2019 Nationals in Bathurst are 8-10 November, just over three months away! Make sure to register at ozvolvo.org/nationals!

XC90 Spare Key for 2012 XC90

Good morning, I just bought 2012 XC90 with only 1 key, how do I get a spare key? Vincent

Comments

• Volvo dealer is pretty much the only option, might be worth ringing a competent local locksmith and asking if they can do it but most don't have the equipment.
  • Ex850RSnoopy (@Ex850R) Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Melbourne.
    Buy key from berry motors or USA and get coded at dealer.
  • Quote from Volvo Dealer !!!

For a new key you would be looking at $510.00.
    This would then have to be cut and coded to your car.
    Cutting would be roughly $30 and coding would be roughly $185 but need to confirm with the service department.
  • Volvo Dealer reply to my query

I don't think you can unfortunately as they need to be coded through a Volvo dealership.
    In saying that you would have to go to a locksmith and see if they are able to.
    From our experience here it is very difficult to get it done that way.

My reply
    I don't have a budget of $725 total for a spare key, just wonder if I can get a key with electronic fob from a locksmith or such, can you do the coding alone ($185) to suit my car?
  • Westside Locksmiths said they can do the coding for $200 if they have the key.

They said there was the chance key bought from overseas may not work and they still have to charge $200 !!!
  • Most countries use different rf frequencies for their keyless entry so thats where you could have issues.
    Theres about 6 different frequencies for keys but if you pm me your VIN i can give you the part number for an australian key fob which should be same as USA Canada mexico
    Berry Motor Group........
  • Agree, contact Berry Motor Group. They sell keys, you get the dealer to code

Mark at Berrys also got them from USA, perhaps Tasca. Look em up,they have heaps of stuff or Erie Volvo if they are still operating, I recall a murmur...

• Tim gave me part numbers for key blade and remote control, which I can buy from USA or Europe.

Big thanks to Tim and everyone, will post part numbers, costs and where I get them from etc to hopefully assist others in future :)

kwahodiegads