C30 SRS Airbag Service Required + Radio volume surges

My 2012 C30 has the message "SRS Airbag Service Required" which comes up several times during driving. This usually occurs concurrently with the audio system surging in volume, which can be replicated by driving around tight bends and/bumpy roads. This leads me to believe it's just a wiring fault or similar, some sort of intermittent connection somewhere. The Volvo service centre want $220 just to run diagnostics so I have been looking into getting my own Vida/Dice and DIY it.

Any recommendations or people who think they could lend a helping hand in Sydney?

Cheers,

Kirk

Tagged:

Comments

• You're right. This is probably an electrical or battery issue. Bad batteries can cause all sorts of spurious faults. Start with the obvious, check the battery and alternator. If your battery is old, change it. Might have dropped a cell.

• Thanks for your quick response! Battery was replaced in January so should be fine, has no issues with starting. What kind of check would I be doing on the alternator?

• Just check that it's charging. I'd check the battery anyway they can suffer mechanical failure. Could be a simple as a loose terminal.

• carnut222Greg S @carnut222 Daylesford VIC

To me it sounds like something related to the steering wheel wiring and/or contacts. You have volume control on the steering wheel plus the airbag wiring is going through there. I wonder if the "clock spring" can have issues, or the thin ribbon cable that supplies the steering wheel airbag and radio volume controls...

c30c30
  • I thought something similar Greg, however the airbag light isn't on and all the functions of on the steering wheel have never had any issues before. I'm definitely not ruling anything out though...

carnut222

PS the "clock spring" module looks something like this...sounds like if that is the issue, you may have to get it installed somewhere that they can program the module to talk to the car (so an independent Volvo workshop or the Volvo dealer). Also looks like they're around $400USD...

Guess you could check the connectors in the steering column/wheel...if it's happening when you have the wheel turned a certain way, and it involves the SRS and radio volume, I think the clockspring is a logical place to look, but without hooking it up to somebody who has VIDA/DICE it's hard to say.

• What codes (if any) are you getting on Vida?

Do you have a sunroof?

• Haven't got Vida and no sunroof.