The forums were recently upgraded, and this may alter behavior or break things. If you notice problems, check and report them in this thread

Alex's 360 build thread

Comments

• Thank you James, that was very helpful.
  • Vee_QueVee_Que (@Vee_Que) South Eastern suburbs Melbourne.
    @ALVO360 once you have it all cleaned up, you can keep all that carbon build-up away by changing the oil more often. I do oil every multiple of 5000km and filter every multiple of 10000km and I've had engines that are still spotless inside after several years of use.

Oil filter is more important than the oil itself. It's a false economy to not do both. This is via information from someone high up in teaching at gmh.
    Mid thrust motors are more likely to move on the thrust from load. Checking the bearings will be your best bet about whether to keep this unit.

No need to get a b230ft! A b230f or fb is just fine with bigger than stock injectors with lh2.4.
  • Mid thrust motors are more likely to move on the thrust from load. Checking the bearings will be your best bet about whether to keep this unit.

No need to get a b230ft! A b230f or fb is just fine with bigger than stock injectors with lh2.4.

Would this require me to drill out the oil return for the turbo?
  • jamesincJames (@jamesinc) Oz Volvo Ice Fortress
    @ALVO360 once you have it all cleaned up, you can keep all that carbon build-up away by changing the oil more often. I do oil every multiple of 5000km and filter every multiple of 10000km and I've had engines that are still spotless inside after several years of use.

Oil filter is more important than the oil itself. It's a false economy to not do both. This is via information from someone high up in teaching at gmh.
    Can I get an actual citation on that outrageous claim?
    Raebirdegads
  • @ALVO360 once you have it all cleaned up, you can keep all that carbon build-up away by changing the oil more often. I do oil every multiple of 5000km and filter every multiple of 10000km and I've had engines that are still spotless inside after several years of use.

+1. Its been proven multiple times that changing a filter too often actually negates the effectiveness of the filter. A filter gains efficiency the older it gets and then drops off after it reaches peak efficiency.
    Raebirdegads
  • Ex850RSnoopy (@Ex850R) Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Melbourne.
    edited June 2018

+1. Its been proven multiple times that changing a filter too often actually negates the effectiveness of the filter. A filter gains efficiency the older it gets and then drops off after it reaches peak efficiency.

A filter getting better with age doesnt make any sense either....

a guide , not detailed but its got the important stuff.

http://knowhow.napaonline.com/need-oil-filter-change/
    Vee_Que
  • @ALVO360 once you have it all cleaned up, you can keep all that carbon build-up away by changing the oil more often. I do oil every multiple of 5000km and filter every multiple of 10000km and I've had engines that are still spotless inside after several years of use.

A filter getting better with age doesnt make any sense either....

a guide , not detailed but its got the important stuff.

http://knowhow.napaonline.com/need-oil-filter-change/

That article refers to what happens if you leave it for too long. What I am talking about is that changing a filter too often is false economy. A filter is designed to trap particulate media by using its own solid media (paper, fibre etc). This solid media has a certain level of efficiency when it is clean. As the filter gets used and more and more particulate gets trapped then the size of the media that can pass through it gets smaller and smaller until eventually it gets clogged and no longer works and the solid media either breaks down or the oil pressure rises in the engine due to the restriction or the bypass valve opens and dirty oil is circulated. This scenario would only really happen in a WELL PAST DUE filter or a filter that is fitted to an engine that is sucking in lots of dirt, is running rich or a diesel that is ashing into the oil.

There is a certain point that the filter will reach in its lifetime where its efficiency increases over its efficiency it had when it was new. This period is usually not too far from the end of the recommended service life (6 months, 10k - 20k) at which point the filter gets changed and the cycle starts again.

So yes changing a filter each and every oil change will ensure the engine is getting the as advertised filtration on the box, but there is no economy/performance/longevity to be gained by doing so. If the engine is running properly and is not dirtying the oil in excessive amounts then its fine to change every other time.

This is of course my observations + reading ive done because I too was in the "change every time" camp but it really isnt necessary and is just pedantic.
    Ability to Guage various brand filter performance isn't in many people's skill set.
  • edited June 2018
    Just some more cleaning and painting while I'm waiting for my gasket sets and valve stem seals. Its amazing this 940 was still running with all the vacuum leaks, the condition of the injectors and intake manifold etc.

Jr4RIymh.jpg
    laaHCNth.jpg
    egads
  • Pulled a bearing cap and to no surprise, they are a bit worn. Crank looks fine and the caps don't look bad at all, no excessive heat spots or grooves.

3wiCQgzh.jpg
    DMJp3UAh.jpg
    Vee_Que
  • edited June 2018
    The way I see it, if the oil filter is designed to be effective for 10,000 kms, under normal operating conditions, then it will be fine to reuse until 10,000kms. But when they cost $10... and if you are changing your oil more frequently than the manufacturers recommendation to gain longevity, then it makes just as much sense to not put 4-500mls of old oil back into your engine. Saying that, you can always drain your filter of oil and reinstall, but at that stage it makes more sense (to me) to just replace it. I agree with the false economy statement from @slowbrick and at the same time have a "may as well while I'm here" attitude towards maintenance on my vehicles.
    Everytime I have changed the oil in any car, I replace the filter as a standard. Either way, I will be doing oil and filter changes every 5-7.5K kms because that's what I feel will be taking the best care of my engine to ensure its "up to code" for many years to come. What I find amusing is when people swear by 5000km oil changes but are willing to overlook an array of other maintenance items like air filters, maf sensor, throttle body cleaning and vacuum hoses conditions. You rarely hear about frequent coolant changes, but the engine oil frequency has been discussed and debated, probably since the early 1900's when water cooling actually mean bringing a bucket of water with you to pour over the engine haha
  • The way I see it, if the oil filter is designed to be effective for 10,000 kms, under normal operating conditions, then it will be fine to reuse until 10,000kms. But when they cost $10... and if you are changing your oil more frequently than the manufacturers recommendation to gain longevity, then it makes just as much sense to not put 4-500mls of old oil back into your engine. Saying that, you can always drain your filter of oil and reinstall, but at that stage it makes more sense (to me) to just replace it. I agree with the false economy statement and at the same time have a "may as well while I'm here" attitude towards maintenance on my vehicles.
    Everytime I have changed the oil in any car, I replace the filter as a standard. Either way, I will be doing oil and filter changes every 5-7.5K kms because that's what I feel will be taking the best care of my engine to ensure its "up to code" for many years to come. What I find amusing is when people swear by 5000km oil changes but are willing to overlook an array of other maintenance items like air filters, maf sensor, throttle body cleaning and vacuum hoses conditions. You rarely hear about frequent coolant changes, but the engine oil frequency has been discussed and debated, probably since the early 1900's when water cooling actually mean bringing a bucket of water with you to pour over the engine haha

At the end of the day having a mindful attitude will get you 90% of the way and the other 10% is luck. If you are taking a proactive approach to you maintenance then you are ahead of the rest of the population regardless of your routine (change filter + oil, change filter+oil+coolant etc). Just by having an active attitude towards your car you will notice faults before they become serious and all that other stuff. I hope I didnt come across as a "know it all" was just having a discussion on my views on it and wasnt trying to say anyone was wrong or right. Looks like you have the right attitude so should be able to get many years out of your equipment :D
    ALVO360Ex850Regads
  • I appreciate the shared knowledge getting around and all technical discussions, especially on my thread 😀 I have learnt a lot from members on this site and I couldn't be more grateful for your contributions. Thanks to all who have followed my thread and offered your advice and opinions.
    I like to wait till you build up a lot of posts so I get a good read and I like lots of pix too so Thankyou!
    Love the block colour!
    gavinh
  • edited June 2018
    @ex850r this one's for you!
    To be continued...
    FDqHDHjh.jpg
    egadsEx850R
    It's good of people without qualifications to be writing things like this as fact. The fact that almost no oem recommend oil only changes even on harsh driving situations (which is stop start driving, towing, high speed driving, continuous dusty road driving) which are half normal intervals, tells me more than Slowbrick saying it's a false economy.

On top of that, you're definitely mixing the old oil washed out with petrol and carbon, with fresh oil which has fresh additives.

On vehicles with small oil filters, and small sumps,(under 4l) like most Jap cars, not changing the tiny oil filter is the false economy. In a b230 with near 5l capacity and a giant oil filter, it's not so bad. But the oil filter is 10% of the cost of the oil change. So why not just do it and not be lazy and risk recirculating carbon/metal etc through a motor?

But of course I don't have a link to back up this currently, I only have been a mechanic in various fleets and dealers for 10 years.
    timbo
  • edited June 2018
    I agree largely with what your saying but there is always going to be oil in the engine contaminating new oil, and I get it that it's not preferred to have more than you need, but surely it wouldn't be doing too much harm.

An oil change is always going to be better than no oil change at all, just like a filter change Is always going to be better than none at all, too. but better isnt always necessary and I'm sure we can understand why not changing the filter until the second 5,000km oil change comes around is desirable. It's half the effort and usually much cleaner to work with.
    I think more frequent oil changes than the manufacturers recommendations, are just people taking proactive measure to care for their machines. That's why I do it.
    I never write the date though and Dont follow the 6 month rule because I do more than 10,000kms in 6 months.
    What breaks oil down anyway?
    Fuel
    Carbon
    Friction/Heat cycles
    Time

Is there anything else to consider?