The forums were recently upgraded, and this may alter behavior or break things. If you notice problems, check and report them in this thread

260 manual conversion

Just finished doing a manual conversion on my 262C so I thought I'd post some info.
I parted out an '80 264GLE manual to get most of the parts.
I wanted it to be manual so it would be better to drive and have better fuel usage. plus the BW55 was terrible, I had considered fitting an AW71, but I'd prefer to have a manual. with the 3 speed at 110 it would rev at 3500rpm, fuel economy and acceleration were pretty bad. The car has a recently rebuilt B28E with bigger exhaust and some minor modifications, so I was happy to keep the current engine.

yr9gzrOh.jpg
J2bgwrBh.jpg
vAjwJsph.jpg

Before
Ez7annFh.jpg
1mbDTuuh.jpg
Zc510ZEh.jpg

Manual parts
DwDlUCwh.jpg
@Angus242164 supplied a new clutch hose
6Iag4H0h.jpg
3Ll5MVHh.jpg
HH4Qajlh.jpg

I have a band new V6 clutch spare, but when I removed the one from the parts car it appeared to be almost new, so I decided to use it. I used the pedal box from an '89 240 since it was already removed, basically everything else came from the 264 or was bought new.
LxsWKI9h.jpg
w2u3QjTh.jpg
New pressure plate bolts with T40 head
SCqUtPJh.jpg
L5LU25jh.jpg
Owe5WI9h.jpg

Auto pedal box and firewall panel removed
2Ktuz3Uh.jpg
HzW87bLh.jpg

Also took the opportunity to fit a later brake booster, the early one worked fine but the hole for the check valve is bigger and a standard seal//valve doesn't fit.
J66yCLYh.jpg

Manual firewall panel installed
UPfjz3Fh.jpg

Pedal box fitted with new pedal covers
Qy1btObh.jpg

Clutch master cylinder installed
0KOd1r5h.jpg

Auto removed
Xq7bEUTh.jpg
bPP4v3sh.jpg

Flywheel, pilot bearing, new rear main seal, and clutch installed.
jCoSYeGh.jpg
vC7X60yh.jpg

Clutch hydraulics and throw out bearing installed
wcXBI3vh.jpg
PJEZN4Sh.jpg

Gearbox and shiftier installed
FfwqAQqh.jpg
kQCTJ5th.jpg
KoDXIgDh.jpg

Clutch hose connected, not much clearance on a V6.
ufFqmtdh.jpg
Vibration dampener and OD solenoid installed
s25oDjDh.jpg
Tailshaft installed
sYSMd49h.jpg

After running it I realised the gearbox was sitting too high and the shiftier linkage was rubbing on the top of the tunnel. I fitted these spacers off an AW71 240 and it sits at the correct height.
YQO3raEh.jpg

Bertone gear knob with tan leather cover, the overdrive is on the end of a wagon wiper stalk.
vYkBR0gh.jpg

Its much nicer to drive now, acceleration is better and a lot more responsive.
Next I plan to fit some bronze shiftier bushes and a slightly different leather cover
timbocarnut222Angus242164egadsOldnDecrepitbgpzfm142carnut1100nugget_940Vee_QueKlaptrap24and 5 others.

Comments

• Great job Duncan. I can imagine it would be much better to drive, based on my experience of manual vs. auto 4-cylinder 240s. Look forward to seeing the car some day!
    DCW242
  • I remember machining that flywheel!

Very detailed write up, it will totally transform the driving experience.
    DCW242
  • Awesome job, thanks for documenting and sharing
    DCW242
  • Vee_QueVee_Que (@Vee_Que) South Eastern suburbs Melbourne.
    Good write up. I loved my 264 after i converted it to manual in 2006.

Does it have a bracket for the exhaust? I always lost my exhaust gaskets at the manifold to downpipe because it wasn't supported.
    DCW242Ex850R
  • DCW242Duncan (@DCW242) - point cook. victoria
    Great job Duncan. I can imagine it would be much better to drive, based on my experience of manual vs. auto 4-cylinder 240s. Look forward to seeing the car some day!

Thanks Greg, the M46 is the same ratios as a 240 one but the V6 and 3.54 diff make it very different to drive.
    It would be good to get it to some events, lowering springs and window tinting is next.
    I remember machining that flywheel!

Very detailed write up, it will totally transform the driving experience.

Thanks. That was the flywheel for the 264 manual conversion, this one was freshly machined from the parts car. If I need to fit the new clutch I'll get you to do this on as well.
    Awesome job, thanks for documenting and sharing

Thanks, I can't imagine many people have done or are planning to do this conversion but I figure it's good to document it.
    Good write up. I loved my 264 after i converted it to manual in 2006.

Does it have a bracket for the exhaust? I always lost my exhaust gaskets at the manifold to downpipe because it wasn't supported.

Thanks, I haven't drive it much yet but it's already a lot better, after I fit some better springs and shocks it should be really good all round.

I don't have any manual exhaust brackets, only one auto one. the holes are in the wrong position but it looks like it wouldn't be too hard to make it fit. When I was doing this one of the studs broke off the manifold flange so I'll need to fix that first. Those gaskets still gave problems on my 264 which did have an exhaust bracket.
    egadsVee_Que
  • Ex850RSnoopy (@Ex850R) Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Melbourne.
    Great write up and pix!
    Did the donor have the quad headlights?
    Are they still available if so?
    I've wanted a set for future use on project, one day, of course!

Loveyerwerk!
  • DCW242Duncan (@DCW242) - point cook. victoria
    Great write up and pix!
    Did the donor have the quad headlights?
    Are they still available if so?
    I've wanted a set for future use on project, one day, of course!

Loveyerwerk!

Thanks. It does have quad lights but I plan to use them on my 242GT, I'll let you know if I have a spare set once I've put all the best bits together.
    Vee_Que
  • Ex850RSnoopy (@Ex850R) Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Melbourne.
    Cheers, it was my intention to do my 245 78 with quads.
    Looking on USA eboy, there were a couple.
    There are real upgrades for the lamps, JW Speaker, etc...