The forums were recently upgraded, and this may alter behavior or break things. If you notice problems, check and report them in this thread

740 & 760 Is E10 Unleaded 91 Compatible for 740GL 1989?

RomerJon17Ansett Driver (@RomerJon17) Frankston, Melbourne
I noticed E10 Unleaded 91 is compatible with older cars. I'm not going to fuel E10 because I will be SUPER scared I could damage the engine and fuel contamination unless someone fuelled one on 1980s Volvo.

I stick with Costco Fuel because it runs excellent on the road rather than Caltex Unleaded 91 fuel in case of emergency.

Comments

• SpacSpac (@Spac) Canberra-ish.
    It will be fine.

Most of the horror stories you hear about E10 don’t withstand scrutiny. My old 84 245GL ran almost exclusively on E10 with no sign of problems. I haven’t proven the point, but my 93 940GLE seems to run better on E10.

Mechanics love to blame it for everything, but there’s nothing in a 740GL that will be upset by E10.
  • 740gl will run e85 without issue as long as o2 sensor not dead
  • I wouldn't; you get better mileage with 91 octane regular unleaded anyway. Despite the higher cost. Over time, the ethanol will eat the metal in the fuel system and corrode the rubber fuel lines
    RomerJon17
  • SpacSpac (@Spac) Canberra-ish.
    edited June 3
    You cannot categorically state that the fuel economy will be anything, especially in a 30yo car.

I know the theory about lower calorific value of ethanol, but there’s so many variables in the design, tune and condition of various cars (especially cars this old) and in the fuels themselves, that any blanket statement is highly likely to be wrong.
    My own experience across various cars, is that usually E10 vs 91 creates no noticeable change in fuel consumption. I’d say that changing to E10 doesn’t effect the fuel used in 80% of cars, 15% of them will use more, and the last 5% actually use less.

The stories about E10 eating stuff are very, very rarely accurate and usually include conflation with E85 or methanol, and/or a misunderstanding of what hygroscopic is.
    If there is going to be a problem, it is usually the ethanol dislodging ancient crap that has built up in the fuel system.
    VolvoHordz240
  • RomerJon17Ansett Driver (@RomerJon17) Frankston, Melbourne
    I wouldn't; you get better mileage with 91 octane regular unleaded anyway. Despite the higher cost. Over time, the ethanol will eat the metal in the fuel system and corrode the rubber fuel lines

I found this site which shows E10 compatible with Volvo 740 before 1986.

https://www.fcai.com.au/environment/can-my-vehicle-operate-on-ethanol-blend-petrol

1ky1p94yaaz3.png
    qv07wa5iu3oj.png
  • That's when the cat converter came in. There must be a reason but anyhow, I wouldn't risk ANYTHING as far as damage over time, it's not worth it. I use strictly 91 octane
  • That's when the cat converter came in. There must be a reason but anyhow, I wouldn't risk ANYTHING as far as damage over time, it's not worth it. I use strictly 91 octane

I'm past 15 years of running my 91 940 turbo on e85

What's the longest you have left E85 in the tank and how often do you drive that car?

What's the longest you have left E85 in the tank and how often do you drive that car?

Everything from daily to once a year
    Same tank of fuel was in there from 2013-2015
    I've also refilled the tank multiple times in a day when in long cruises
  • It's had over 100,000km put on it on e85
    Car is up to 350k km
    Factory fuel pumps (like from Volvo in 1991 when car was built)
  • Ex850RSnoopy (@Ex850R) Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Melbourne.
    The misinformation is writ large,long and by many so called reputable people or institutions cos the oil industry kills all competition......
  • Right and what material was your 940 fuel tank made of?