The forums were recently upgraded, and this may alter behavior or break things. If you notice problems, check and report them in this thread

240 sedan boot spring struts - removal

In the category of you learn something new every day, here’s how the spring struts on the 240 sedan (and presumably 140 sedans?) is held in place. Note there is no need to remove any pins - the spring strut is held in place by pre-load against the hinge and body bracket. The hinge is slotted and a pin on the strut slides into the slot. On the body there’s a bracket with a pin and the aluminium end piece on the strut has a corresponding notch that fits over the pin. I removed these by removing the hinges and the struts just fall out basically. Presumably you could remove them by opening the boot lid fully then compressing the strut slightly to disengage it from the slot in the hinge or body.
391imknk3hyk.jpeg
edcf6qpcb2tq.png
Ex850R

Comments

• Angus242164Angus (@Angus242164) Western Victoria
    edited May 6
    They are a pain to refit, I have a couple of special tools for removing and refitting them, one is home made, the other is a genuine Volvo special tool I picked up later. You're welcome to borrow one if needed.
    carnut222
  • carnut222carnut222 (@carnut222) Daylesford VIC
    They are a pain to refit, I have a couple of special tools for removing and refitting them, one is home made, the other is a genuine Volvo special tool I picked up later. You're welcome to borrow one if needed.

Good to know Angus in case anyone has a sedan they’re working on. I’m dismantling this one so just removed the hinges and the struts fell out. I should mess around with it for my own edification but I don’t plan on buying a sedan in the near future! :)
    Angus242164mex