140 1 series front seat replacement

ab1Alex (@ab1) Melbourne
edited December 2018 in General
Hi all,

currently looking at the best way to mount alfa 156 seats into the 164 and looking at possible options. unfortunately not much content on the best way to do. i know one guy has mounted them to the existing seat rails but i imagine this will cause them to sit too high.

i am wondering if anyones had any success removing the cross member that the factory seats are mounted to. i would like to remove it if possible creating a significantly lower mounting point for the seats (mount them directly to the floor instead) however i'm concerned over whether the cross member provides any purpose beyond just mounting the factory seats such as structural rigidity for the chassis itself.

As a side note looking at fitting the 156 rears as well but theres going to whole other can of worms when i get to it.

Cheers

Comments

• I would not remove the welded cross-member from the body. It’s there for side impact, floor strength etc. Not just for the seat mounting.
  • Ex850RSnoopy (@Ex850R) Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Melbourne.
    Some fabrication skills are needed.
    Please do it safely or have someone do the mods for you.
    cancer sucks
  • Are the 164 seat rails the same width as a 240 seat rail set? I've just trial fitted a drivers 156 Alfa Romeo factory Momo seat into my 240. The seat rails between the Alfa and a 240 are exactly the same width.
  • ab1Alex (@ab1) Melbourne
    edited January 1
    the 164 seat rails are slightly different width. it would be the easy option to mount the alfa seats to the 164 rails (which i may have to do) but the problem with the 1 series is the cross member means that the seat sits far too high. my main reason for wanting to modify the cross member is to sit lower and feel less boaty but obviously i do not want to do that unless it is safe to do so. i find it strange the 240 shares the much of the same platform but it does not have this cross member at all.

i wont be doing any such fab work unless it maintains structural integrity of the vehicle.
  • the 164 seat rails are slightly different width. it would be the easy option to mount the alfa seats to the 164 rails (which i may have to do) but the problem with the 1 series is the cross member means that the seat sits far too high. my main reason for wanting to modify the cross member is to sit lower and feel less boaty but obviously i do not want to do that unless it is safe to do so. i find it strange the 240 shares the much of the same platform but it does not have this cross member at all.

i wont be doing any such fab work unless it maintains structural integrity of the vehicle.
    Do you actually sit higher in the 164 than a 240? I have a 145 and I actually feel like I sit a bit lower in that, even with the seat up as high as it goes. If you look at the crossmember on the 140/160 does the top of it sit higher than the integral crossmember in the 240? I’m not sure. On the 240 the height of the crossmember is just below the top of the sill panel. I didn’t think the 140 crossmember sat any higher than the sill, so you may just be thinking the crossmember is higher because it sits there by itself, not gently sloping metal like is in the 240. I could be wrong, but I’m happy to take some measurements on both 140 and 240 to confirm what I’m thinking if you like. See my crude sketch below going by memory...
    Ej2u5Wfh.jpg
    ab1
  • SpacSpac (@Spac) Canberra-ish.
    edited January 2
    Been a while since I looked at a 140/160 floor, but if my memory serves me...

I'd look at removing the lateral box section and replacing it with some 3mm wall RHS with load spreading plates where it mounts to the tunnel and sill. This would be stronger in every way than the factory sheet metal, as well as providing you with flexibility to put the seats where you want/need them.

A second one at the rear of the seat would be WAY stronger/safer than the factory eyelet bolt for the rear mounting point.

I'd suggest a minimum of 75x75x2mm for the load spreaders (although 100x100 would be better), and 25x50x3mm for the RHS.
    Ex850R