140 Replacing the boot lid seal

edited August 2020 in General

I've put a new seal on the 144 boot lid. I remember reading some helpful hints to ensure the new seal seats properly, but I can't find it.

Any tips?

Tagged:

Comments

• edited August 2020

I’m not sure what I meant to head this, but it sure wasn’t “Reporting”. Autocorrect in action.

• Hendo,

Take a look at this thread, same principles apply I think.

Cheers,

R.

https://ozvolvo.org/discussion/comment/180422#Comment_180422

Ex850Rjamesinc
  • I just reread my question and I didn’t make it clear. I’ve got the new seal on ok, but I’m interested in how to get it to seal cleanly against the body when I close the boot lid. I’m sure I read something a while ago that involved sheets of paper, but I can’t find it.

Mark_Walton56
  • Thanks for clarification, on re-reading your initial query, I now realise that I was off the mark.

The paper trick seems like a good place to start. I'd also do the old water spray (use a hose) around the boot lid test, if you get water ingress, then providing that you have a 73/74 140, it may be possible to remove the tail lights and using a torch, shine a light inside the boot to watch for where the leaks are originating from, and chase accordingly. I have to do this on my 240, but i have been busy on a major COVID inspired garden infrastructure upgrade....

Good luck with it.

Mark_Walton56