volvo 240 B23E

rezJohn @rez Melbourne
edited December 2020 in General

Hi All,

I own a 1977 240 with a B23E motor conversion, it has a mounting spot for the power steering pump.

I was wondering what parts I need off a later 240 in order to get some nice power steering?

Cheers

Comments

• The power steering rack, pump, mounting bracket and lines

• @rez I have a power steering rack, pump, lines, bracket and reservoir already removed from about an 86 240...send me a PM if you're interested. We'd need to have a look at your existing bracket on the engine to confirm how it would mount as all the later 240s were set up with the PS pump up high above the AC compressor. If you don't have AC on your car it would require some custom bits I think.

rez
  • Hi All,

I'm very new to the Volvo world. My father-in-law just gave my son his 1977 244 DL.

I drove it home and definitely want to put on power steer. Sooo heavy.

I have the 2.1 litre in the car. What year can I go up to, to get the parts I need? Does the 2.1 have the mounting holes for the nessesary brackets to hold the pump on?

Cheers

Danno

• jamesincJames @jamesinc Oz Volvo Ice Fortress

You can most easily pull the entire power steering setup from any B21 or B23 240 that came with it. I always forget exactly which year they went to the B230 (1984?) you can probably make the B230 setup work without major headaches but I imagine you'd need to do a bit of extra work to the the pulley to align.

• The B23 went from 82 to mid 85, didn't it?

• Cheers all. I'll start looking at the local wreckers.

• SpacSpac @Spac Canberra-ish.

B230E was in the 1985 models.

I don’t know if the changeover from the B23 to B230 was a neat thing or a mid-year update. I believe that it was one of the things that defines a 1985 model.

jamesinc
  • DauntlessDauntless @Dauntless Central West NSW
    edited January 14

@danno244

Non assisted 240 steering is not overly heavy, and has much more feel than the power steering.

Before going to the trouble of converting to power steering, consider the following:

• Tyre pressure - set to at least 35psi
    • Ball joints - power steering type are offset for additional castor, ensure the correct parts are fitted
    • Steering rack - check to ensure the original rack has not been replaced with an easier to find power rack
    • Steering wheel - ensure the original size steering wheel is fitted
    • Wheel alignment - closer to zero toe generally results in less steering effort

If you're not used to cars without power steering, make sure the car is moving slowly when parking. Turning the wheel is much more difficult if the car is stationary, especially if the brakes are applied. Finally, just drive it and get a feel for it, you'll most likely get used to it pretty quickly.

• jamesincJames @jamesinc Oz Volvo Ice Fortress

To add to what @Dauntless said, wider tyres also increase the heaviness of the steering quite substantially. OE tyres were I think a 185 tread? But it's common these days to run a 195 or 205 tyre. I've found 195 is acceptable for the most part (reverse parking is still a pain) but 205 is very heavy.