XC60 New 2005 XC90 Owner Questions

Hi folks. I've just purchased an 2005 XC90 2.5T 7 seater.
I'm from Melbourne but originally from Poland.
I always wanted that car, now its mine and I have a couple of questions if anyone feels like chiming in.
The car has 75k km on the clock, what seams to be genuine according to service book. Car was regulary serviced by Trivett Volvo in NSW.
Unfortunately there is no information what was done with car.

Should I change oil ? If yes what's better Castrol Edge 5w30 or Penrite HPR10 ?
What type of oil filter I should get, is it possible to change oil filter without special tool?
What else I need to change on that stage? petrol filter ? coolant ?

I have small issue with power steering, its a bit to heavy, my old 2002 subaru forester turns better, I'll try to flush power steering fluid. Is Penrite Ldas good enough, how many bottles i should get to do the proper flush? if that not going to change anything whats the next step ? Servotronic relay ?

And last thing Gearbox. I have a feeling that it's changing gears too fast and idle is too big, maybe I'm overthinking. Ist that correct that gears are changed between 2500 - 3000 rpm.
When is the perfect moment for gearbox and differential oil change?
Maybe there is someone here with same car from Melbourne and wouldn't mind to drive my car for few minutes to tell me if that gearbox works correctly or not. I'll pay back in good wine.

Many many thanks.

Artur

Comments

• Cam belt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Ex850RSnoopy (@Ex850R) Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Melbourne.
    Welcome Artur!
    Great choice! If you head over to Berry Motor Group, see Graeme or Mark.
    Voldat can help too, Mark or John.
    @VolvoDeger, Steve can help too.
    They will talk you through the gearbox fluid change method, and yes, do all fluids now.
    If you want to go Penrite hpr I have most of 10 litre pack left from my v70r days. I don't have filters but the guys above or Sandwood Trading here do.
    Or, we buy stuff from FCP or IPD in 🇺🇸 or Partsforvolvo online in UK 🇬🇧.
    The post cost is worth it as prices are cheap.

Show us a pic or two of the beast.
    Cam belt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This.
    Plus water pump and tensioner, idler pulley.
    Thermostat too.
  • Thanks for that.
    I'll add photos tomorrow.
    Just to sum up:

1) Penrite HPR10 is good enough or I should get something with Acea A5/B5 norm from Europe?
    2) Penrite LDAS for power steering or i should find somewhere Volvo 30741424
    3) 75k is always time for cam belt, water pump etc. or its related to the car year?

• Year thing on the belt
    Its 3+ years overdue
    Trans flush
    Software update at Volvo

FYI trivett has been out of business for 2 years now
    I was told they lost their dealer franchise license for shoddy work

• Year thing on the belt
    FYI trivett has been out of business for 2 years now
    I was told they lost their dealer franchise license for shoddy work

:( I thought that was good authorised volvo service place HFAlbE6h.jpg

• Year thing on the belt

Software update at Volvo

Quick question about software update: where to go in Melbourne?
    is that part of any basic service ?

Thanks in advance

Update can be done separate, ask Mark at Berry's who is best to go to price wise, or who they use.
    Penrite hpr10 is brilliant. You can have mine cheap. I've got same in hpr15 too, left over. From wife's car.
    Unsure on power steer, any good dot4 I expect,dont quote me. @Philia_Bear? @volvodeger?

I have all the cambelt water and bits to do that service sitting here too iirc. I'm in Altona, work Reservoir. You can have cheap.
    Pm me if you want.
    Les
    kyril
  • Unsure on power steer, any good dot4 I expect,dont quote me.
    LDAS is a suitable power steering fluid dot 4 is brake fluid
    Ex850Regads
  • Update can be done separate, ask Mark at Berry's who is best to go to price wise, or who they use.
    Penrite hpr10 is brilliant. You can have mine cheap. I've got same in hpr15 too, left over. From wife's car.
    Unsure on power steer, any good dot4 I expect,dont quote me. @Philia_Bear? @volvodeger?

I have all the cambelt water and bits to do that service sitting here too iirc. I'm in Altona, work Reservoir. You can have cheap.
    Pm me if you want.
    Les

Snoopy thanks heaps for your offer. I'm pretty sure I'll use Your offer .
    But first I'll go to Berry's to check if there is any point of investing money into that car.
    I just spotted that whole connection between engine and gearbox is made of silicone sealant what I'm guessing isn't normal and its leaking :angry:

I need to ask them as well if my car is still AWD :(

itXhRw0h.jpg
    Dmj6Vglh.jpg
    yoJVJR1h.jpg
    kAwCL5Zh.jpg
    Damn! Maybe gearbox was replaced already. Hopefully with good one by a decent place but if that seal is anything to go by I wonder.
  • It could also have been done to pass RWC. The original seal may still be there, just covered with sealant
  • Hi all and sorry to jump in an old thread but I’m hoping OP doesn’t mind too much, after all, nothing worse than repetitive thread headings. Also, OP, such low klms? My girl is at around 255k!

I bought my elegant lady last year fully aware from the dealer the timing belt needed to be changed (not yet done almost 12 months later, in other news I’m looking for a new mechanic if anyone can recommend in the Knox area) however I’m noticing an ammonia type smell when she gets warm on the freeway, the trans gives a huge clunk when falling into gear after a delay which can be barely noticeable to quite startling, the brakes shudder especially when slowing from speed but I also get speed wobbles at 110 plus and I know I’m missing things.

Oh the fuel gauge doesn’t go below half a tank so I have to use Klms til empty display and the DVD player doesn’t drop down, the park brake isn’t worthy of the name and so on.

Ladies and gentleman, please help, I don’t know much about cars but can repay in other advice, I know about books, wine, cheese and real estate for example? 🤣 I’m totally lost and yet hopelessly in love with my first Volvo and determined to nurse her back to health.

pic for attention.

• Your best bet is Berry Motor Group in Mitcham, independent Volvo mechanics

You could start a new thread on your car.

Keep us updated

Best to have timing belt done or lose the motor......

Of course the other items need done too, gearbox may come good with fluid flush ,the folks at BMG are great.

Alternatively, VOLDAT in Moorabbin are great too.