2019 Nationals in Bathurst are 8-10 November, just over three months away! Make sure to register at ozvolvo.org/nationals!

Reviving a 244, throw your opinions in

jamesincJames (@jamesinc) Oz Volvo Ice Fortress
I bought a 2.1L K-Jet 244, and I need to go get it and drive it home, only issue is that it doesn't run, so I have to strategise and decide what parts to bring with me to get it running.

I have ideas about this, but so as not to steer the conversation, here is what the seller told me about the car, keen to take opinions on possible causes.
It was perfectly fine. We turned it off then back on again then it had a misfire which got progressively worse. We have replaced the distributor cap, ignition leads, air valve, manifold gasket, fuel pump, fuel filter, ignition rotor, ignition coil and spark plugs to try to fix it but it’s now not starting. We come to the decision that we’ve tried to change everything we can but it’s time we pass it on.

Comments

• Is the new pump or pumps wired correctly? I’ve heard of some instances where the polarity is switched on some pumps.

Also fuel pressure regulator can fail and make it seem impossible to start.

Also cold start too, if it has one.
  • I don't know much about K-jet but here's my two cents:

May be the ignition distributor itself? Does it have a hall sensor
    Fuel pump relay
    Fuel distributor(?)
    Injectors
    Not sure how the FPR is setup

They say it's not starting now, but do they know if its getting spark or fuel? The no starting may be unrelated to it running rough.
    Could just be bad wiring or something loose or in the wrong place... check connections to ballast resistor etc.
  • jamesincJames (@jamesinc) Oz Volvo Ice Fortress
    edited June 26
    @ALVO360 they said there was an intermittent loss of spark. That has me thinking it's ignition related, the computer or hall sensor as you suggest.

@paul0075 I assume you mean the bit that bolts to the block behind the distributor - I do have a spare pressure regulator

Pump wiring is easy enough to check, relays are easy to check (I think there's two in kjet, I'd better check)

I do have a manifold in the garage which I think has a cold start injector still in it, I'll bring that
    paul0075
  • I would bring:
    At least one spark plug of correct type for engine to test ignition.
    Multimeter to test ignition and fuel system.
    Carby cleaner and strong magnet and pliers to clean fuel plunger in k-jet distrubution block.
    Aerostart incase cold start has failed.
    Jumper leads or at least one spare known good fully charged battery.
    Bring a good selection of metric spanners and sockets including sparkplug socket.
    Powerful torch in addition to timing light would also be helpful.
    Maybe even a timing belt.
    Bring handful of the ceramic fuses, and electrical contact cleaner wouldn't hurt.
    2-3 crocodile clamp cheater wires about a meter long so you can bypass failed wiring.
    Good luck.
  • Only one part number is needed for this job: GM 19244097 :)

y0zvdhro9isr.jpg
    timboALVO360jamesincEx850RCanoe
  • So much has been changed that IMO you'd need to re-check what was done. e.g. correct main fuel pump fitted? Coil connections correct? etc

If she cranks and sparks, that leaves fuel and fuel system.

Packing TPH 30454/1 in your kit and running through the K-Jet checks may be the go. Worsening misfires can be caused by things like blockages, or lack of system pressure, along with the ubiquitous vacuum leak causes. As you know, K-Jet fuel pressures are a lot higher than LH or D-Jet - we're talking at least 64 PSI and ideally about 75 PSI.

Y'know, I reckon it's a safe bet you'll have it running happily (or at least find the cause why it won't) within an hour, and a further safe bet is that you won't have to delve into the K-Jet stuff like the air flow sensor plate and plunger.
    ALVO360
  • Timing belt slipped then snapped?
  • @carnut222 That is what happened to my original engine. It was already running rough due to a crappy old engine harness and fuel issues, then started back firing when trying to start (belt slipped), then wouldn't fire at all. The jig was up when I finally discovered the cam wasn't turning due to the belt totally breaking.
    paul0075carnut222
  • volvodrivermanvolvodriverman (@volvodriverman) Barringwood Estate, Tasmania
    I'd bring a car trailer myself so as to save the PO the upset when you wiggle a wire & it fires into life lol.
    Spacjamesinc
  • SpacSpac (@Spac) Canberra-ish.
    One way trailer hire?
  • That way if you do get it started you can bring back 2 Volvo's?!
    Timing belt slipped then snapped?
    A possibility. I don't have a spare unfortunately. If needed hopefully I can source one in Melbourne.
    @essbos I'm down with most of that stuff, can't bring the various solvents on the plane though, if needed I'll pick them up Saturday morning.
  • Could be a big split in the hose from fuel distributor to manifold/throttle body...I.e. vacuum leak as stated previously...
  • Where is it located? Maybe somebody local could have a look at it before you fly down?
    Could be a big split in the hose from fuel distributor to manifold/throttle body...I.e. vacuum leak as stated previously...
    Yeah I'm bringing a spare one of that hose too
    Where is it located? Maybe somebody local could have a look at it before you fly down?
    I was trying to line something up but wasn't able to make the timing work with the seller as they work odd hours. The car is way out on the eastern edge of Melbourne
  • Where is it located? Maybe somebody local could have a look at it before you fly down?
    I was trying to line something up but wasn't able to make the timing work with the seller as they work odd hours. The car is way out on the eastern edge of Melbourne
    Bugger. I’m way out west but happy to look at cars out this way if anyone needs me to...also happy to have a car sit in the drive for a short while if anyone needs temp storage