RX7 calipers, suit 240 brake upgrade

Angus242164Angus (@Angus242164) Western Victoria
edited March 10 in For sale
Pair of RX7 calipers, ideal for 240 upgrade using DVS or Yoshifab bracket kits.

Good condition with all hardware and near new pads fitted. Lines/hoses will be removed and discarded for postage unless the buyer wants them.

$200 plus postage.

JvruPI4h.jpg
I have over 300 parts for sale to suit 100, 200, 700 and 900 series Volvo's, for more info see: http://zyrex.org/gallery/Cars/acw/volvoparts/
Updated April 21st 2016

Comments

• Angus242164Angus (@Angus242164) Western Victoria
    Bump.
    There is info on the DVS and Yoshifab sites, but I think it's a 740T 11.25" rotor.
  • still available?
    Yes, still available at the moment.
  • Tassie6erTassie6er (@Tassie6er) West Hobart, Tasmania
    The advantage of these is they fit a 285 mm disc meaning you can still run a 15 inch wheel and perhaps even a 14 inch wheel but you will need to check.
    Tassie6er
    According to Yoshifab they will fit with most 15" wheels, but not Virgo or Sirius due to the position of the strengthening ribs inside the spokes.

Virgo's makes sense as I know from experience that you can't fit them on the front of a turbo 700 series car, but Sirius were designed for that application, so Sirius might be OK over these on a 240.
    Tassie6er
  • 16” rims and bigger are the go for a successful outcome.
    STD Volvo 240 brakes in top condition really work well.
    The RX7 upgrade gives say a 10% improvement that becomes noticeable under maximum braking effort and that’s due to the calipers being mounted further out on the larger disc. The caliper 4 pistons are exactly the same diameter as the 240 Girlings.

So it’s an upgrade, but not in the 6 piston Brembo league.
    242GT Turbo, 940, SLK, +++
  • CanoeCanoe (@Canoe) Sydney,NSW.
    16” rims and bigger are the go for a successful outcome.
    STD Volvo 240 brakes in top condition really work well.
    The RX7 upgrade gives say a 10% improvement that becomes noticeable under maximum braking effort and that’s due to the calipers being mounted further out on the larger disc. The caliper 4 pistons are exactly the same diameter as the 240 Girlings.

So it’s an upgrade, but not in the 6 piston Brembo league.

If its only a "10% improvement ", wouldnt it just be better to get way more aggresive pads?
    Ive also heard braided lines allow more hydraulic pressure to get to the caliper.
    Just spit balling here.
  • Yes, using the standard Girling caliper, fitting a more aggressive pad would give a shorter braking distance.

Using the same brake pad material on either caliper would give the same result eg. plus 10% better braking on the RX7 Turbo caliper. I use Ferodo DS2500 pads. The 10% improvement is my estimate of the difference on a racetrack under full load downhill braking from ~ 100 km/h repeated on over 100 different occasions.
    The 240 rear brakes with their rear proportional control valves are starting to shudder at this point and by good Volvo design never lock up.

When you see the giant brake discs on modern cars our 240 units are adequate only.

Brake hoses - yes the braided hoses with the plastic inner would hold their shape better than the std thick reinforced rubber. The applied pressure would be exactly the same, but the non flex gives a more instant and consistent pedal. Again not a whole lot in it, but fitting new rubber brake hoses is a very good recommendation.
  • Why not upgrade and get braided lines while you're there?
  • SpacSpac (@Spac) Canberra-ish.
    One of the reasons why the RX7 calipers improve braking is that a lot of brake hoses are eliminated.

I converted the old 164 rally car to a conventional front/rear split using original hoses and modified original calipers - the pedal was MUCH better.
    jamesinc
  • jamesincJames (@jamesinc) Oz Volvo Ice Fortress
    One of the reasons why the RX7 calipers improve braking is that a lot of brake hoses are eliminated.

I converted the old 164 rally car to a conventional front/rear split using original hoses and modified original calipers - the pedal was MUCH better.
    I'd never considered that the double up of hoses in the front was a big contributor to pedal softness, but it makes sense
    egads
    Bump
  • Do you still have them? I am keen.