Oz Volvo Nationals 8-10 November - register today! ozvolvo.org/nationals

Alex's 360 build thread

Comments

• edited May 28
    You can send a narrowband 02 signal to the ecu from your plx box too so can run the wideband closer to the turbo
    ALVO360Vee_Que
  • You can send a narrowband 02 signal to the ecu from your plx box too so can run the wideband closer to the turbo

Ok, that's good to know as I wasnt too sure about how it could all work. I'm starting to run out of space to put gauges, I'll have to get creative.
  • I find the wideband gets annoying/distracting if its in your line of sight, especially at night so maybe dont mount it permanently at first. I used to have mine in the glovebox of my 850 so if i wanted to check it i could just leave the glovebox open.
    ALVO360
  • edited May 28
    Let's never speak of this..
    egads
  • Crap! Really wild weather out there tonight. Did a roundabout get hungry?
  • edited May 30
    Nothing to see here...
  • Vee_QueVee_Que (@Vee_Que) South Eastern suburbs Melbourne.
    Can't see the picture.

Build thread is great, I still think that a flat flywheel would do the job given it takes up less room around the circumference of the flywheel though.

Fcpeuro have the sqaure edged gaskets for the oil cooler too.
    ALVO360
  • I find the wideband gets annoying/distracting if its in your line of sight, especially at night so maybe dont mount it permanently at first. I used to have mine in the glovebox of my 850 so if i wanted to check it i could just leave the glovebox open.

That's some good advice. I can definitely see how it could become annoying/distracting, as you said.
    I'm going to have to figure out how im going to network all that cabling and that's where shell stay.
    u4iw45da3smw.jpg
    yapcq9own9dz.jpg
    rkff0daaiqal.jpg

timbo
  • edited June 8
    I've made my first instrument cluster speed sensor. It consists of the following:

1 x 2k7 1/4 axial resistor
    2 x No.2 x 9.5mm self tapper screw
    1 x A3144E through hole hall switch
    10mm x small heat shrink
    3 x 7cm small gauge wire
    1 x 3D printed holder
    Pea of epoxy glue

Link to 3d print file:
    https://www.tinkercad.com/things/d7KWyZdxanN-vehicle-speedo-speed-sensor-holder-1980s-vw-volvo

The hall sensors are so small and you need to solder the axial resistor onto the two outer prongs and wire onto all 3 prongs. I destroyed two already by overheating the hall sensor. I had to get some high flux solder (60/40 tin and lead) to do this one. I need to hook up a test light to make sure its all working before I install. I will update as I go.

z0kvow1sciqj.jpg
    0m6frbc3c5in.jpg
    xm9hfbqfc1t2.jpg
    qzjs2346j2v7.jpg
    6l4a3bqoflx5.jpg
    i3tcdriv5hjj.jpg

Instructions from Tony at 300mania:
    1. Form the hall sensor by widening out the legs a little and bending the plastic part at 45 degrees to the legs, the widest part should face out (down)
    2. Form the resistor to attach to the outer 2 legs and to be bend back on itself
    3. Pre-tin the resistor and sensor legs then solder, use a croc clip + tweezers jig to hold (will add photos later)
    4. Strip and solder the wire to the legs, don't linger or you'll melt the resistor off
    5. Put the heat shrink on the middle leg and slide up close to the hall sensor, heat to shrink (without melting the solder)
    6. Fit the lot into the holder and bend the hall sensor 90 degrees, bend the resistor down flush with the holder.
    7. Glue the hall sensor and wires with epoxy at both ends and the resistor, use minimal amounts to ensure the epoxy does not protrude too far. Arrange something to hold it in place while the epoxy hardens, or consider super glue initially.
    bgpzfm142
  • edited June 9
    I've connected the led to my speed sensor and I'm getting 4x flashes per revolution. For now it appears to be working correctly. I'll be making some more soon to keep as spares and potential give away to any 360 owner wishing to convert to lh2.4 @pigdog @Raebird @Laurie - let me know if you want one.

l9kjo26zvjj9.jpg
    egadstimboRaebirdcarnut222
  • edited June 9
    My total solder experience is now 4 hours. I had a hard time keeping a steady hand and not overheating the wires. I've just finished my 3rd sensor and they all pass the initial led test.

dw3f0hk1oyzu.jpg
    c7rswa1cxs9e.jpg
    a7uuc1es60hb.jpg
    rbx7tn4bsgvm.jpg
    bgpzfm142
  • edited June 11
    I've been playing around with some ideas for the grill.

csr183yyvkvf.jpg
    65bd93ssqzhc.jpg
    jyl99dgi55kx.jpg
    ma0ars7wxjzj.jpg
    9z2b5j4peajg.jpg

carnut222
  • edited June 11
    Ok...I think I ruined this one 😂 it was a good idea at the time. Silver looks good.

766b5ib664fo.jpg
    kky5pocc01g1.jpg
    fskpwt9uy684.jpg
  • jamesincJames (@jamesinc) Oz Volvo Ice Fortress
    Very cool idea
  • Just need to paint it black to go back
    ALVO360
  • Just need to paint it black to go back

I'm a little worried that once I go black, I'll never go back.
    I actually have enough material to make 3, so I've cut out another one and this one will be displayed with my collection of Swedish grills.
    egads
  • I've painted my grill black, looks fresh. The red lettering is actually growing on me.
    wq1avap8ufr7.jpg
  • edited June 12
    Fresh GLT lettering done with a silver paint pen.

oj6lvm0yw2mk.jpg
    hbk35t54uzd0.jpg

jamesincbgpzfm142carnut222
  • edited June 24
    Good news. I installed the speed sensor and took her for a drive. Idles fine and no more 3-1-1 code :+1:
    btunq4det0bd.jpg
    jamesincbgpzfm142carnut222
  • I put the painted grill on with the mesh backing. I had to move the intercooler back 10mm for it to fit. Hides the intercooler well.

Before
    9vyjosbe3di1.jpg
    After
    wimmtv3ok5nf.jpg
    egadsjamesinccarnut222