740 & 760 FWD 5Cyl to RWD to fit 740

Just out of curiosity I've recently gone a different way in my build an wanted to try find out some information needed to convert a b5204t FWD to RWD for my 740 wagon yes I'm aware there will be a lot of modifications to fit that doesn't phase me more along the lines of what gearbox etc would be best to run as won't be auto an it won't be running stupid amounts of power or anything if anyone has some insight on this I would appreciate it.

Comments

• RobRob (@Rob) - Lockyer Valley, SE Qld
    M90 is I bolt up manual but unicorns are easier to find.
    edited February 13
    Realistic choices that I am aware of, in addition to the M90:

1. BMW box : https://ozvolvo.org/discussion/10019/

2. T5 or T56 on an adapter plate behind a 960 bellhousing.

3. Toyota W57 or R154 on an adapter plate behind a 960 bellhousing.

The adapters exist because the 960 uses the same auto as a bunch of RWD Toyotas.
    egadsEx850RVee_Que
  • Just out of curiosity I've recently gone a different way in my build an wanted to try find out some information needed to convert a b5204t FWD to RWD for my 740 wagon yes I'm aware there will be a lot of modifications to fit that doesn't phase me more along the lines of what gearbox etc would be best to run as won't be auto an it won't be running stupid amounts of power or anything if anyone has some insight on this I would appreciate it.

Why not a b6304 that just bolts in?
    with even a DIY ems system like a MS1V3 you can still easily get more than 150kw at the wheels with very little effort

Trans wise, CD009 with adapter is an easy bolt in conversion and will be something that your pretty much never going to break

B5204t (not sure why you want the small displacement one....) needs a welded/custom pan and a pile of other stuff as well as much more limited choice for aftermarket ECU,
    I think you need to add i was in an s80 with three wheels getting pulled backwards and was told to "hold on shit is about to get real".
    bgpzfm142
  • GhettobirdJulian (@Ghettobird) Melbourne - SE Suburbs
    B6304 near drops in if you have mounts.

Wiring, tailshaft and linkages (if auto) are your biggest hurdles if staying with the 6, otherwise sump, pickup and waterline become issies with the 5.

You also need to think about the intake as the big'Ol swirly boi that comes on the N series engines will never fit.

Its been done and is usually very well documented.

6dJJxPbh.jpg
    bgpzfm142SpacJamesM
  • appreciate the information this is great the main reason to do b5204t is I have an engine just sitting in my garage doing nothing an figured I love the sound of a 5cyl an would like to try it in my 740 , I have herd the m90 is very hard to find but ill be sure to do some research on the other gearboxs an adapters mentioned before I attempt to fit it
  • Ex850RSnoopy (@Ex850R) Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Melbourne.
    M90 were recently brought in by Mark Iceton, he works at Berry motor group Mitcham Victoria.
    He is over in UK later this year so ask him about a box, way less hassle with M90.
    cancer sucks
    To swap in the 2.0l 5 cylinder would be a waste of time, its a huge amount of work only to achieve a slight power increase, when going for a turbocharged application would yield significantly larger gains for not much more $
    Having an engine is one thing, but having the ECU and ways to manipulate it are worth a lot more than just the engine
  • I may be wrong but if you swap the crank in from a 2.3 litre you'll achieve that displacement as I think the pistons are shared b/w 2.0 and 2.3 litre. A 2.0 litre just doesn't have the torque needed for high performance with this weight of car without a lot of high tech solutions ie supercharging and turbocharging combined

As a daily cruiser it would be ok I guess and definitely different
    2.5 is what you want for torque
  • like I said I have engine sitting in my garage ready an love the sound of a 5cyl I'm not going for power gains or anything of the sort more just I'm a big fan of the 5cyl I appreciate everyone getting back to me on this theres been greta help an hopefully will have something sorted very soon
  • tmovlovstmovlovs (@tmovlovs) Melbourne, Vic
    edited March 12
    The 2.5 litre straight six 960 had a manual option in the UK. The bolt pattern should be the same as for the 5 cylinder?? Easiest swap ever if this is the case as you just use that manual box with the 5 cylinder and it remains all Volvo
    Getting hold of the gearbox is difficult, the last lot to come from UK were from @iceton1975 and you may think expensive but considering you need to make another type of box fit with all that's involved then it is cost effective. Talk to Mark at Berry motor group.
    @Vee_Que here does conversion kits too iirc.
    Maybe the auto bolts on?
    @Ghettobird just did a 240 with the six cylinder.
    Yes the whiteblock M90 bolts right up, you can even use an R clutch and flywheel which would make a nice stockish setup.

Tremec T5s are hardly rated to what a stock internal T5 can put out with a reasonable tune (North of 400 FW or in this case - RW NM)

Your best bets will be an M90 - although very costly and near impossible to replace if you lunch it,
    T56 although costly and still a rather agricultural gearbox

Getrag from the commos or early BMW 3 series offerings - 260s are common enough but are all getting quite old although are a nice enough shifting box - Will require considerable modification to the bellhousing.

Toyota R154 or R155 variants - R154s are getting rare and are very exxy for boxes as is without rebuilding, R155s however are worth near shit-all but have ratios that arent all that nice. Super stout box, will take near as much as you can throw at it.
    https://www.driftmotion.com/T-1UZ-R154-TA-p/dm2141.htm

Nissan CD009 - Modern 6 speed shifter, comes out of the 350zs and a few others of that flavour, fantastic shifting box, super stout and will take an absolute beating. Known to take 1000nm like its nothing. Has a non removable bellhousing BUT there are kits out there that make it work out quite nicely if you dont mind getting a little creative with a grinder. Also fantastic ratios.
    Deeworks makes a super snazzy adaptor that makes this possible
    https://www.deeworks.ca/product/volvo-whiteblock-and-toyota-2jz-to-350z-370z-g35-g37-6-speed-transmission-adapter/

Id avoid going with the older tremec T5, with anything more than a moderately worked B230FT and your gonna have a bad time
    Ex850RSpac
  • SpacSpac (@Spac) Canberra-ish.
    I am looking into the gearbox side of things myself ATM.

The CD009 ratios are a better choice for anything with a normal diff ratio. Not sure if anyone has actually proven fitment in a Volvo chassis yet? Lots of conflicting info about their durability, and apparently the earlier versions (which aren’t actually CD009s but are often called such) had synchro problems.

The T56s pretty much demand a very low ratio (big number) diff to work on anything that’s not a big V8. But if you’re prepared to swap diff ratios they can work fine. Also can be bought for significantly less money than the Nissan box.

KL Racing lists adaptor plates for the least common BMW motors. Not sure if they are the same as the later/more common BMW motors (BMW used the same bellhousing bolt pattern from the mid 90s to at least the late ‘00s).
    If so, there’s two basic boxes - the Getrag which is dirt cheap, has close ratios and is reasonably tough, and the ZF which has pretty much the same ratios but it very tough and much more expensive.
    All the E36-E87 BMW 5-speeds have a 1:1 5th gear which demands a tall diff ratio (low number) in a road car. This is the smarter way of doing it, because the diff is both stronger and quieter.
    The BMW six speeds have very similar 1st - 5th ratios as the five speeds, with an overdrive 6th. This makes the ratios comparable to a CD009.

Personally, I have made no decisions, but my gut feeling is that I will end up with a CD009.
    egads
    1300 bux for Nissan box?
  • SpacSpac (@Spac) Canberra-ish.
    1300 bux for Nissan box?

About that. Plus US$550 for the adaptor. Plus clutch, plus flywheel, plus tailshaft...
    I don’t expect to get out of it for under $3000.
    Ghettobird