BMW gearbox onto RWD whiteblock?

I have seen this mentioned in passing a few times, but can't find any solid info.

Can anyone shed any light on the subject?

Comments

• GhettobirdJulian (@Ghettobird) Melbourne - SE Suburbs
    2 most common setups are:
    Back section of a 960 bellhousing welded onto the fixed bellhousing of an e39 530D manual diesel gearbox, or less commonly an adapter plate that goes between the fixed bellhousing on the bimmer box - most commonly the older getrag selections like the G260 or G265 iirc?

KL racing used to do the plates, but would require modification to the ring gear section of the bellhousing and other fettling around that put me off.

The pre-welded up diesel getrag boxes Incant find anymore.

If it didn't have to be a getrag, there are some recent progressions in fitting a nissan CD009 box behind the whiteblock
    Spacegads
  • We made this for a red block. U could do the same
    Spac
  • SpacSpac (@Spac) Canberra-ish.
    https://shop.klracing.se/sv/artiklar/volvo-vit-rak-motor-bmw-zf-525tds-lilla-6an-getrag.html

They do make me a bit nervous the way they talk about different BMW boxes.
    GhettobirdVee_Que
  • There is a lot to choose ratio wise etc. but I think the 2 adapters are for the 2 brands of gearbox getrag or ZF ?
    We were told to go with a gearbox out of a 325 and not use a 318. When we looked at part numbers we found the same box on eBay to suit 5 series and even early M3
    Pretty much every four and six cylinder BMW since the start of the E36 series uses the same block-to-bell housing bolt pattern.
    Hence my concern about the multiple options from klracing.

They all use pretty much the same ratios too, FWIW.
    Vee_Que
  • I have a spare Getrag 260/5 from a VS Commodore if you want to use it for research purposes. Externally looks the same as the 260/5 in my E24, but different input/output shafts and different gear ratios.
    Vee_QueSpac
  • GhettobirdJulian (@Ghettobird) Melbourne - SE Suburbs
    edited March 12
    Non removable bellhousing makes things tricky IIRC
    KL racing used to sell adapters, but would require grinding of the ID if the bellhousing in order to clear the ring gear on the flywheel.
    Bit messy unless you cut and weld it.
    edited March 12
    For reference: BMW M51 and M57 motors are their newish diesels. Roughly corresponding to the E46-E90 era.

I am 99% sure that they have the same bolt pattern as the M42/44/50/52/54 petrol motors.

Edit: Lots of BMW 6-speeds on UK ebay for under 100 quid. Those that quote freight to Australia are about 225 quid. Requires more investigation
  • I have a spare Getrag 260/5 from a VS Commodore if you want to use it for research purposes. Externally looks the same as the 260/5 in my E24, but different input/output shafts and different gear ratios.

Do you have a photo of this thing which you can kindly post?
    1LQhVAhm.png
    71 1800E |73 144 |74 142 |74 145 |79 242GT |88 780 |93 945T |93 945|2010 S80 V8