Oz Volvo Nationals 8-10 November - register today! ozvolvo.org/nationals

120 Volvo 165

CanoeCanoe (@Canoe) Sydney,NSW.
edited September 5 in RWD

Had these pics sent a while ago.

Found them in my computer and thought Id share them. I so would love to own it!

bgpzfm142

Comments

• I don't know about others, but I can't see the pic.

• Ex850RSnoopy (@Ex850R) Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Melbourne.

Nup

• CanoeCanoe (@Canoe) Sydney,NSW.
    edited September 4

having trouble loading them,sorry.

They are on an old email, and i cant get them from the email onto the site.

• Ex850RSnoopy (@Ex850R) Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Melbourne.

Download them to your desktop first.

• jamesincJames (@jamesinc) Oz Volvo Ice Fortress

@Canoe fixed the photos up for you

bgpzfm142Canoe
  • Yep that’s Heino’s (Volvo Cub of Vic president) @volstretch

Vee_Que
  • Wow! I'm guessing this is the one that belongs to Heino? Possibly the best looking Volvo ever produced (in my opinion). Shame that it never went into full production.

carnut222
  • Heino sent me these pics 8 years ago. She really is beautiful! Thanks for loading them James.

• John Johnson had/has a red one as well, based on a '72 model if I recall correctly. These two would be the only ones made by Volvo Australia I'm pretty sure, and not sure that anyone has built one as a project in the years since.

Vee_Que
  • John's is a twin carb manual too.

• Unzip all the front subframes and weld back together. A fair bit of work, not impossible.

• A few have been built over the years in Europe and the US, it's not as simple as swapping panels, as the wheelbase is longer, with the extra length being between the front wheel arch and the A pillar.

RobVee_Que
  • I think Heino’s was made later, not by Volvo. John’s (which is orange, and currently undergoing a full restoration) was made in the Clayton factory. There’s a couple over in Europe as well. If you Google Volvo 165 you’ll probably see some stories about the various ones...I think there’s a dark green one in Europe that’s fairly well written about. As Ian said it’s a fair bit of work to do it properly. A number of people have looked at just putting the 164 front guards, bonnet and front panels on a 240 (for example)...but the front wheels were about 100 mm farther forward on the 164 so it requires a lot of metal work to line up the wheel arches with the 140 or 240 wheel position if you don’t want to lengthen the wheelbase.

Vee_Que
  • We all seem to be typing in “real time” so some of the stuff is repeat. Sorry!