Fuel Pump Relay location - 1989 240 RHD Automatic Sedan B230F

Hi Team,

Thanks for all the great info to a new Volvo owners and lovers. I too am having issues with my Volvo not starting and locating the fuel pump relay.

Problems starting after a long day of driving approx 300km in the sun on a 35 degree celcius day (35 in the shade). After stopping for 4 hours to install and elctric fan on my AC radiator (all went well and according to plan) my Volvo wouldn't start!

Does anybody know where to locate the Fuel Pump Relay on my 1989 240GL Automatic Sedan B230F Right Hand Drive (Australia)

I have looked under the kick panel on driver and passenger footwells as well as the matting under the dash and removed the glove box and wasn't able to see the green or white relays that I have seen pictured in forums / YouTube.

1. I can confirm that relay is most likely the non-starting issue as I shorted the fuses to the two pumps and heard the whirring of one of them (not sure which one that is though), however it still did not start

2. My Volvo has:

a) Good spark through brand new leads and plugs

b) Fuel (although only about 15 litres in tank)

c) Compression (by hand, sound and sight test)

d) Fuel definitely getting into the injectors (but not sure if getting into bore)

e) Between 0.2 / 0.6 volts reading on two different multimeters at injector terminals

f) New fuse housing on side near coil (injector / fuel pump relay fuse)

Thanks again everyone for getting me this far it's been fun!

Dan

Comments

• Remove the felt trim under the left side of the dash if you havent already. Fuel pump relay will be hanging somewhere around where your left foot would be if your sitting in the passengers seat.

That said, if jumping the fuses didnt work to get the car to start, the rekay isnt the problem.

Low fuel could cause a no start issue if your intank pump isnt workng. Google it but there is a procedure to jumper fuses and power just it abd not the main pump. If you take the fuel cap off and listen you should be able to hear it running.

jamesinc
  • Thanks so much for your reply.

The relay definitely was a problem, just not the only one.

I believed the car had good spark however a mechanic has diagnosed that there was spark but it was intermittent, and the distributor needs replacing.

Again, your reply was very helpful in locating the fuel pump relay. Now just searching for a new distributor and should be back on the road soon.

Cheers!

• Bullshit the distributor does not need to be replaced

Find a new mechanic

• @ramrod is right these distributors are pretty much bulletproof

• edited January 1

Intermittent spark? Possibly caused by an intermittently functioning camshaft position sensor?

In my experience an intermittent no start that gets worse is often this issue.

Bosch one available from Sparesbox for around $50-60. Easy job if you don't have huge hands and arms. Reach down on top of the bellhousing with a 10mm stubby ratchet spanner and you'll have it swapped over in 20 minutes. Worth doing just as routine maintenance on a car that's playing up like yours without knowing if the sensor has ever been changed.

I agree with @ramrod that the distributor is not your most likely culprit.

• You mean crankshaft position sensor or RPM sensor

Yes that is certainly possible, check the wiring to it (there are three wires and if the insulation is bad which if it has never been changed it will be) the bare wires touch and create a short thus cutting spark. Even if this isn't your problem, replacing the RPM sensor is a good preventative measure for reliable future performance