240 Cooling and power loss issues

jamesincJames (@jamesinc) Oz Volvo Ice Fortress
I'm taking the Brapwagon down to Canberra for its first long-distance drive. The main thing I've noticed is that after some time at 110km/h, the temp gauge finally starts moving up to about the 8 o'clock position (it normally sits around the bottom of the gauge indicator, which is lower than any other 240 I've had). At the same time, the car loses power, so it takes more and more throttle to hold 110. When I back off, after a couple minutes it cools off and power returns closer to normal.

Very strange - anyone have any thoughts on this?

Comments

• Very strange
    I think you need to add i was in an s80 with three wheels getting pulled backwards and was told to "hold on shit is about to get real".
  • jamesincJames (@jamesinc) Oz Volvo Ice Fortress
    Rising temp and loss of power are associated with lean running I think
    Also it is hard to start when cold
  • Back to basics.

Test the thermostat, coolant temp sender

It's not overheating, it is running too cool and also hard to start cold, something is linked there

If you have an infrared gauge check the temp of the thermostat housing, top and bottom radiator hoses (when it's hottest)
    They're both fine, though out of an abundance of paranoia I have a new 87° thermostat on order anyway. I've gone over the whole engine with a FLIR camera looking for unusual temps and found none. At one point I wondered if there was a blocked coolant passage creating a hot spot or something like that but it all flows easily (I had the head off since to visually confirm too).

I had a scope on both ECT pins and they were showing about right.

I think because the old tank was so rusty, I want to swap the fuel filter again and maybe the main pump also and I'll pull the in tank pump just to inspect the sock and really satisfy myself that I'm not still just chasing rusty remnants in the system.
  • Ex850RSnoopy (@Ex850R) Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Melbourne.
    An AFR guage?
    cancer sucks
  • A crank sensor loosing sync might cause LH to not want to run much advance at higher revs. This could feel like losing power, and puts alot of heat into the head. But the temp rise would be post loss of power.
    Does LH go into any sort of limp mode when the coolant temp sensor sees higher temps?
    Perhaps just pull the rail and coil plug, give it a crank to see if there is a blocked injector? Although that doesn't explain the sporadic fault...
    jamesinc
  • How is the acceleration of the car idle-redline? Cold warm and hot
    A crank sensor loosing sync might cause LH to not want to run much advance at higher revs. This could feel like losing power, and puts alot of heat into the head. But the temp rise would be post loss of power.
    Does LH go into any sort of limp mode when the coolant temp sensor sees higher temps?
    Perhaps just pull the rail and coil plug, give it a crank to see if there is a blocked injector? Although that doesn't explain the sporadic fault...
    How would it lose sync exactly? Like faulty sensor? The flywheel is oriented correctly.
  • If you have a spare sensor it might be worth a try, but only if the temp rise happens after loosing power. This is not from experience with LH, rather from running conservative timing on MS and seeing temps rise with low power.
    How is the acceleration of the car idle-redline? Cold warm and hot
    Pretty lacklustre, my K-Jet B21 slaps it
    Perhaps just pull the rail and coil plug, give it a crank to see if there is a blocked injector
    I can check, i did swap out the rail and injectors a while back and it made no difference
    If you have a spare sensor it might be worth a try, but only if the temp rise happens after loosing power. This is not from experience with LH, rather from running conservative timing on MS and seeing temps rise with low power.
    Seems to happen at the same time I guess
    Just pulled a plug, brown enough to confirm lean running. Not surprising really all the symptoms suggest it, just a matter of getting to the bottom of why!
  • Can you upload a picture of the plugs?
    It's currently pouring rain in Canberra but when it clears up I can.
  • If you get stuck for parts Ikes will be open tomorrow and I have a white 89 240 in the yard you can pinch parts off
    egads
    @timbo cheers man, car should be fine. I'd be interested to try swapping the ECT out, it'll make it back to Sydney I just have to go easy on the power. I'm going to try and find tyres for the Cheviot rims tomorrow too
  • You aren't running lean that looks perfect to me