Greg’s 1979 244DL white 4-speed manual single carb

carnut222carnut222 (@carnut222) Daylesford VIC
edited October 2018 in RWD
Decided to hold onto this for a while, so withdrawing from sale and I will continue it as a build thread.

OK, I have 2 79 240s and 1 has to go, being the white sedan. No rust, paint is decent as is interior (except for crack in dash - has carpet dash mat). Car has not been driven for about 21 years I'm guessing, and was stored in a dry shed in Wangaratta VIC since then. My plan is to get it running and driving, but I thought I'd put it out there for anyone who might be interested as-is before I start putting money into it and upping the price. Not many out there in rust-free condition, and not needing a re-spray, so it could be a great project for somebody, otherwise I will take it on and put it on club plates. Any questions, please let me know. Happy to take more pics. I just had the cars transported from Wangaratta to Daylesford, so easier for somebody in Melb to pick it up now.
6TKCH3Th.jpg
pruekBbh.jpg
UpPVyBWh.jpg
2Fxuz4Ah.jpg
ctpFTsNh.jpg
xU1IwaFh.jpg
rCeGhfih.jpg
G0ezU2Oh.jpg
spl9N59h.jpg
Vee_Quepaul0075bowiegoodenough

Comments

• Very nice 👍
  • Vee_QueVee_Que (@Vee_Que) South Eastern suburbs Melbourne.
    That is neat!
  • Thanks guys. Yep, it’s very straight and being rust free and with decent paint, I think it could make a good club car for somebody...being carby it should be cheap to maintain with no K-jet woes! ;)
    goodenoughegadsSpacpaul0075Vee_Que
  • SpacSpac (@Spac) Canberra-ish.
    I am interested, I will pm you

I see that you are going through the "see 240, buy 240" phase.
    It will pass in three to six years.
    egadsVolvoHordzEssbosVee_QuegoodenoughbowieAshDVS
  • jamesincJames (@jamesinc) Oz Volvo Ice Fortress
    I am interested, I will pm you

I see that you are going through the "see 240, buy 240" phase.
    It will pass in three to six years.

Nah Billie has loads of sill rust and generally poor body work, I'm thinking to swap everything into a better car.
    Vee_Quegoodenough
  • SpacSpac (@Spac) Canberra-ish.
    Ok. Sydney is not good to cars. :(
    egads
  • jamesincJames (@jamesinc) Oz Volvo Ice Fortress
    edited July 2018
    Ok. Sydney is not good to cars. :(
    It needs new sills. I could patch them but there's a fair bit of rust. It's about $500 for a pair of new stamped sill panels. Then there's the fact that there's minor bits of rust all over the car, in the rear arches, around the windscreen, and after all that the bodywork is poor, with lots of large scratches, the bootlid is deformed and pockmarked, the FR guard is bent from a roo incursion event, the FL guard is the wrong colour. The bonnet has minor damage and a dent where a rogue golf ball hit it.

The car has seen some shit, that's for sure. The biggest issue for rust I think has been the salted roads we get when we take it down to Perisher. It spends a few weeks there each year and doesn't get the salt washed off until we pass the Cooma self-serve car wash on the way home. The car had no rot when you sold it to me back in 2014 but it was pretty close to it, there was a lot of spot rust appearing. I chased down a bunch of it but the sills have deteriorated very quickly.
    Vee_Quegoodenough
  • I'm holding this for James at the moment. If anyone would like 2nd right of refusal, lemme know! :)
    SpacVee_Quegoodenough
  • OK, James has had to drop out...I’ve posted a heap of pics on DropBox if anyone is interested in having a closer look. Link below.
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/29kmoyqlybtws30/AACJATa7B-6ivwPrqKbxW6_Za?dl=0
    egadsVee_Que
  • Looks nice Greg, but old yellow looks better... Coming up for sale?😜
    carnut222
  • Looks nice Greg, but old yellow looks better... Coming up for sale?😜
    I’ll sell it to you for one MILLION dollars! ;) Actually the white one is in a lot better condition paint-wise and interior too really. A shame as I like the yellow wagon a lot better. Bugger!
    245crazyVee_Que
  • How soon does it need to go?
  • How soon does it need to go?
    No real rush. I got stuck into it today. Removed faulty hood release cable - when I washed the car on the weekend water ran down inside the floor where the hood cable passes through the dash as it had pulled out of the hole. Carpet out. No rust, but it was wet on driver’s side from my washing it. Good I caught it. The foam and tar insulation is toast, so I’ll find something better to replace it with. This car is amazingly clean. I was looking to drain the petrol tank, but no drain plug like on the 81 wagon??? Hmm.
    goodenoughegadsVee_Que
  • OK, I have 2 79 240s and 1 has to go, being the white sedan. ....]rCeGhfi.jpg[/url]

Is that a W108 or W114/W115 undercover? Not a common colour but nice.
  • OK, I have 2 79 240s and 1 has to go, being the white sedan. ....]rCeGhfi.jpg[/url]

Is that a W108 or W114/W115 undercover? Not a common colour but nice.

Hi - sorry no idea as that's a photo of the car when I went to see it at the previous owner's house. He had a couple Mercs and Jags, and of course these 2 Volvos.
  • Ex850RSnoopy (@Ex850R) Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Melbourne.
    This would be great for daughters first car! What does it need to be Rego do you reckon? Pm me bro.
    cancer sucks
  • jrcjJohn C (@jrc) Lindfield NSW
    Nice looking car . B21A should be pretty understressed.

The water issue was a bit of a bane of some of those first generation 240s. I had diabolical trouble with my 75 245 the water came in partly from the rubber throat on the heater air intake and dribbled down the firewall. I baulked at taking the whole heater out to fix it.

It also came in via cracks in the seam along the sill - Volvo for reasons m=better known to themselves routed the drain water along the sills not neatly down hoses like an 850.

My solution was to keep the car under cover as much as possible; I alo poured silicone sealant that i had diluted with a solvent (light silicone oil) and used the jack to cause it to run the way i wanted it to. Fiddly though. For all the safety stuff i thought volvo could ahve done better on that design.
  • Nice looking car . B21A should be pretty understressed.

The water issue was a bit of a bane of some of those first generation 240s. I had diabolical trouble with my 75 245 the water came in partly from the rubber throat on the heater air intake and dribbled down the firewall. I baulked at taking the whole heater out to fix it.

It also came in via cracks in the seam along the sill - Volvo for reasons m=better known to themselves routed the drain water along the sills not neatly down hoses like an 850.

My solution was to keep the car under cover as much as possible; I alo poured silicone sealant that i had diluted with a solvent (light silicone oil) and used the jack to cause it to run the way i wanted it to. Fiddly though. For all the safety stuff i thought volvo could ahve done better on that design.
    Yep! I’ve been having a good look at how the plenum is meant to drain etc. Basically it drains into the front of the rocker sills, and there’s only the small slots in the bottom rocker pinchweld flange to let out any water and debris. Not really big enough for leaves, so the whole front of the rocker cavity was full of leaves. I was able to vacuum them out through the plug holes in the inner sill. May cut off the top of the plenum panel on my parts car that is headed to the crusher to see exactly what happens when leaves fall through the vent grille below the windscreen. I assume it’s a relatively smooth path to the end of the plenum panel then they drop into the front of the sill. I pulled the fresh air flow vents out too, and I can feel there’s a baffle panel above those to prevent water dripping down through them. I guess the design was probably state of the art at the time, but nowadays the water and debris is a lot better managed. At least that was my experience at Holden on the later Commodores.
    Vee_Que