S/V/C70 V70R write off or facelift oportunity?

2»

Comments

• Entered the last decent photo I had of our car in the current IPD photo contest just because. :'(
    kx330iztq6v8.jpg

Do you reckon the wreck would qualify for the best hoopty category? ;)

dfs5h5f0bopx.jpg

" Defined courtesy of the urban dictionary - Any car that meets ANY or all of the following:
    a) driver must enter car through passenger side
    b) three different brand and size tires - 3 of them missing hubcap
    c) exhaust is held up by half a clothes hanger - other half replaces the antenna
    d) backfires every three blocks - loudest backfire being when car is turned off
    e) must open door at drive-thru's as windows don't roll down
    f) you only get one AM station and the tape deck eats all tapes inserted
    g) can't open the glove box as the whole thing will fall out
    h) if you let go of steering wheel while driving you'll make a u-turn
    i) must manually move blinker lever up and down as it no longer blinks on it's own
    j) must keep one foot on brake and one on accelerator when at a complete stop
    k) has had the same temporary registration sticker in the window for the last 18 months
    l) has all the above issues but still has a $200 professional tint job."
  • jamesincJames (@jamesinc) Oz Volvo Ice Fortress
    There's a nice P2 V70R for sale on the forums currently for $7k
  • ICEDVOVOBOXY (@ICEDVOVO) Dural NSW
    edited May 18
    yes I've seen that James.
    I always wanted one of those after buying my v70T 9 months before the R came out for just 30k more
    the v70T has been no slouch either with almost identical 0-100 on an auto.
    But after 170K my auto is slipping and flaring very once in a while.
    That R has had the gearbox rebuilt .
    The first auto one I looked at 10 years ago was very impressive.
    It went from "driving miss daisy" to "fast and furious" at the push of a button.
    It even felt lower and sportier after the button got pushed.
    It really was a jeckyl and hyde experience.
    But the car looks very nice and is a credit to the owner.
    Shame about the cream leather though, it really does show the wear and collects grime.
    I suppose it could be cleaned somehow.
    We are almost resolved to resurrect the 98R.
    WE would feel like traitors to just let her go.

• Ex850RSnoopy (@Ex850R) Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Melbourne.
    we are almost resolved to resurrect the 98R.
    WE would feel like traitors to just let her go.

I felt the same so I kept my R, with brand new tyres, under wraps in a yard I paid for for quite some time before capitulating.
    My newly built motor and old gearbox went to ressurect another ovlov....
    The tailgate is still at BMG, I have the rear seat bases....
  • Car officially written off now.
    Tossing up whether to repair or just sell the wreck.
    Havent really got the time to diy
    Interstate offers of help very welcome but I cant afford time to be trouncing up and down hume highway to check on things.
    Anyone want the car?
    Interior is immaculate. Box is good and engine is strong. All maintainence was up to date , timing belt just done and fuel tank inlet gasket replaced, new steering boots just done. Car looked and sounded great.
    Great opportunity for someone.
  • 10 months rego left on car
    NOT on any written off vehicle register.
    Just fix it and drive it.
    If you could fit a new light and bonnet and jury rig a new radiator you could drive it anywhere.
  • jamesincJames (@jamesinc) Oz Volvo Ice Fortress
    I suppose it could be cleaned somehow.
    It really is just a case of getting interior shampoo and a firm sponge and applying elbow grease
  • Thanks James. It is a really nice car but not sure if that's what I want. Wife hates the cream carpet.
  • ICEDVOVOBOXY (@ICEDVOVO) Dural NSW
    edited May 18
    Update on this car:
    Insurer has paid us out on the write off so will proceed with repair ourselves since it is panel damage only.
    Car will not appear on WOVR as it is older than 15 years & registered in NSW.
    Sourced new body panels , headlight ,condenser & ac pressure switch from a farm in Cessnock and waiting for spray painter to do his bit - 450 for parts, 750 for panel spray.
    Radiator, mechanical parts & a few extra goodies have just arrived from Skandix & FCP so will be installing those this weekend. An extra $500 for those bits. So total repair cost will be $1700

Thanks to all in Melbourne who offered to assist in the repair but it ended up being quite a simple repair job so decided to take it on ourselves - its only an easy days work to put it all back together again.

Working on car during election day will take my mind off the imminent change in government, A pox on those in the swinging seats of Queensland and Victoria that will throw it into the slippery hands of Labor. Not happy with the Libs either with their shenanigans. Bill Shorten as PM - who would have thought it was ever possible getting this droob elected after the leadership circus with Rudd & Gillard. It's been a gift from the Liberal clowns - Tony Abbott & Peter Dutton. deluded fools who undermined their own party at a point where re-election actually seemed feasible. All of them so out of touch with the real people they are supposed to represent. And all bereft of ideas and policies that will actually benefit the common good of our country and set a path for our younger people to achieve and prosper. While Whitlam couldn't manage the funds of a chook raffle he succeeded in making significant social change and led us into the light after decades of dull political conservatism. If only we had politicians who can provide the best of both worlds with stable leadership, economic management and the ability to make worthwhile and affordable changes that will benefit all of us.

Looking forward to seeing it on the road again - the only thing that will put a smile on my face in the darkest of winters to come.

mnupr9bdbib9.png
    Ex850R
    Very astute Boxy.
    Commendable.
  • Not such a dark winter after all.
    How wrong can the pollsters be?
    It's obviously an atypical cross section that has progressively lost accuracy as the public gradually get rid of landlines.
    After all its only losers with too much time on their hands who will waste their time on their mobiles an opinion poll.
    A bit like us losers wasting our time on a volvo forum.
    I mean, shouldn't we all get a real life?

Life is whatever you like doing right now that's not hurting anyone and makes you think.

• That sounds like a line from a song.
    But excuses me from feeling like the loser that my wife thinks I am for lurking on this forum.
    I might pass on those words of wisdom.
    Right about 10am when she finally gets herself out of bed.
    That sounds like a line from a song.
    But excuses me from feeling like the loser that my wife thinks I am for lurking on this forum.
    I might pass on those words of wisdom.
    Right about 10am when she finally gets herself out of bed.

Living a full life dear? You might say,you could say you were up at 6am and got so much done.

I spend too much time looking at cat videos....
  • Ha ha ha