Best Tyres for a 240

Hello again, it’s me. The little bloke who’s getting a 240 for a learner car.

Since my last thread I have had the 240 checked out by a mechanic who gave it the all clear and I’ve test driven it. I was expecting it to be a tad bit boaty but I was surprised at its comfortable smoothness.

It’s pretty much certain that I will be getting the car, all that’s left to do is organise when I’m going to pay the bloke and have it signed over to me.

There is one thing though, tyres. The car needs tyres. Thankfully the seller has offered to fit it with some black steelies with better condition tyres on them for the time being but I love the white virgo rims currently on it so I’d like to get new tyres on them as soon as I can.

Tyres aren’t my strong point though which is why I’m reaching out to all of you for some advice on good performing affordable tyres for my future 240. I’d like some that hold their grip in the wet and don’t make too much noise in the dry. I’m open to as many suggestions as you can throw at me so go ahead.

The tyre size is 195/60R15

Comments

• edited January 29

Michelin are good all round, that's what I'd use

• Also, being a wagon, you need the 205/65/15 size if you want the odometer and trip meter and speed to read accurately

NoahJMc
  • Bridgestone re003 iirc come in the right size

Ex850RNoahJMc
  • DauntlessDauntless @Dauntless Central West NSW

195/65R15 BFGoodrich Advantage T/A are $109 each at Jax, that's what I'd recommend.

NoahJMc
  • Just remember that Virgo mags require the tyre to be taken off the inside of the rim so that you don't damage the rim. FWIW, I've had good runs with Kumho too.

Ex850RSpacNoahJMc
  • Ex850RSnoopy @Ex850R Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Melbourne.

I'll second RE003s, I've loved these tyres from 001,002 and the 003s are great. Not going to last as long as Kumho etc but you get GRIP!

Michelin great too. Pirelli have dropped their game in the lower end tyre....

SpacNoahJMcbgpzfm142
  • SpacSpac @Spac Canberra-ish.

If you want a performance road tyre, the RE003 is the default choice at the moment.

Its balance of price vs performance vs longevity is hard to beat.

NoahJMcVolvoHordzbgpzfm142
  • Thanks to the people that suggested 205/65R15 size tyres, I’ll definitely consider them.

• If you want your readings to be accurate, you should use that size

NoahJMc
  • Out of interest what is the differing part between sedans and wagons that causes this? I can only assume it's the speedo itself.

• Correct

Due to the extra load carrying capacity, wagons used 185R14 tyres which equate to 195-75-14 which equate to 205-65-15

• Interesting thanks.

I'm fairly sure standard sizes are 185/70R14 and 195/60R15 for sedans, 185/75R14 and 195/65R15 for wagons.

205/65R15 will fit fine though.

• You're right about the sedan, not wagon

Source?

• 240 wagon tyre placard inside fuel door, I don't have a picture at the moment

• Here we have a tyre and tyre placard on a 240 wagon.

Recommended tyre size: 185R14

Equates to 185-80-14; this size is no longer available so the equivalent is 195-75-14. OP says he has 15" wheels, hence the 15" equivalent that matches the original 14" tyre height = 205-65-15

As you can see I'm a numbers person, mathematics is my forté

NoahJMc
    edited January 30

What year was that from? I went looking for my owners manual but couldn't find it.

In any case, 205/65R15 is the size I've ran on my 240s and 740s in the past, however I'm hesitant to recommend it as most people think they're too big. Back then it was the cheapest size available as Commodores and Falcons used it. Now small cars like the Barina/Yaris run 195/65R15 so they're cheap too.

Spac
  • @Dauntless

Every year 240 wagon will have 185R14 tyre size on the placard

• carnut222Greg S @carnut222 Daylesford VIC

To confuse things even more, I just had a look at the owner’s handbook and tyre placard for my 93 240 wagon...Owner’s handbook shows wagon and sedan both having 185/70 R14, but wagon “winter tyres” 185 R 14. Owner’s handbook 1993:

Tyre placard 1993 wagon:

This is the tyre placard on the red 93 wagon I just bought...may not be original? Who knows why it’s different than the blue 93 wagon above (however the blue one had factory alloy wheels being a GLE so maybe that explains it?)

To confuse things even more ?? The speedometers are definitely different in 93 sedan vs 93 wagon...wagon says “24364” and sedan says “24964”...they all have same (auto) diff ratio so if those numbers are pulses per km, that makes sense if the wagons had a taller tyre than the sedans...who knows!! More confusing facts? :)