Oz Volvo Nationals 8-10 November - register today! ozvolvo.org/nationals

EOI - 240 twin cam 3.0L whiteblock B6304 swap

GhettobirdJulian (@Ghettobird) Melbourne - SE Suburbs
Complete 3.0l B6304 swap into a 2 series car.

1995 B6304f, 204hp model, Motronic M1.8

Will include powertrain, mounts, wiring, ECUs, modified downpipes & driveshaft, pipes & hoses, trans cooler, new oxy sensor etc etc etc

Pretty much every bit you'd need to plonk a 960 I6 into a 240.

Engine has fresh water pump, genuine timing belt kit, new breather, rebuilt injectors, new plugs & probably more.

Could be built with an early (2.8l) T6 bottom end, forged rods & turbo related goodies for well north of 500hp, of which the transmission can take with (valvebody & clutch pack modification)

See my build thread:
https://ozvolvo.org/discussion/2389/julians-240-t5/p9

This setup has been a hoot & dead reliable.
I started this project earlier in the year as the 240 needed a new heart, but a 5 cylinder is what I want, so the 6 is going to go.

Im looking at the 3.2 grand mark, silly offers will be totally ignored, not interested in swaps for parts or cars.

Not open to selling as a whole car, never going to happen.

bgpzfm142Klaptrap24morch_66479nugget_940alphax

Comments

• Insane value man! Whoever buys this will be a happy chappy. good luck with the sale
    Ghettobird
  • This would be siiiiick!!!
    If only money grew on trees ayy
    Ghettobird
  • iceton1975POM (MARK) (@iceton1975) Broadmeadows Victoria
    PM me Julian. plus really volvo did the 6 cylinder so engineering may not be required
  • An engine that is not of an original family of engine for the series of models, or any engine more than 20% larger than the largest original optional engine for that series, needs to be engineered to be certified.
    Ghettobird242GTSpacbgpzfm142Vee_Quejamesinc
  • An engine that is not of an original family of engine for the series of models, or any engine more than 20% larger than the largest original optional engine for that series, needs to be engineered to be certified.

Yep. In NSW, it says as much, here.
    http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/documents/roads/safety-rules/standards/vsi-06-light-vehicle-modifications.pdf

zHQmhOBh.jpg

That said, from the high quality of the swap being offered for sale (as seen as the Oz Volvo Nationals, so there should not be any drama getting engineering approval for this swap. The B6304S weighs only a little more (+20 lbs?) than a B230FT.

The change provides a 240 with at least 200 reliable, lag free, all-weather horsepower as a starting point.

JFTR @Ghettobird, could the sale be done on a drive in / drive out basis?
  • iceton1975POM (MARK) (@iceton1975) Broadmeadows Victoria
    So with the 2 series having V6 motor does this still count as you wont find many good PRV motors out there and its still a 6 cylinder rear wheel drive? Thought????
  • SpacSpac (@Spac) Canberra-ish.
    So with the 2 series having V6 motor does this still count as you wont find many good PRV motors out there and its still a 6 cylinder rear wheel drive? Thought????

Won't fly.
    The main problem is that it doesn't bolt straight in using factory parts.

The existence of the 264 makes the engineering process easier by proving that a 240 can cope with the weight and power of a six cylinder motor, but does not remove the need for an engineer's report.

The freedoms are to allow bolt-in swaps like a 2.7 PRV into a 240, or a B23 into an early 240, or a L18 into a P510.
    egadscarnut1100alphax
  • Vee_QueVee_Que (@Vee_Que) South Eastern suburbs Melbourne.

No. It's a leap to expect that. The engine mounts holding the engine are not original and cannot be compared to the factory designed units. They need to be signed off by an engineer. No ifs, buts or grey areas.

A t5 swap is not comparable to a whole engine swap with non standard brackets used. Crash safety is in question here. A t5 into a 740 uses the standard Volvo gearbox mount and bellhousing. It has nothing that is changed from oem spec to affect crash performance.

I doubt the car has engineering because it also has rx7 brakes and the unwillingness of the seller to name the engineer used unlike others.
  • Angus242164Angus (@Angus242164) Western Victoria
    edited October 2018
    Some potential buyers may not intend to road register the finished product, and may not care about VASS certification/equivalent interstate certification.

Also it's pretty easy to just do what you want if your car is already registered, and you don't let it run out post engine swap.

Also not too hard to get an engineer to sign off on the conversion if everything is done to a high standard and meets all the guidelines in VSB14.
    Ghettobirdramrodegadsbgpzfm142iceton1975
  • GhettobirdJulian (@Ghettobird) Melbourne - SE Suburbs
    In Vic, as I have stated multiple times in my build thread that this swap needs to be engineered
    I have connections to the automotove industry through my degree that I have discussed with in great length details about the swap (& similar swaps). Im even looking into using parts of the swap as my final year project, going into depth about increased engine size, fuel economy and dynamics of related automotive design making processes.
    Thicknesses, mount choice & emissions constraints makes this a rubber stamp pass example.

Gearboxes being put behind engines that exceed the rating of the gearbox is an absolute joke Alex, how many of your T5 swaps, let alone any kind of gearbox swap are still on the road? I can think of quite a few.

My swap uses/can use a stock auto cross member, stock auto trans mount, shortened driveshaft, 240 rubber mounts (FOR CRASH SAFETY), 960 uprights and stock bolt holes for engine mounts.

No cutting, no hacking, no haggard chopped up shifter holes (Looking at YOU T5 swaps)
    Try telling a VASS engineer that you had to cut the shifter hole open because of the crappy choice of gearbox, and that you had to remove the fuse box cover because the angled shifter you needed to use hits the centre console. Thats total garbage.

Why dont you have a car to demonstrate the quality of install? Vouch for its legibility and actually have one certified?
    Why dont you show us the crash data and how a different shaped gearbox, that will have a different modulus of strength will move and travel under the car in the event of an accident?

Unwillingness? Nah, you arent a potential buyer, so quit barking.
    iceton1975
  • If rod Hatfield could engineer and register his final objective (55 Chev with v12 Merlin aero engine for thrust) albeit in VIC, I'm positive a 6 piston donk can be certified
    GhettobirdserkEx850R
  • Any reasonable engineer in any state of Australia will sign this conversion off no problem at all. Best of all, it's already been tested in real world conditions over significant km's. Since it uses mostly OEM parts, it will be an absolute no-brainer for a competent VASS signatory.
    Ghettobirdgavinhnugget_940egadsEx850RVee_Que
  • The intricacies of vehicle standards is interesting and there are lots of opportunities that can be exploited depending on your interpretation and being able to convince someone that your interpretation is correct.

Its second nature to me as I do it all the time for work with standards for car parking and road design and have ended up in Land and Environment Court proceedings over it a number of times.
    No cutting, no hacking, no haggard chopped up shifter holes (Looking at YOU T5 swaps) Try telling a VASS engineer that you had to cut the shifter hole open because of the crappy choice of gearbox, and that you had to remove the fuse box cover because the angled shifter you needed to use hits the centre console. Thats total garbage.

Why dont you have a car to demonstrate the quality of install? Vouch for its legibility and actually have one certified?
    Why dont you show us the crash data and how a different shaped gearbox, that will have a different modulus of strength will move and travel under the car in the event of an accident?

Interestingly in NSW at least under VSI 6:
    "Example not requiring certification: Fitting a manual or automatic transmission and/or transaxle which fits within the original transmission tunnel and bolts to the engine directly, or by the use of an adapter plate."
    "Example requiring certification: Any modification to the transmission or driveline of a vehicle which involves the fabrication of components such as mounting cross-members and/or structural components."

So if a t5 gearbox could be fitted without hacking up the floor (as can be done in a 240) and without modifying or fabricating mount components, ie using some combo of stock parts (with enough time and research there may be an option), it wouldn't require certification.

Edit:
    Although it would be interesting how the fabrication of the driveshaft would be interpreted. Again there may be options with factory driveshaft lengths and crossover u-joints.
    alphaxegadsGhettobirdbgpzfm142
    I think with enough rooting around an off the shelf library of parts could be attained, which in the case for NSW may be enough, but for vic its pretty clear cut that it would need to be signed off
    egads
  • jamesincJames (@jamesinc) Oz Volvo Ice Fortress
    Thread cleaned up per FS rules
    Ghettobird

Thread wake up

Got some 5 cylinder ideas for the 240.

B6304 needs a home

Wilson