El Wifeo is entered for the second round of the Summer Series next weekend. Her pretty much prepped, with a few tidy-ups ahead of the rego inspection that’s booked for late next week.
I fitted the correct rear springs to the “wrong” shocks. It sits too high in the bum, but not outrageously so.
Clearly need to pull my finger out and make up the lower mounts for the proper rally shocks.
On my car, the reamer-for-tierod-ends experiment worked.
I did some reading about tierod tapers and decided to take a punt on a Chinabay reamer having the correct taper. It was the right one, which I demonstrated to my own satisfaction when I dropped it into the original Mirage upright and it locked into the taper...
The end of the reamer is 13.4mm which I could just wriggle into the chuck of my drill. Then slowly and carefully with heaps of WD40, the Chinabay reamer worked its way into the steering arm - both tierod ends now sit in the (half depth) taper perfectly, so I cannot foresee any dramas at all.
However... I did the passenger’s side on a bit too big/deeply. It still tightens up perfectly, but I need to check how much travel it has, and that the out portion of the TRE won’t contact the steering arm at any combination of suspension travel and steering lock.
That task can wait until the coilover sleeves arrive and I have it all back apart again. Worst case is another trip to the wreckers for another CH upright.
Yesterday, I stopped at the wreckers in Goulburn. Tried to buy a pair of the twin piston front calipers for ElWifeo’s car - removed a pair from an AWD Magna, and then realised that they have the Evo6-style 158mm wide mounting points rather than the 128mm of lesser Mirages/Lancers and S40s. * sigh *
I did successfully obtain the power steering pump mount from a CH Lancer for my car. A week or two back, I realised that the serpentine belt needs the PS pump, or I was up for a bunch of pain in making mounts for idler pulleys - at that point, it definitely seemed obvious that the simplest path out was to refit the PS.
So a used pump was dutifully ordered from ebay, but when it arrived it became obvious that I didn’t have the correct bracket for the PS pump... I got motivated enough to fit the bracket this morning, but then the heat beat me.
The new timing belt kit arrived last week, but they sent me two balance shaft belts and no timing belt, so another thumbs down there.