Falcon Wagons!

Klaptrap24Kevin (@Klaptrap24) Sydney, NSW
edited September 2018 in General
Hey guys, thought I'd ask everyones opinions on this matter:

I'm looking at later model BF Falcon wagons as a new daily and tow rig. I want something with at least 4 seats, good power, RWD, 2t+ towing cap, loads of space and within the $5-7k budget. It needs to fit a full drum kit and 2xguitar and amp setups, which is why a lot of hatches and smaller wagons don't really fit my bill.

Commodores have a lower towing capacity and less cargo space, and utilities such as hiluxes either do not have enough space (dual cab trays are small) or not enough seats (single cabs), which is why the Falcon is at the top of my list. Utilities and vans have much higher rego costs which is why I'm choosing to stay away. Falcons have cheap parts, they're seemingly reliable, good power, safety, space and ok economy. I've read a few reviews on Falcons in general and it seems that there are mixed thoughts on these cars.

Does anyone know what to look for with these cars? General problems they have etc. If anyone has other vehicles they want to recommend please comment.

Many thanks in advance
Vee_Que

Comments

• Mk3 non white/yellow bf on gas is very kissy fingers. Non white/yellow makes for not ex taxi. @AshDVS can probably throw some good pointers
    Klaptrap24Vee_Que
  • PaddlerEdPaddler Ed (@PaddlerEd) New England Region, NSW
    Got a mate who has a his and her's pair of Falcons:
    -His: BA Ute with V8
    -Her's BA Wagon with V8
    Both white...
    good old fArmidale, where money comes in both kinds; cash and grog
    Klaptrap24
  • Got a mate who has a his and her's pair of Falcons:
    -Her's BA Wagon with V8
    Both white...

did the wagons come standard with a v8? i've not found any :open_mouth:
  • PaddlerEdPaddler Ed (@PaddlerEd) New England Region, NSW
    Got a mate who has a his and her's pair of Falcons:
    -Her's BA Wagon with V8
    Both white...

did the wagons come standard with a v8? i've not found any :open_mouth:

Now I'm confused - I thought it was a V8... but now I'm not so sure...
  • Klaptrap24Kevin (@Klaptrap24) Sydney, NSW
    edited September 2018
    I think the AUs were the last wagons with v8s from factory
    egads
  • You say you don't want a van, but you need a slammed hiace in your life. Storm trooper or cylon colour scheme. 3rz's are good motors too.

Why not another Volvo? You already know them, and at that price range you could get a turbo wagon.

This has nothing to do with your circumstance, but in my old 240 sedan I fit a full kit, quad speaker amp and a few other bits and pieces, still had plenty more room for other gear. It was a coordinated effort though.
    nugget_940
  • You say you don't want a van, but you need a slammed hiace in your life. Storm trooper or cylon colour scheme. 3rz's are good motors too.

Why not another Volvo? You already know them, and at that price range you could get a turbo wagon.

This has nothing to do with your circumstance, but in my old 240 sedan I fit a full kit, quad speaker amp and a few other bits and pieces, still had plenty more room for other gear. It was a coordinated effort though.

I don't mean to disrespect the mighty rwd volvo (as I love my 240 wagon and have no trouble fitting things in it) but they're all at least 25 years old, parts are getting scarcer and more expensive and they're outdated in terms of safety.
    Spac
  • I can't comment on BFs but one of my daughters has an AU that gets minimal love but just goes on and on with little drama. Australian Ford Forums can probably answer many of your questions
    Klaptrap24
  • edited September 2018
    240 wagon is the obvious choice. Safer than a falcon and I can hook up parts for you no problem
    paul0075
  • Ex850RSnoopy (@Ex850R) Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Melbourne.
    It's the ideal choice for what you want.
    On gas better of course.
    Gearbox needs flush like volvo ones.
    Get some decent springs, shocks and bushes under it, it is a boat after all!
    Get some nicer later seats out of a luxury version maybe.
    Put sound deadening in all doors up the back and maybe roof if you can be bothered.
    A bull bar suitable for the airbags a good idea.

All could be in your budget.
    A Territory could be good too?
    The F6 version....
    cancer sucks
    Klaptrap24
  • 240 wagon is the obvious choice. Safer than a falcon and I can hook up parts for you no problem

I highly doubt a 240 wagon matches up to a late 2000s falcon in the safety department...
    Vee_QueSpac
  • 240 wagon is the obvious choice. Safer than a falcon and I can hook up parts for you no problem

This is untrue. Cooler sure, more likely to have been looked after sure, but safety came a long way
    Ghettobird240Vee_Que
  • I'm sure you can find the road death statistics somewhere, I know what I'd rather be driving at 80 kph when someone pulls out in front
  • BF Falcon gets 3 stars used car safety rating. Not amazing, but better than a 240, which was down to 2 stars when it dropped off the list a while ago
    egadsVee_QueSpac
  • The Falcons are generally very reliable. Look out for clunks from the rear I do lots of tailshaft centre bearings and the rubber couplings on the gearbox to tailshaft.
    Wagon should have solid rear diff so will avoid the costly diff bush problems of the IRS models.
    Look for external trans cooler as the factory heat exchangers fail and take out the gearbox with coolant contamination.
    Ignition and indicator switches fail and also the blend door rods in the HVAC so check it changes from hot to cold properly and no clicking under dash.
    Sometimes the gearshift cables fail but not a huge issue to replace. You should be able to handle most of the maintenance issues that crop up
    egadsKlaptrap24Vee_Que
  • AshDVSAsh (@AshDVS) - Geelong, VIC
    Basically reliable and nothing you cant really handle yourself.
    The only real issue with buying one is that once you've bought one, you then have a BF wagon.

At that point, you're a pair of velcro shoes and tracksuit pants away from letting the world know that you've given up on life.
    Likes good coffee & motorsport. Builds stuff. Occasionally races stuff.
    f: https://www.facebook.com/DvsPerformanceParts
    twitter & instagram: ashd61 | w: http://www.dvs.net.au
    Klaptrap24nugget_940Ex850Regadscarnut222Vee_Quepigdog
  • Basically reliable and nothing you cant really handle yourself.
    The only real issue with buying one is that once you've bought one, you then have a BF wagon.

At that point, you're a pair of velcro shoes and tracksuit pants away from letting the world know that you've given up on life.

Already have the tracksuit pants, just need the velcro shoes and BF wagon :tired_face:
    AshDVSegadsVee_Que
  • The Falcons are generally very reliable. Look out for clunks from the rear I do lots of tailshaft centre bearings and the rubber couplings on the gearbox to tailshaft.
    Wagon should have solid rear diff so will avoid the costly diff bush problems of the IRS models.
    Look for external trans cooler as the factory heat exchangers fail and take out the gearbox with coolant contamination.
    Ignition and indicator switches fail and also the blend door rods in the HVAC so check it changes from hot to cold properly and no clicking under dash.
    Sometimes the gearshift cables fail but not a huge issue to replace. You should be able to handle most of the maintenance issues that crop up

cheers timbo this is useful
  • Ex850RSnoopy (@Ex850R) Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Melbourne.
    Basically reliable and nothing you cant really handle yourself.

Already have the tracksuit pants, just need the velcro shoes and BF wagon :tired_face:

Maybe we can do ago fund me for you....
    Klaptrap24
  • edited September 2018
    You say you don't want a van, but you need a slammed hiace in your life. Storm trooper or cylon colour scheme. 3rz's are good motors too.

HiAce is the shittest car in the world! They look ugly, drive terribly, handle awfully, rust and have an engine located under the driver. They are just super stupid cars that could only come out of one of the stupidest car companies.

+1 for a 740 wagon for space, budget etc etc, but he did say 2 tonne towing capacity. I love my 740's but I'd only tow 2T with one of I had no alternative.
    egadsKlaptrap24Ex850RVee_Que