[sold]Old School Short LSD Diff

Comments

• 3.73/1031 out of a 240? I would ask which lsd. Unless you ARE putting it in a corolla/celica, stud pattern would make it a pain.
  • It's useless for a street car as it sounds like they've modified the suspension pickup points. Also no details on ratio or if its an aftermarket LSD centre. If factory Volvo g60 LSD it's not worth it as it's mainly for snow not a performance LSD.
    Im assuming you just want it to pinch the LSD centre?
  • SpacSpac (@Spac) Canberra-ish.
    Says ratio is "around 3.7" - how do you do all that work and not even know what ratio it is? Almost guarantees that the seller has no idea what type of LSD it is.
    If it is a genuine Volvo clutch plate LSD in good condition, then it is worth it just for the LSD hemisphere.
    egads
  • Is it worth it, though? When you can get a new truetrac for a couple hundred more. Who knows, might be what's in there already...then it would be tempting.
    timbo
    Truetrac is not a great motorsport LSD.
    egads
  • Truetrac is not a great motorsport LSD.

Elaborate?
    1992 940GL, 1991 940GL parts car, 1989 740GLE parts car
    They unlock when you lift a wheel. Same is true for all torsen type LSDs.
  • They unlock when you lift a wheel. Same is true for all torsen type LSDs.

What would you recommend as a motorsports diff?
  • Is there something better available for the same loot? If so, it's tantrum time (having bought a truetrac for my celica at the start of the year).
    Clutch plate LSDs are the best option, at the expense of more maintenance.

I don't know of anyone making clutch LSDs for the Dana30, although I am vaguely assuming that you can buy something out of Sweden for half a year's wages. Hence why I value the original Volvo clutch LSDs.

Don't get me wrong: a torque biasing diff can work very well for motorsport, but they do have their limitations in certain circumstances.
  • Advice from someone with more experience is always welcome, so thank you Spac. The day I lift a wheel is the day I'm up for a new drivers seat cover, so I'm ok with what I've got. This is from a guy that thought a lifted hilux handled pretty good, though...
    Spac
  • It's all about your suspension setup and what surface your driving on too
    It's all about your suspension setup and what surface your driving on too

This /\.
    On the track, Torsens only really show their weaknesses when you're hitting kerbs. For tarmac rally use, rough roads make this more of a problem. For gravel rally use, it is even more of an issue.

The problem is that they are a "torque biasing" diff - if a wheel is in the air it can transmit zero torque to the ground, AND zero multiplied by anything is still zero. At that point, they're not working as an LSD.
    If the inside wheel is still on the ground (even if it is light), then you still get much more torque transmitted to the outside wheel then you would with an open diff.

And anything that lifts a drive wheel without hitting a kerb/bump has much bigger problems than the LSD type!
    timboegads
  • This item appears to have been sold.
This discussion has been closed.