Lachie's 360 Build Thread

Preparing for the arrival of my new project, this 1986 360 GLT:
T8Byhtph.jpg

I have been getting into other threads on the forums, including Alex's and slowly building up a game plan.
I have a b230fk donor car and the current plan is to use a 240 lh2.4 loom to simplify the wiring.

NA engine bay:
rfhVUWkh.jpg

Current concerns are mainly drivetrain related he flywheel and gearbox.

What's Diff availability like? Is it true the diff cores are similar to 240 ones?

M47 internals similarities, can the gearbox be replaced with one from a 740 with the front and rear covers from the 360?

Flywheel - Wont work with LH2.4, is there any other options rather than spending what I did on the entire car on one from TTV...?

Thanks for any help!
r9rKCvJh.jpg
WqIpGAHh.jpg
69mhQH2h.jpg
Ghettobirdnugget_940egadsgoodenoughRaebirdpieboyfreshcarnut222Tassie6er242GT

Comments

• GhettobirdJulian (@Ghettobird) Melbourne - SE Suburbs
    <3
  • Vee_QueVee_Que (@Vee_Que) South Eastern suburbs Melbourne.
    You can drill a flat flywheel to suit, or drill the extra holes into the stock 360 flywheel to match lh2.4. There never seems to be next success stories so I don't know more than that.

The 360 uses a transaxle, so the internals of the box are the same, but iirc, Mounted on thier side, so effectively no relation. Like a m90 and 850 m58
    egads
  • jamesincJames (@jamesinc) Oz Volvo Ice Fortress
    @MrSharpie I don't know if you could replace the whole gearbox, but I'm pretty sure you could use a regular M47 as a donor for the internals of an M47R, as internally it is supposed to just be an M47 set at 90 degrees to a normal M47.
    goodenoughegadsVee_Que
    Im so keen for this thing

Im looking at LSD options for it, and how closely related the cores are to the 240s
    jamesinc
  • RaebirdRaebird (@Raebird) Springfield Lakes, Qld.
    Im so keen for this thing

Im looking at LSD options for it, and how closely related the cores are to the 240s

Classic Swede does an lsd for the transaxle.
    360GLT - Will eventually be AQ171 powered!
    240GL - No frills street racecar... Maybe a couple of frills...
  • edited November 2018
    Hey @MrSharpie nice 360. I like the painted bumpers! Of all 6 360's I've had, none of them had painted bumpers.

Classic swede Torsens lsd.. he needs to take your $$ upfront ($1500) and do a group pre-order... Need to wait for the demand.

As for the flywheel. You need an LH2.4 compatible flywheel, check out this thread:
    http://www.volvo300mania.com/uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=15882

I don't think the 360 clutch will handle boosted power. The other problem is some other clutches appear to impact on the 360 bellhousing. I don't think it's that much of a problem, and I've heard people have just used a grinder to take off some material from the bellhousing to accommodate. I'm yet to get to that stage, but I should be there in a few months.

The job entails:
    Swap from 360 engine - sump, oil pump, water pump + pulley, water pump lines (to heater core), optional to swap distributor + intermediate shaft.
    Typically you can say goodbye the the air-conditioning. Removin the heater box will also clear up a bunch of space and is something that I will be removing.

You'll need to make up a bracket for the Crank Position Sensor to fix to the 360 bell housing.
    Find a place for the intercooler and sort piping.

Wiring loom...hoorah. I don't recommend the 940 loom 😂 one from a lh 2.4 compatible 240 is desirable? As I've been told. Classic swede sells a custom lh 2.4 conversion loom. You need to upgrade the injectors to the white or orange injectors from a T5 engine if you choose to use the loom. Or you could just grab one from an LH2.4 240?.. Or so I've been told.

Exhaust is tricky. Not much space to work with. A custom downpipe will be required. As I've read. Check out that link I sent you. It's far from a complete write up, but it shows you what can be done, generally.
    Dave Barton also does lh2.4 harnesses, fairly expensive but you get a new harness rather than a partially deteriorated 2nd hand one.

I have a stockpile of transaxles, I buy them when they come up and I have the cash, just in case I ever have the need to replace one.
    ALVO360
  • edited November 2018
    So... Has this 360 been bought?
    @Raebird I'm interested in Dave Barton's loom... I've ordered one from Classic swede but that was over 3 weeks ago and I can't get a hold of CS to save my life. So damn frustrating.
    @Raebird I'm interested in Dave Barton's loom... I've ordered one from Classic swede but that was over 3 weeks ago and I can't get a hold of CS to save my life. So damn frustrating.

I am still waiting on a boot latch seal for my 360 from classic swede, been a couple of years now and his customer contact has been poor at best, I refuse to buy anything from him again atleast until I get my seal and or my money back.
  • edited December 2018

I am still waiting on a boot latch seal for my 360 from classic swede, been a couple of years now and his customer contact has been poor at best, I refuse to buy anything from him again atleast until I get my seal and or my money back.

What?!? Does he have your money? You know, as far as business and customer management goes, he has dropped the ball on me several times. But I realised why. He has a full time day job and he does the classic swede shop in his spare time. It's been 36 days since I made my order and he has recently advised me that my order will be sent out on Monday. I don't think he is dishonest or trying to screw people around. I believe he just doesn't have the time his business and customers need from him. Not that it's really a valid excuse, but it's a reason.
    On that note...If I could pre-order a Torsens LSD from him and get it to my house (6-8 month lead time) would you be interested in buying one? Maybe @MrSharpie and/or @Ghettobird might be interested in one? Dai needs 3 more people to put down deposits to get the order going. Expect $1500AUD as the cost. May be cheaper but $1500 is a wise expectation.
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    This is relevant to my interests

What?!? Does he have your money? You know, as far as business and customer management goes, he has dropped the ball on me several times. But I realised why. He has a full time day job and he does the classic swede shop in his spare time. It's been 36 days since I made my order and he has recently advised me that my order will be sent out on Monday. I don't think he is dishonest or trying to screw people around. I believe he just doesn't have the time his business and customers need from him. Not that it's really a valid excuse, but it's a reason.
    On that note...If I could pre-order a Torsens LSD from him and get it to my house (6-8 month lead time) would you be interested in buying one? Maybe @MrSharpie and/or @Ghettobird might be interested in one? Dai needs 3 more people to put down deposits to get the order going. Expect $1500AUD as the cost. May be cheaper but $1500 is a wise expectation.

@ALVO360 I already have one fitted to my 360, bought it back when miniswift on the V3M forum was making them sorry.
  • So... Has this 360 been bought?

@ALVO360 I already have one fitted to my 360, bought it back when miniswift on the V3M forum was making them sorry.

That's awesome. Is it everything you dreamed it to be? Well worth the $$$?

TBH I haven’t driven the car enough to say either way, the little driving I have done with it has been positive so far.
    ALVO360
  • So... Has this 360 been bought?

TBH I haven’t driven the car enough to say either way, the little driving I have done with it has been positive so far.

I wish to join you one day. I was thinking of enquiring into getting a boot lock seal 3D scanned and printed. I've found someone who can print TPU material (Thermoplastic PolyUrethane) which will likely be suitable to use. It's essentially water proof. I'm not sure how plausible it would be, but If I works I'll make you one and send it your way.
    Raebird

I wish to join you one day. I was thinking of enquiring into getting a boot lock seal 3D scanned and printed. I've found someone who can print TPU material (Thermoplastic PolyUrethane) which will likely be suitable to use. It's essentially water proof. I'm not sure how plausible it would be, but If I works I'll make you one and send it your way.

I appreciate it, however I would still like to get the one I paid for or my money back, probably have a better chance of getting your one sooner 😔.
    Quoteception
    Ease up a lil guys XD

b5e545e09d.png
    jamesincALVO360nugget_940
    Also to clarify, Lachie never actually went through with the purchase, or rather the young lady who owned it changed her mind, IIRC Its been sold off now, shame as I was really keen to work on a nice 360
  • Also to clarify, Lachie never actually went through with the purchase, or rather the young lady who owned it changed her mind, IIRC Its been sold off now, shame as I was really keen to work on a nice 360

That is a shame. I was wondering about this as Lachie hadn't made any further comments.
    Ghettobird